Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
@Sublime one
Wanted to give you an update on the wildcat cartridge. I have unofficially named it the 300TCJ,
I have fitted the barrel to the action. And I got the chamber cut yesterday. Like I said in my last post I have to cut the neck and throat separately I haven't done that yet. Still haven't decided on a reamer yet. But the chamber is cut. And I made up 21 cases yesterday and fire formed one (with a shortend neck obviously) is still have alot to do on the actual action. I have to cut and weld the bolt to clear a scope. Drill and tap the action. Mount the base and build a stock. I'm getting excited for it I'm hoping to get it done by November and be able to take it hunting this year!
Here is a picture of the fireformed case (no neck) compared to the mock up case I originally made.
View attachment 1716294896

View attachment 1716294897
Looks like a 30-06 Ackley. Remind me of what the parent cartridge is? I love wildcats but I need to better select my applications. Necking, trimming, forming, and neck turning 500 cases to shoot ground squirrels with is a lot of work.

Looks like a 30-06 Ackley. Remind me of what the parent cartridge is? I love wildcats but I need to better select my applications. Necking, trimming, forming, and neck turning 500 cases to shoot ground squirrels with is a lot of work.
The parent case is a 3006. I've tried 270s and 8x57 but the 3006 is the easiest. The cartridge is based off of a lengthened 300 savage. It is a 30 degree shoulder 30 cal at 2.25 length.
To make the case I simply run a 3006 thru a 300 savage die and push the shoulder back to where it needs to be and trim it to 2.25. The 20 I made last night I trimmed a little short but they have to be fireformed so It should stretch out a little!

@Sublime one
Wanted to give you an update on the wildcat cartridge. I have unofficially named it the 300TCJ,
I have fitted the barrel to the action. And I got the chamber cut yesterday. Like I said in my last post I have to cut the neck and throat separately I haven't done that yet. Still haven't decided on a reamer yet. But the chamber is cut. And I made up 21 cases yesterday and fire formed one (with a shortend neck obviously) is still have alot to do on the actual action. I have to cut and weld the bolt to clear a scope. Drill and tap the action. Mount the base and build a stock. I'm getting excited for it I'm hoping to get it done by November and be able to take it hunting this year!
Here is a picture of the fireformed case (no neck) compared to the mock up case I originally made.
View attachment 1716294896

View attachment 1716294897
Man that is sure a lot of work, folks for the most part don’t really understand all the second and third tier solutions you have to come up with when creating a cartridge. Being in Arkansas we have access to a lot of firearm creativity and custom stuff. I am very fortunate to be able to get a lot of inside looks on the manufacturing side of both ammo and firearms. You get to where you run a couple dummies save me one, I will shadow box it and put it in the shop. Nice work guy.

New pooch is doing well. The GF has another dog and a couple of cats, they get along well. Any rescue has sone settling in time but so far so good.
That is a solid fact right there, you really don’t know what you got with a rescue till about 4-6 weeks. Depending on what the dog has been thru it can easily be longer. Sounds like you got a good one.

Man that is sure a lot of work, folks for the most part don’t really understand all the second and third tier solutions you have to come up with when creating a cartridge. Being in Arkansas we have access to a lot of firearm creativity and custom stuff. I am very fortunate to be able to get a lot of inside looks on the manufacturing side of both ammo and firearms. You get to where you run a couple dummies save me one, I will shadow box it and put it in the shop. Nice work guy.
Thanks man! Yea its alot of work but fun work! It's something I've always wanted to do. And so far I've done it all without any heavy machinery! Ie lathe, mill, etc. I cut that chamber by hand. I am soon going to invest in a lathe tho I've been wanting one for several years I'm getting into some pretty extensive projects and it's time ! Lol I will for sure send you some dummy rounds for you collection! Maybe someday it will be in a book and you will have one of the prototypes lol. I seriously doubt that it's not a marketable cartridge sadly Noone builds mausers anymore I'm still living in the past haha. Unfortunately I'm down to my last 2 mausers and I guess I'm done my mauser source has officially dried up I can't find them anywhere anymore. I was getting them thru sarco Inc but everything they had are all sold out even the old Spanish 1895s are sold out now. ☹️

Thanks man! Yea it’s alot of work but fun work! It's something I've always wanted to do. And so far I've done it all without any heavy machinery! Ie lathe, mill, etc. I cut that chamber by hand. I am soon going to invest in a lathe tho I've been wanting one for several years I'm getting into some pretty extensive projects and it's time ! Lol I will for sure send you some dummy rounds for you collection! Maybe someday it will be in a book and you will have one of the prototypes lol. I seriously doubt that it's not a marketable cartridge sadly Noone builds mausers anymore I'm still living in the past haha. Unfortunately I'm down to my last 2 mausers and I guess I'm done my mauser source has officially dried up I can't find them anywhere anymore. I was getting them thru sarco Inc but everything they had are all sold out even the old Spanish 1895s are sold out now. ☹️
There is an old school gun shop in Fargo ND. That used to have all kind of Mauser stuff. I can send you his info on a PM if you would like. No idea what he has left? The Father passed and his boy runs it now, and as is typical, he much prefers building “modern” stuff vs Mausers. His Dad created a couple of Wild cat cartridges. Good folks.

There is an old school gun shop in Fargo ND. That used to have all kind of Mauser stuff. I can send you his info on a PM if you would like. No idea what he has left? The Father passed and his boy runs it now, and as is typical, he much prefers building “modern” stuff vs Mausers. His Dad created a couple of Wild cat cartridges. Good folks.
Yea that would be great pm me!

Lets add Grizz to this discussion. Yup, got a big one in the hood. There is a pile of crap that would fill a 2 gallon bucket. Seen its tracks in the mud. Didnt see any cub tracks.

Lets add Grizz to this discussion. Yup, got a big one in the hood. There is a pile of crap that would fill a 2 gallon bucket. Seen its tracks in the mud. Didnt see any cub tracks.
Ok that is cool, kind of! We have a lot of Bear here but they are all Black Bear. Smaller and skittish, not even the same house as Grizz! But man o man are they fast, you get up close and personal and it is like they defy physics, you just don’t see how something that big can be that fast. Best movie ever by the way! Jeremiah Johnson!

I had a black bear walk up on me three different times about 10 mins apart last year. He was a curious feller. I almost shot him (season was in) but decided to let him go! This year he won't be as lucky! Lol the last time he came within 5 yards of me I literally could have poked him with my muzzleloader. Dad has had a pretty good size one on his property the last 2 years. We are gonna try to get him early season this year. We have a 3 day early season in the end of September.

Screenshot_20240827_152911_Messenger.jpg

Had to build some more portable walls for shoot house room clearing junk. Kind of a pain but being able to build all kind of room clearing scenarios keeps it fresh for students. Ya can’t always do corner fed, sometimes ya gotta throw in a center fed! And remember gentle readers the two imperial truths. (I am sure there are more!)Hah!

Brass on outside before brass on inside
And… First man is always right!

IMG_2240.jpeg

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2237.jpeg

IMG_2235.jpeg

IMG_2238.jpeg

IMG_2222.jpeg

IMG_2225.jpeg

IMG_2221.jpeg

Hoping to get this framed in today before the sun and humidity get out of hand. New shooting shack-there was a vein of clay in the field I poked at with the tractor and it had 9” of water in it after a recent rain so I guess I have a water source for the critters now. Have a cool down starting tomorrow-welcome relief. And, yes, my so is picking his nose! LOL

IMG_4026.jpeg

IMG_4027.jpeg

IMG_4019.jpeg

Hoping to get this framed in today before the sun and humidity get out of hand. New shooting shack-there was a vein of clay in the field I poked at with the tractor and it had 9” of water in it after a recent rain so I guess I have a water source for the critters now. Have a cool down starting tomorrow-welcome relief. And, yes, my so is picking his nose! LOL

View attachment 1716297007

View attachment 1716297008

View attachment 1716297009
Forgive my geographical linguistic ignorance but is a shooting shack where you shoot deer from? Or is it for recreational shooting? Either way looks good!

Hunting shack. Deer or turkey. It’s set up 30 yards from the new water hole, so more for crossbow hunting. Food plot around it coming soon.

Forgive my geographical linguistic ignorance but is a shooting shack where you shoot deer from? Or is it for recreational shooting? Either way looks good!

I haven’t hunted for many many years but Pa used to have very strict laws on hunting out of blinds or structures, except I guess for ducks or geese. The way they change rules now you can probably hunt or of an apartment building.

I haven’t hunted for many many years but Pa used to have very strict laws on hunting out of blinds or structures, except I guess for ducks or geese. The way they change rules now you can probably hunt or of an apartment building.
Different rules for State land Federal land and private land around here. Easy to get a tit in the ringer.

Hunting shack. Deer or turkey. It’s set up 30 yards from the new water hole, so more for crossbow hunting. Food plot around it coming soon.
Thanks! If I tried that I am guessing I would be curled up and sound asleep while the deer fed all around me! That looks like a very comfortable way to hunt. Got room for a tourist? Hah!

Oh, that’s happened before. It can get cold but I have a Buddy heater too. This one is 6’x8’-enough room for me and the two kids. They’ll be doing most of the hunting this year. Always room for a tourist. My other shack is an 8’x12’ storage shed 10’ in the air on 6”x6”s. Way too big but it was already here when I bought the house. We used to have euchre parties in the big one. Think we had 17 people in it one night!!

Need to figure out windows and build a door yet so I can finish out the walls. Then sheet it and add a metal roof.

My local Rural King where I ordered my last 6-7 guns is usually pretty budget minded. They will throw a costlier gun in once in awhile but they went top shelf today.

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4292.jpeg

IMG_4291.jpeg

IMG_4290.jpeg

-
Back