Headers

-
If you run a cam with a lot of overlap( like 55 to 75 degrees) to make some decent top-end power; the log manifolds will cost you most of that Fifth Cycle. So then you may still get the sound of the big cam out the tailpipes, but the power ain't there.
But if your overlap is less than 30/35 then a header won't contribute that much to horsepower. But you'll still get a good increase in torque.
Between 35 and 55, it's all compromise, with headers always doing better.
Making 'em fit is just hotrodding, it is IMHO, what makes us HotRodders.

If you got a pan like this, (I do) you better either make a skidplate for it, or don't drive like I do; I crashed that thing into a few things and after brazing up the cracks a FEW times, l finally had to take it off to fix it properly. PITA.My skidplate only took a few hours to make.
There is NO WAY I would install under-the-draglink headers. And
there is also NO WAY I would install log manifolds.
That only leaves one choice; above the steering and thru the bottle-neck.

Check out this K, I wonder what caused all those scratches, and dimples? Mine looks worse,lol.

dscn0098-jpg.jpg

If you run a cam with a lot of overlap( like 55 to 75 degrees) to make some decent top-end power; the log manifolds will cost you most of that Fifth Cycle. So then you may still get the sound of the big cam out the tailpipes, but the power ain't there.
But if your overlap is less than 30/35 then a header won't contribute that much to horsepower. But you'll still get a good increase in torque.

If you got a pan like this, (I do) you better either make a skidplate for it, or don't drive like I do; I crashed that thing into a few things and after brazing up the cracks a FEW times, l finally had to take it off to fix it properly. PITA.My skidplate only took a few hours to make.

Check out this K, I wonder what caused all those scratches, and dimples? Mine looks worse,lol.

View attachment 1715407960
look like floor jack marks to me

I saw those also . Same configuration as The CR. let us know how they fit and what you think of them and pictures.
Will do. It’s going to be awhile before I’m ready for them though. Thank you for posting about them.

I was kinda hoping you would go out and throw them on. I've been waiting here for ya.
Man I wish I was that far along lol. Trying to gather parts to get this thing moving along finally!

I don't like the idea of beating in an $800 pair of headers. For that money they should fit without problems. I've read probably 100 threads on here about brands and fitment. Some people say TTI or Dougs are the best and others say they don't work, others say cheap work and other people say cheap don't work. I understand every car is different but most of us are running same equipment , either manual or power steering , large or small starter ,V8 K frame or /6 with mod. 318, 340, 360 engines.
My build is a72 340 stock heads , manual steering with Borgeson knuckle mini starter /6 k with V8 mount adapters. Now if anyone has the same thing as me and has headers they installed with no problems I'd like to hear about it.
Here is what I found with the hooker 2 inch supercomps I installed. They were made and fitted with 73 and newer center link. I figured that out after I lowered the tube on the drivers side.

View attachment 1715407960
Since you posted my picture I though I would comment. This is the same K member on all these pictures. his k member was rusted bad so I installed the k member on the gold Demon from my Orange Duster . The K member came from this car. and still have to tell you there are no scatches just one dent. That is even the pan off of my orange duster. What you see is road dirt, coolant, and paint marks from the k-member cradle. They are probably the only things that didn't get destroyed.

You see the concrete slab on the ground. There were two and they both had big blue US mail boxes mounted to them. They were sitting about where my truck is parked. Don't use my pictures to make a story. That gold Demon was just here yesterday. And it still only has one dent in the K-member from the accident.

I insall a lot of headers on a lot of cars. I have not found any that didn't have some type of fitment problem. Stainless is my choice due to the fact that there is no coating to rub off. It only take one spot and eventually it will rust through. Both these cars above had steel mounts. Motors were where they belonged

20170520_203808.jpg

20170520_203824.jpg

14.jpg

DSCN2776.JPG

DSCN0033.JPG

If you open up the link for the headers it shows the application chart. It shows a- bodies
This looks like stainless steel but they look Chrome in the pictures. I'd be very curious to see just how they look.

Anybody use these . Add says for 70 Duster 318, 340 360. Will fit other year small block abodies.$196 shippedView attachment 1715407005
I've installed a lot of headers designed just like these (cyclones, hedmans, etc). They mostly fit decent - maybe a ding or two. Once on they work. However, I put Doug's on my last Duster, and not one ding needed. No steering components go through them, they are off the ground more than the cheapies, they are better quality/better made, allow access to #5 & 7 plugs, more room around the starter, well worth the 450 I paid.

I've installed a lot of headers designed just like these (cyclones, hedmans, etc). They mostly fit decent - maybe a ding or two. Once on they work. However, I put Doug's on my last Duster, and not one ding needed. No steering components go through them, they are off the ground more than the cheapies, they are better quality/better made, allow access to #5 & 7 plugs, more room around the starter, well worth the 450 I paid.
And double the value of your car....:poke:

And double the value of your car....:poke:
What's funny is I was done with headers. I was just going to work with the manifolds. I used 2.5" TTI head pipes with the manifolds. But these Dougs were such a pleasure that I bet my other Duster gets them too. Remember, I have manual steering and 904's in both Dusters with Dakota starters.

What's funny is I was done with headers. I was just going to work with the manifolds. I used 2.5" TTI head pipes with the manifolds. But these Dougs were such a pleasure that I bet my other Duster gets them too. Remember, I have manual steering and 904's in both Dusters with Dakota starters.
Yes I remember you saying you're going to buy a second set for your other duster and all I could think was he's going to have more and Doug's headers than I have in aluminum heads...
But really your point is a little too late as he's already pulled the trigger on these which is kind of making what you're saying look like na-na I have Doug's headers...
For $179 I'm extremely curious to see how well these look. If their actual stainless steel? If they have a brushed looking finish? Basically how the overall quality is...
Hmnn, two sets of Doug's headers or a set of aluminum heads and stainless steel headers...??....:rolleyes:...:D....

Yes I remember you saying you're going to buy a second set for your other duster and all I could think was he's going to have more and Doug's headers than I have in aluminum heads...
But really your point is a little too late as he's already pulled the trigger on these which is kind of making what you're saying look like na-na I have Doug's headers...
For $179 I'm extremely curious to see how well these look. If their actual stainless steel? If they have a brushed looking finish? Basically how the overall quality is...
Hmnn, two sets of Doug's headers or a set of aluminum heads and stainless steel headers...??....:rolleyes:...:D....
didn't realize he bought already. Oh well, like I stated, they'll work. Maybe somebody else will read it all and can make their own decision. The rest of you post is just garbage

-
Back