Headers

-
I don't think it's all about you I think it's all about the headers? You in post one posted some headers and asked if anybody knew about them? Then I don't know what post it was but Dart 74 ordered some actually! Now I would be very interested myself and seeing what those headers look like that you asked about...
Beyond that Rusty Rat Rod doesn't have anything that has these headers and as 318 will never win said he's got Doug's headers...
Am I missing anything...
I don't know what your missing

I don't know what your missing

He's clearly missing brains. I've used several sets of headers bent JUST like the ones you're interested in. I have FIRST hand experience with them. They were bent THE SAME. No, they might not be the same brand, but I've used some very similar. They work. Good luck. Keep us posted. Just remember the two things I recommended. Stock height front tires and the front end at stock ride height and you'll have no trouble.

I won't put Rusty down to make myself look better I'll just say that I have (that style cheap Summit) on my car and I've had them on and off a half a dozen times and they're the only style I've ever been able to afford...

I won't put Rusty down to make myself look better I'll just say that I have (that style cheap Summit) on my car and I've had them on and off a half a dozen times and they're the only style I've ever been able to afford...

You keep bringing up my name. Keep being prepared to get bit.

This looks like stainless steel but they look Chrome in the pictures. I'd be very curious to see just how they look.
You can tell stainless by the welds they are not coated and do not have to be.

s-l1600-jpg.jpg

I've installed a lot of headers designed just like these (cyclones, hedmans, etc). They mostly fit decent - maybe a ding or two. Once on they work. However, I put Doug's on my last Duster, and not one ding needed. No steering components go through them, they are off the ground more than the cheapies, they are better quality/better made, allow access to #5 & 7 plugs, more room around the starter, well worth the 450 I paid.
Dougs always made very good Headers

These are not stainless they are coated. Look at the welds "Coated" you cannot put a coating on stainless headers , Or chrome them, You can polish the welds. But these are not polished from what I can see.

I bought a dull looking stainless exhaust for my Diesel Ram. They were rust coated within a year. Come to find out they were a stainless alloy. They never rusted through to this day. but they look like ****. The only true stainless part was the tip it came with. So that said make sure when you buy stainless it is not a stainless alloy. Or a stainless coated finish. Caution some of these companies deceive you with their wording.
s-l1600.jpg

I used what I believe are the same ones (ebay). They are a pretty bad fit with power steering. I had to file the flanges flat. I had to clearance heavily around the power steering box and steering coupler. I had to clearance around the torsion bars when I upgraded to 1.03. Even my idler arm was rubbing. The passenger side is pointed down instead of straight back. There are some pictures on my thread. 1968 Dart 270 NON-build

I used what I believe are the same ones (ebay). They are a pretty bad fit with power steering. I had to file the flanges flat. I had to clearance heavily around the power steering box and steering coupler. I had to clearance around the torsion bars when I upgraded to 1.03. Even my idler arm was rubbing. The passenger side is pointed down instead of straight back. There are some pictures on my thread. 1968 Dart 270 NON-build
I think most who've ised the style are aware of fitment issues with power steering and such. My question is are they actually stainless steel? will a magnet stick to them?

They most definatly are. The flanges however, are not. One thing to keep in mind, it may be easy to dent most headers, but after the first dent, stainless work hardens. I dented the headers in the car for the torsion bars, and after a while even a 3lb sledge wouldn't make them give any more.

They most definatly are. The flanges however, are not. One thing to keep in mind, it may be easy to dent most headers, but after the first dent, stainless work hardens. I dented the headers in the car for the torsion bars, and after a while even a 3lb sledge wouldn't make them give any more.

Heat is your friend.

I know... I even looked at purchasing a oxy setup. I just couldn't justify spending 400 bucks to clearance my 200 headers. It's harder to justify a torch while living in the south. I don't have many rusty frozen bolts.

Yeah, I have a small hand held propane one. I have needed a large one maybe twice in the last 20 years.....still, like all tools, it's better to have it if you need it. I have probably 75% of the specialty tools we loaned out when I worked at O'Reilly. Some I've not used in ten years. Pullers and such. But they are there if and when I need them. i'm like you though, I've haven't been able to justify one either......yet.

I think most who've ised the style are aware of fitment issues with power steering and such. My question is are they actually stainless steel? will a magnet stick to them?

There a literally dozens and dozens of stainless steels. Most are magnetic. Just because a magnet sticks to it doesn't mean it's not stainless.

I know this may be a stretch but do you have any pictures of them off or when you first got them? On the pictures in the post I can just see the tops...

Bottom shows where I had to file around the ports to get them flat. The flanges are chrome plated steel, the rest is stainless.
They look like they're gold in my pictures! :thumbsup:... Of course I've always wanted some dougs or tti's or something like that (not that I'm anywhere near pushing the kind of horsepower that would warrant them), but I think there's a nice bang for the extra fifty bucks over Summit headers and also I've never had any problems with the ones that I have. If I got those it would just all be almost a vanity thing for the look... I like them they look cool :thumbsup:

I think they do but stainless would be the ultimate. I just don't care for the coated headers . Never had luck with the coating not chipping off and then you have rust anyway.
So realistically My build plan is 400HP street , would TTI or Dougs be over kill or is it " to each his own ". I don't mind putting out the money if its called for but at my HP would it be like a status thing.

So realistically My build plan is 400HP street , would TTI or Dougs be over kill or is it " to each his own ". I don't mind putting out the money if its called for but at my HP would it be like a status thing.
I don't think the thing with Doug's or TTI's is anything to do with horsepower. It's about fitment and quality. So over kill? Not if your budget allows for them.

Exactly opposite of everything he said...
My Doug headers are 1 5/8 tube size, and collectors end approx. in the same place as hedmans or any other header I've installed. Please tell me why everything I said is opposite?? Wait - on the other hand don't bother.... LOL

My Doug headers are 1 5/8 tube size, and collectors end approx. in the same place as hedmans or any other header I've installed. Please tell me why everything I said is opposite?? Wait - on the other hand don't bother.... LOL
Crap I got so used to disagreeing with you I got out of control...
Wait a minute if they're exactly the same tell me why you spend so much on them to get the same? Wait a minute don't answer that...lol...

Crap I got so used to disagreeing with you I got out of control...
Wait a minute if they're exactly the same tell me why you spend so much on them to get the same? Wait a minute don't answer that...lol...
Post 96 - fitment and quality. I can tell you from personal experience of installing all sorts of cheapies, and then the Dougs. Here are the benefits of Dougs:
  • MUCH better fitment on driver's side
  • MUCH easier access on the #5 & 7 spark plugs
  • MUCH easier to route #5 & #7 plug wires.
  • More room to remove starter (I changed my starter on my car from start to finish in 20 minutes and didn't even have to loosen the header).
  • A lot more ground clearance as headers are above the centerlink
  • Thicker flanges for sure, meaning longer life and better header gasket sealing (not sure on the tube thickness)

Last edited:
-
Back