Help to quit smoking

-

goldfish65

Reaction score
Not sure why this idea crossed my mind late last night, but, just in case it is useful to someone.... Years ago a bartender strongly recommended this book, so I gave it a try. It's called You Can Stop Smoking by Jacqueline Rogers. She was a heavy smoker herself and came up with this program that really works. And I can testify that it worked for me. It's an easy to follow approach and you never feel deprived. The book is not in print anymore but you can easily find a copy on Amazon.

I quit smoking cold turkey 2+ years ago. I had tried many times before but always fell back into it because I thought I could have just 1 .... The nicotine leaves your body in about 72-84 hours after that it is the phycological addiction.(habit).. Now its like I never smoked... my friends can smoke in my truck and it doesn't bother or tempt me... kinda wierd.

The key is to be in the right state of mind when you quit... as crazy as this sounds try getting really hammered some night to the point where smoking makes you want to puke the next day... I am actually not kidding..I know it sounds absurd but it helps...but once you have stopped for a period of time never ever smoke even a drag !

Not sure about smoking, but if it's like chewing tobacco , if you quit , and can make it past three days it is just will power from then on. I have quit that several times. After I quit for some time , I could bum a chew from a friend, sometimes several times a day and not pick up the habit again.
BUT if I ever bought myself a can it was all over. Just my experience, not necessarily everyone's.
Yote

I quit Oct. 14 2016. I started when I was 10 and had smoked for 41 years. I was smoking 2 packs a day for the last few years.
I must admit that I have cheated a few times but I`m tryin.
Just got to keep a picture of my grandson in my cig pocket.
Good luck to all who are tryin

what really helped me quit smoking was changing my environment
i quit several times before, but as soon as i dropped back with my friends who smoked it wouldnt take long before i started smoking again

once i moved out into a new city and started hanging out with people who smoked it became a lot easier

Smoked for 25 years. Quit April 10th 2010. I made a deal with my self. I got to spend 50 bucks a week on what ever I wanted. I would have spent that on smokes for the week. That 50 bucks really helped in the beginning. Now I can't stand the smell. I don't say anything to my friends that still smoke but God does it stink. Piece of advise, quit smoking until you are successful. You will feel a lot better. I guarantee it.

Started at 11 got parental permission at 13. Was up to 2 packs a day by 30, leveled off to 50. Went to Vape 2 years ago. Started at 25mg of nicotine down to 3mg inside a year. Still like the Vape though, but believe I could put down at any time. Old habits can be hard to drop, beer makes it harder!

Still finding empty packs around and wonder why I left them there?

It took double pneumonia in January 5th area, 20 days in a hospital for me to finally quit. I drove to the hunting camp on Jan1 2014, woke up the next day not feeling good, decided to hang out at camp to get over the bug. Wrong I got worse and worse, by the 5th or 6th I was really bad off, by the 10th son in law drove to the camp and wouldn't take no for an answer and took me to Warner Robins hospital in Ga. I'm pretty sure he save my life! Thank God he was pro active. Been over 3 years now and haven't had not one! Thou I do use a vape with 0 nicotine.
But I still want a cigarette every now and then, damn urge just won't go away.

Started smoking at 13. Was up to 2 packs a day at 40..then the Heart Attack happened. It's been 28 years now without a smoke.

i just did the math on that...wow

i never felt the "saving money aspect" of it was any motivation
it seemed to me that any money left over will get spend somewhere else and disappear just as quick

i just did the math on that...wow

i never felt the "saving money aspect" of it was any motivation
it seemed to me that any money left over will get spend somewhere else and disappear just as quick
Quit cold turkey 14 years ago. I was rolling my own Bali Shag and developed a persistent cough. I was enjoying cigarettes more than ever. I didn't have the money for someone to help me quit so I did it for free.

Just google emphysema and you'll see it's not a good way to die.

I got to where I was chewing and smoking at the same time. I would lay in bed and my heart would damn near beat out of my chest. If I didn't stop I might not see my boys graduate from high school. Ithe is all in your head and you have to want to quit. Write this on a few cards and tape them up where you like to light up. "THE URGE TO HAVE A CIGARETTE WILL GO AWAY WHETHER YOU HAVE ONE OR NOT" if you can't quit for yourself at least quit for your family.

I got to where I was chewing and smoking at the same time. I would lay in bed and my heart would damn near beat out of my chest. If I didn't stop I might not see my boys graduate from high school. Ithe is all in your head and you have to want to quit. Write this on a few cards and tape them up where you like to light up. "THE URGE TO HAVE A CIGARETTE WILL GO AWAY WHETHER YOU HAVE ONE OR NOT" if you can't quit for yourself at least quit for your family.
Your right about the urge, I just wish the urge would go away for good! I can still smell one someone else lights up and think,Damn that smells good! I guess after smoking 38 years it is going to take a while.

Your right about the urge, I just wish the urge would go away for good! I can still smell one someone else lights up and think,Damn that smells good! I guess after smoking 38 years it is going to take a while.
Takes longer for some than others. I can't stand the smell any more. The neighbor took her poodle with her when she went to the porch for a smoke the other night. When the dog came back inside and hopped on my lap I just about gagged. The poor pooch smelled like a friggin' ash tray.

Wow it is good to get all these real-life success stories. I wasn't sure I should even start this thread. A couple other things I remembered that helped me besides that book was to take deep breaths whenever the craving hit (and that might be every minute!) Also I bought a bag of dum-dum lollipops and used the sticks to take the place of a cigarette...a buddy of mine did that too and it helps.

And stay away from the Nicorette gum. The husband of the neighbor gal I was talking about earlier quit smoking 4 or 5 years ago. I bet he pops a new piece of gum in every half hour or so. He hasn't quit really he just substitutes nicotine.

Had a life long hunting buddy of mine quit smoking and he used mint toothpicks to replace cigarettes. It worked for him.

And stay away from the Nicorette gum. The husband of the neighbor gal I was talking about earlier quit smoking 4 or 5 years ago. I bet he pops a new piece of gum in every half hour or so. He hasn't quit really he just substitutes nicotine.
My ex-wife who trains running with my now wife ( another story) did the same thing, quit smoking and chewed the gum non stop for over 5 years. She just quit the gum. And that stuff ain't cheap!

Smoking is never a success story. It's all about the luck you may have when you do it.

over $100 for a carton.. :realcrazy: - I decided they were too expensive when they hit $1.25 a pack. I never bothered counting the days/weeks/months or years after I quit - because I don't look back and it doesn't matter. Look forward and stop thinking about them.

FYI - sooner or later - you WILL quit.
Every smoker I ever knew who died from cancer had one thing in common - they died younger than they should have.

Honey every morning and evening has been keeping me away from them, every time I go to my friends shop (where Victoria is) I drink a cold one and fire up, then I go home to my honey and don't smoke anymore :rofl:

I think a lot of it is an idle mind and regiment. Why does one smoke more on a road trip? Just put your mind to it and quit. Stop buying them and don't bum them. After a month or two you will be in cruise mode. It's a discipline though. Like a diet, it takes commitment. Cold Turkey works with discipline.

Not sure about smoking, but if it's like chewing tobacco , if you quit , and can make it past three days it is just will power from then on. I have quit that several times. After I quit for some time , I could bum a chew from a friend, sometimes several times a day and not pick up the habit again.
BUT if I ever bought myself a can it was all over. Just my experience, not necessarily everyone's.
Yote
yep, same here

FYI - sooner or later - you WILL quit.
Every smoker I ever knew who died from cancer had one thing in common - they died younger than they should have.
for sure.....my Mom was 66 and had a stroke and cause of death was COPD

-
Back