Hey 545rfe trans guys....

-
I'm kinda leary of this design. Two bolts holding the trans mount to the car and only one bolt holding the trans to the mount.

The metal work looks great, but I'd like to see more attachment points.

Are you leaving this a solid mount? I've been searching for a poly mount that will work for the 545. I know tincup went with McMaster Carr poly bushings and made them work but I'm hoping to find something more along the lines of a trans mount that will work.

Riddler

I'm hoping to find something more along the lines of a trans mount that will work.
Riddler

One of the websites related to this swap suggested a GM trans mount that was only an inch tall.

Yeah the prothane 7-1604.

ptp-7-1604_w.jpg

I'm thinking of buying this to use but it'll require a bracket to mount to the trans I think. What's the spacing between the studs/holes on the 545?

Riddler

Here's mine, two urethane mounts that screw into the trans. Keep it simple...

Attachments

• 100_1807.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 560
Well For some reason I cannot upload the picture of the trans mount Insulator but if you go to any part store and ask for part number 2659 you can get one. Google will show a picture of it. You only have to ream out a bolt hole slightly.

As for the mount I am still going to weld the back piece which will box it in on the bottom. Two Grade 8 bolts should hold it in place, but I am considering adding another hole as a security measure. With the weight of the trans even if the nuts came off those bolts would not move, But I am not going to take that chance, trust me.

With the weather the way it has been I finally finished it and wanted to show you guys what I had so far.

It is a solid piece and I am sure it will hold with no issue even the way it sits.

I like what Tincup did for his mount, but I did not have the room to weld something like that underneath. My exhaust would have hit for sure. As is it misses the pass side by...Well lets say the mount will not have to many coats of paint. Lol

Well For some reason I cannot upload the picture of the trans mount Insulator but if you go to any part store and ask for part number 2659 you can get one. Google will show a picture of it. You only have to ream out a bolt hole slightly.

As for the mount I am still going to weld the back piece which will box it in on the bottom. Two Grade 8 bolts should hold it in place, but I am considering adding another hole as a security measure. With the weight of the trans even if the nuts came off those bolts would not move, But I am not going to take that chance, trust me.

With the weather the way it has been I finally finished it and wanted to show you guys what I had so far.

It is a solid piece and I am sure it will hold with no issue even the way it sits.

Perhaps you could add a plate on the backside so it would also be on the otherside of the crossmember, ( sandwich the crossmember, like the original ) I think that would add a lot of strength. JMO.

P.S. Did you get that bushing out yet?

Granger is this what you used?

wsem2659_updated.jpg

I still think the prothane mount would work if you bolted the slotted ends to the trans and made a cross member like tincups.

Anyone know the bolt spacing on the 545 trans where the trans mount is? I'd like to compair that to the prothane trans mount.

Riddler

I finally got that stinkin' bushing out, thanks T-grainger, I would have been there all week with pullers, they don't work. There is a bevel on the back side that prevents any type of puller from grabbing. Die grinder and carbide, went through it like butter.....:cheers:

Attachments

• 000_0027.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 608
Riddler, that is exactly what I used and the bolt pattern is only slightly off. You need to ream the holes slightly on the inside of both holes. I would have made one like Tincup, but as I said I just did not have the room in my duster to clear the exhaust with his set-up.

Tincup, I did make two pieces to do exactly like the factory mount is. I still have to weld the pieces together.

And as for the bushing it is still there I was focusing on the trans mount so I have to drop the trans out again and finish it.

Tincup Maybe I should finish mine like you did. Did you use a dremmel or just a drill for that?

Is there any influx or people with new pictures/options? I figure in 4 years there have probably been a few more people that have pulled this off and may have some info to share and help out the prospective 5.7/545rfe swappers.

I think most are still using this method. It's tried and true. I however stepper over the T56 manual but it's pretty much the same size as the 545rfe.

My only concern has been carpet but I'm sure I'll be fine once I buy one and lay it in.

Riddler

Does anyone have any picture of the underside of their cars actually on the ground to kind of show ground clearance of the pan with the mount design most of you have been doing? Anyone having any issues with clearance once everything was done and back together?

I finally got that stinkin' bushing out, thanks T-grainger, I would have been there all week with pullers, they don't work. There is a bevel on the back side that prevents any type of puller from grabbing. Die grinder and carbide, went through it like butter.....:cheers:

I assume you are talking about the bushing in the bck of the crank??
WE tac welded a piece of pipe to the bushing and used a slide hammer. Piece of cake getting it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0454.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0444.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 243
I assume you are talking about the bushing in the bck of the crank??
WE tac welded a piece of pipe to the bushing and used a slide hammer. Piece of cake getting it out.

Have you installed the engine yet? If not double check the thrust bearing. I used a slide hammer on mines and the thrust bearing was ruined after 6000 miles. I was thinking it was because of this.

to get that bearing out, back the cavity with grease, and then keep pushing grease in. it will be pushed out...and the chevy 400 700r trans mount bolted right on my 545rfe...

I welded a large but to the bearing/sleeve. Then just threaded a bolt in and when it hit bottom it pulled the sleeve right out. No fuss, no mess.

Riddler

-
Back