Idle drop by 500 rpm?

-
There is a good possibility that the balancer has slipped on the rubber isolation ring and is no longer giving you an accurate timing indication, pretty common with older stock balancers. It would be a good practice to verify that the timming marks are correct.
First follow the trouble shooting guideline's that members like @RustyRatRod have recommended
I was headin there eventually, but everybody's gotta sidetrack the guy. I said vacuum leak WAY back when he said it popped and told him to really inspect, then somebody told him something else and he went off on that rabbit hole. Now understand, I'm not tryin to say my way is the only way, but I was trying to eliminate one system at a time with him and it's impossible when people keep sidetracking, so I just backed out. ......and yeah. My blood pressure. I sure hope he gets it.

I know you are not trying to obtain an idle speed of 450 rpm, but apparently the OP is go back and look ar his post #39.
I think 850 or so would be great. He can find the problem and get there if he isolates one system at a time and eliminates each individual thing in that system. It's called a diagnostic flow chart and I am very familiar with them working in dealerships for years. Jumping to other systems while trying to diagnose one and you may never find the problem. Following a flow chart seems slow, but it's dead accurate and he will find the issue. Well......he would have.

I was headin there eventually, but everybody's gotta sidetrack the guy. I said vacuum leak WAY back when he said it popped and told him to really inspect, then somebody told him something else and he went off on that rabbit hole. Now understand, I'm not tryin to say my way is the only way, but I was trying to eliminate one system at a time with him and it's impossible when people keep sidetracking, so I just backed out. ......and yeah. My blood pressure. I sure hope he gets it.
I'm just gonna replace all the vacuum caps and isolate the brake master...

Easy big Boy, easy.
The OP is never going to get the engine to idle at 450 rpm in drive regardless of what you or anyone else recommends.
Keep up the good work and remember your blood pressure.
Stay Kool
Jim K
Robs Blood Pressure is More important than any damn car to me. And YES, I have had that mill idled that low. Not my goal, it was an accident..

-
Back