In/out play in coupler

-

Boduke

Reaction score
72 manual steering. Stock box. Any ideas before i rip the column out? Is this just normal wear or is the coupler body prob shot as well?
Prob 3/4- 1 inch of play in and out at the wheel. I have a vid but cant figure how to post it.
Thanks

I could pull my wheel out an inch on my 65. the column shell was loose under the dash it was just a 2 bolt strap and a solid steering shaft.

Sound like a collapse in the steering shaft! Just guessing.

So when i pull it in/out at the wheel. I can see it moving in/out on the firewall side of the coupler.

I could pull my wheel out an inch on my 65. the column shell was loose under the dash it was just a 2 bolt strap and a solid steering shaft.

Mine is column shift and held on by three bolts. Its def just the column inside the shell moving in/out.

Any ideas? Bad bearing in the shell? Seems to rotate fine other than the fore/aft play. I have new coupler coming. But now im thinking maybe something inside the column. Its just more annoying than anything else.

Found this pic on this site someplace. Locking collar on the shaft itself?? For someone who has had these columns out? When detached from the box does the shaft move in/out inside the tube?

EC829D04-A7A2-47CA-9540-E2013799A675.jpeg

OK.. sorry to be so needy. Just found this photo with a weird dowel pin that doesn't appear to be present on mine? 72 manual column shift. Whats the deal with the dowel pin? Seems like might hold the column in the coupler and prevent in/out movement.

80FA2754-81CF-4675-93E4-57BCC9759F9B.png

They have clips now for that. The collapsible steering was on a splined shaft that was held by a plastic pin iirc, it would sheer in an accident and would telescope into the other nested part as well as the expanded metal column crushing. maybe your pin is broken?

They have clips now for that. The collapsible steering was on a splined shaft that was held by a plastic pin iirc, it would sheer in an accident and would telescope into the other nested part as well as the expanded metal column crushing. maybe your pin is broken?
are you referring to the injection moulded collapse pins inside the tube? If those were broke would not the entire back half of the column pull out? I was referring to the dowel pin in the diagram on the back side of the coupler? Sorry if im talking stupid this is new to me. Im prob honna have to just pull the whole deal and engineer it from scratch rather than just fix one thing

??Purpose of the pin?? Makes DAMN sure the coupler does not come off the steering box!!

I'm confused. Is the OP worried about up/ down shaft play up at the wheel? I believe anything that retains such is up there in the column head, not down at the coupler

The coupler is DESIGNED for some in/ out movement to handle slight changes in the body/ frame.

I always thought that small pin was to make sure the coupler stays with the shaft and prevent the shaft (w/ shoe pin) from popping off the seal and cover.

Lost!!!! Lot going in here. My issue is in-out play at the wheel about 3/4-1" of travel and i can see the shaft moving in-out inside the coupler the same amount. So the shaft appears to be in one piece inside the the tube so prob not the collapse pins.

There's a bearing and snap ring at the top under the steering wheel that should prevent that. Have you popped the steering wheel off?

There's a bearing and snap ring at the top under the steering wheel that should prevent that. Have you popped the steering wheel off?

Have had the wheel off recently trying to clock my alignment unsuccessfully, but didnt notice that bearing or snap ring ill go take a look now.

So snap ring moves as well might only be about 1/2 nch of play actually now that i see it in the column

53D4CBAE-8146-42BB-996D-DA4CCA4681A1.jpeg

I have a killer video. Can somone post it for me?

Oh man i think i might have figured it. So if the panel at the firewall and the column sleeve are adjusted towards eachother. Im thinking that would cause slop in the steering shaft. Correct me if im wrong

05B688C6-0903-4D1F-9D99-1CCBD5B795A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure what your issue is. The coupler has a certain amount of in and out movement. This is normal. When the three nuts that hold the column are tight at the dash,the column shouldn’t move in or out at the steering wheel.

I think i have it figured ill post back after i adjust the tube and try to maybe take up the slack. Thanks for everyones help on this

Last edited:
The coupler is supposed to have room to move up and down the inner steering shaft. If you're having that much movement by pulling/pushing the steering wheel and center shaft, and the column isn't moving, you have a problem in the bowl/bearing area. If the column is moving with the wheel and center shaft, check the mounting bolts under the dash.

If the column is moving with the wheel and center shaft, check the mounting bolts under the dash.
I suspect this is the issue . I suspect the tube can move fore/aft on those bolts so if i slide it towards the rear of the car it should eat up some slack. But its ten degrees in my garage. Ill report back after i give it hell tomorrow.

My shaft did not move within my column as the snap rings and upper bearing would retain them. I could spin the wheel when it is disconnected and the bearing would support the entire shaft. It was the column strap that was loose. The dust seal doesn't retain the shoes in the coupler but prevents them from falling out as its just a crimp on rubber boot. The pin would retain the shoes but what holds the pin in? The big heavy wire bale is a better option. The Borgson type joint must rely on the splines to give it a little play for body flex

My shaft did not move within my column as the snap rings and upper bearing would retain them. I could spin the wheel when it is disconnected and the bearing would support the entire shaft. It was the column strap that was loose. The dust seal doesn't retain the shoes in the coupler but prevents them from falling out as its just a crimp on rubber boot. The pin would retain the shoes but what holds the pin in? The big heavy wire bale is a better option. The Borgson type joint must rely on the splines to give it a little play for body flex
It's a small roll pin in the coupler. Just an interference fit.

-
Back