Indy 360-1 vs Edelbrock RPM heads

-

Jax

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to make a decision on which heads to use.
It seems that performance wise based on the online chart numbers I found, both heads if fully CNC ported they are pretty much capable of the same flow @ .700" lift?

Indy 360-1
1689367093292.png

Edelbrocks RPM

1689367155342.png

What is the advantage of main differences between both?

I would choose the heads that flow the best based on my camshaft lift/duration. 65'

Being a W2 user, I cant comment on the use of either head.

I would urge you to consider what parts you currently have in your stash, and use that as a deciding factor. In my case having a variety of W2 oval port stuff, like intakes, rockers, headers, etc, the Indy would be the choice for me as I have the supporting items. If you have a collection of LA intakes, headers, rockers, etc then perhaps the Eddy heads are way to go, although at those numbers I suspect they are using offset rockers and such also.

Seems to me when considering Indy, or BigMouth Eddy, we are thinking max effort deal. In truth, I could be totally wrong here, Edelbrock doesn't come to mind when I think max effort, Indy surely does.

Be honest with intentions
I run Indy with a stroker street motor but I got a good deal on them
With new ownership is Indy still making the 360-1 heads?

I also think the eddy would be at their limits but I could be wrong

The Indy 360-1 is in a different universe than the RPM. Capable of a 100hp over the RPM.

Instead of spending money on cnc prep, I would have them ported by a reputable porter to match your combination.

The Hughes BM heads have a not so great rep and have been said to have a poor coefficient discharge. @RAMM has tested his Hughes heads (not big mouths IIRC.) and didn’t come up with their flow numbers by a more than notable margin. With that said…..

The Indy head has 2 versions. The -1 & -2. If you’re looking, use the rectangle port version and don’t look back. Also use there way superior intake for the heads.

PM @replicaracer43 so he can tell you about his Indy heads and more on why there a better choice.

I’ll quote D. Freiburger and S. Dulcich and firmly agree with these two guys when they said
(half jokingly but I’ll tell you that 100% there dead bulls eye on in saying,)
“Get the best cylinder head you can!”
(& afford), since it’ll make more power every time.

Trust me, get the Indy, spend the money, make more power.

I have hand ported 360-1 heads and hand ported Edelbrock heads. I’ve gone 5.98 at 422 cubic inches and a .660 solid lifter cam with the 360-1 heads

I gone 5.98 at 408 cubic inches with my Edelbrock heads with a .660 roller cam.

Both heads have room to grow and Lord willing will be doing so. If I had to pick one over the other it would be the 360-1 heads but they come at a way higher price.

The Hughes BM heads have a not so great rep and have been said to have a poor coefficient discharge. @RAMM has tested his Hughes heads (not big mouths IIRC.) and didn’t come up with their flow numbers by a more than notable margin. With that said…..

The Indy head has 2 versions. The -1 & -2. If you’re looking, use the rectangle port version and don’t look back. Also use there way superior intake for the heads.

PM @replicaracer43 so he can tell you about his Indy heads and more on why there a better choice.

I’ll quote D. Freiburger and S. Dulcich and firmly agree with these two guys when they said

Yes they were the BM's. J.Rob

Being a W2 user, I cant comment on the use of either head.

I would urge you to consider what parts you currently have in your stash, and use that as a deciding factor. In my case having a variety of W2 oval port stuff, like intakes, rockers, headers, etc, the Indy would be the choice for me as I have the supporting items. If you have a collection of LA intakes, headers, rockers, etc then perhaps the Eddy heads are way to go, although at those numbers I suspect they are using offset rockers and such also.

Seems to me when considering Indy, or BigMouth Eddy, we are thinking max effort deal. In truth, I could be totally wrong here, Edelbrock doesn't come to mind when I think max effort, Indy surely does.
Thanks for the feedback. Indeed one of the factors I am considering is if I could reuse my current Hughes rocker arms, Edelbrock Super victor intake and the 1 7/8 headers. I know for the Indy heads they won't fit.... but that will be the second part of my decision making...

Be honest with intentions
I run Indy with a stroker street motor but I got a good deal on them
With new ownership is Indy still making the 360-1 heads?

I also think the eddy would be at their limits but I could be wrong
I saw them on Hughes pages... haven't contact Indy directly as yet

Thanks for the information Rumblefish, This is the kind of info I am looking for.

We don't mind spending the extra bucks on the Indy's, as long we can build a reliable solid and 550hp to 600hp engine, that can handle plenty of 1/4 mile passes.

We learned our lesson using the former Procomp heads...

I have hand ported 360-1 heads and hand ported Edelbrock heads. I’ve gone 5.98 at 422 cubic inches and a .660 solid lifter cam with the 360-1 heads

I gone 5.98 at 408 cubic inches with my Edelbrock heads with a .660 roller cam.

Both heads have room to grow and Lord willing will be doing so. If I had to pick one over the other it would be the 360-1 heads but they come at a way higher price.
This is a good example of comparing apple to apples.... what was the estimate cost difference between both??

On the Indy 360-1, i know the intake and head internals will have to be different compare to i.e if I decide to use Edelbrocks, sinceI was running Pro comps'........
But, what about my existing headers? Are the Indy's 360-1 going to fit using my existing 1 7/8 ( LA type square ) headers?

This is a good example of comparing apple to apples.... what was the estimate cost difference between both??

On the Indy 360-1, i know the intake and head internals will have to be different compare to i.e if I decide to use Edelbrocks, sinceI was running Pro comps'........
But, what about my existing headers? Are the Indy's 360-1 going to fit using my existing 1 7/8 ( LA type square ) headers?
I'm running the same Hedman headers on my Indy 360-1's that I ran on my Edelbrocks.

My 1 7/8 headmen headers are the W2 ones. So I have a set of adaptor plates for my Edelbrock heads and a set of bigger opening ones for my 360-1 heads. Rockers are your biggest issues with the Indy heads. I sold the ones Indy sold and bought a used set of T&D rockers that will be going on.

Thanks for the information Rumblefish, This is the kind of info I am looking for.

We don't mind spending the extra bucks on the Indy's, as long we can build a reliable solid and 550hp to 600hp engine, that can handle plenty of 1/4 mile passes.

We learned our lesson using the former Procomp heads...
I just took my Big Mouth heads out of the closest to bring to Charlie Servedio’s SF-600 bench. He will have the video up later. I don’t know exactly when. He is doing a set of Magnum heads right now while I have a smoke break. Then a video for that head.
Check back at his channel for the video when he posts it up for more information and a little flowing around.
https://m.youtube.com/@servediocylinderheads
We spent the morning flow testing 600-AFB mods. We just got done with the heads.

Now I don’t like to race flow bench numbers due to various conditions and factors that can’t be controlled. It’s easy to say, if he calibrated his bench why didn’t match my bench and why is guy #3 have even a different set of numbers? I’ve had my W5’s flow tested 3 different times on the same bench model in 3 different locations by the 3 different people flowing them telling me what the flow plate size is with that being the only different factor. A 4.185 plate, a 4.03 plate and a 4.06.

What’s the point? A cylinder head will flow differently on different bore sizes. The larger the bore size, the more air the head flows. The computer should make corrections but just how flexible the program is I don’t know.

What it did show is the flow curves which all had a certain amount of spread between them about equal to their bore size. This is what you really need to know. How big the the flow plate is and what the curve looks like. The cfm amount goes up with the bigger bore and if the test was on a 4.185, how does that compare to your 4.03?

Head dependent, it can be a little, it can be a lot. On top of that, if the operator thinks his bench is doing the right thing and it’s not, let’s say 3% stingy and the other bench is 3% happy, that’s a lot between them.

The following is the flow test of the Hughes Big Mouth head.
Take it for what it’s worth and compare other benches at your own peril. This is what we got today.

IMG_0795.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed one of the factors I am considering is if I could reuse my current Hughes rocker arms, Edelbrock Super victor intake and the 1 7/8 headers. I know for the Indy heads they won't fit.... but that will be the second part of my decision making...
I think you just answered your own question.

Rob, what was the bore size for that test?

Also, not sure the OP knows this, but the BM heads require offset intake rockers.

Last edited:
Rumble is this the way they came from Hughes with any other modifications { valve job, port grinding etc. } ?
Box stock! I fit in a set of Lunati solid roller springs, outside springs only. When you see the video, what you is what you get from them.

Overall, not bad. Not great ether. I’d stick’em under a 414 (or greater) & the best intake you can get, which, IMO would be something like a good tunnel ram, not the old Edelbrock unit or an Indy intake or a well done super Victor. At the minimum, a well prepared Victor.

I’ll try several intakes for my own enjoyment. Some call it dumb, weird, but! Because I do weird stuff, you’ll know. Pittsburgracer ported a single plane M1 for me with nice results. I have a 1,000 TQ. Not a combo you ever see. So, that’s why I’ll try it. Good, bad, indifferent, home run? Failure? IDK, nor do I care. I just like trying stuff out. It was the only way to learn pre internet and I had a ton of doing it I just gotta get back into screwing around again. Best way to learn, get greasy baby!!!!
Rob, what was the bore size for that test?

Also, not sure the OP knows this, but the BM heads require offset intake rockers.
Hey PRH, at the moment, I don’t remember. I’ll post it up when I speak with Charlie next. I know I posted this before… wait… I think I did. Fudge! Now I’m not sure, I’ll check with Charlie.

-
Back