Install a Tremec T56 Magnum in your A-body

-
In the physical world we inhabit, you CAN NOT install a T56 in an A-body without cutting the floor. Unless you lower the entire drive train a couple inches, effectively turning your A-body into a 4x4. Which is a far worse solution than reshaping the tunnel, and has implications that go well beyond abysmal ground clearance.

A well thought out and fabricated tunnel is not “trashing” the floor. If the crossmember maintains or exceeds the strength of the original, the tunnel is just sheet metal. No big deal. A bit of careful fabrication will come out better then what the factory did anyway.

Obviously “purists” need not apply. But a 6 speed transmission is completely wasted on purists anyway.
Well said! I totally agree!! You are right.... comparing these to a 4x4 seemed quite comical to me!! Can someone fabricate their own? Absolutely.... but I guarantee you will have a whole lot more than $700 worth of your time involved with installing, measuring, figuring, adjusting,... then pulling it all out... and fitting and welding and adjusting.... then checking and rechecking the engine and Driveline angles!! Hey... maybe you aren’t a customer of mine....that’s cool... but I can assure you that the T56 is a much superior transmission than the TKO in every possible way. The shifting is not even comparable. To each his own!! Personally we wanted to create a kit to install the best available 6 speed into our A-body MOPARS. We have done it.
Perhaps some people’s attitudes are the reason the aftermarket doesn’t want to build anything for MOPARS.
PEACE.....

Well said! I totally agree!! You are right.... comparing these to a 4x4 seemed quite comical to me!! Can someone fabricate their own? Absolutely.... but I guarantee you will have a whole lot more than $700 worth of your time involved with installing, measuring, figuring, adjusting,... then pulling it all out... and fitting and welding and adjusting.... then checking and rechecking the engine and Driveline angles!! Hey... maybe you aren’t a customer of mine....that’s cool... but I can assure you that the T56 is a much superior transmission than the TKO in every possible way. The shifting is not even comparable. To each his own!! Personally we wanted to create a kit to install the best available 6 speed into our A-body MOPARS. We have done it.
Perhaps some people’s attitudes are the reason the aftermarket doesn’t want to build anything for MOPARS.
PEACE.....
Whatever, done it repeatedly. Look, I said you had a good product. It just wasn't for me. Is it really necessary for you to beat this to death? I was curious about a couple of things. Even knew of someone that was maybe interested in your product.... Not now. Btw, my son in laws LS1,that's 347 cubic inches that we swapped into his 92 Camaro has eaten 2 of the famous t56 6 speeds. I know other LS1 powered camaros corvettes and transams that have done the same. I've rebuilt these trannys afterward. If you use the viper tranny ,it may last. But a standard t56 won't behind high horsepower or torque. Especially ANY mopar Bigblock when hammered. I wasn't going to. Need I go on. You have a good product. But not my thing AND it has its limitations. Good luck with your sale

Last edited:
For those who choose Tremec there are kits for that.

This kit is for people who choose T56 and don't mind the cutting.

Dropping the engine/trans angle is a wonky solution. Headers fit comes into question, fan to radiator shroud clearance, resulting exhaust ground clearance, aftermarket small block distributor clearance...

That said... IMHO it's pricey for what it is.

I don't see any installation process pictures. Id still want to weld it to the tunnel and the trans cross member that's cut. Who ever puts it in is still going to be cutting and welding.

Could they cut and weld $800 more and make new crossmember (themselves without the kit)? ...Paying a fab shop for 8 hours of labor, probably not. ... at home not paying for your own labor probably so.

Edited: for clarity. Sorry about that.
I have an entire installation booklet on our Facebook page. It shows quite a bit of detail both in what is required to remove, and what is required to install this kit.
Please take a look and give some feedback. I wanted to make this a weekend installation, which, without the parts prefabbed... is not possible. Time is money.... this kit saves a bundle of time!

Whatever, done it repeatedly. Look, I said you had a good product. It just wasn't for me. Is it really necessary for you to beat this to death? I was curious about a couple of things. Even knew of someone that was maybe interested in your product.... Not now.
That’s cool.... it’s all up to the individual.
I just saw the “ridiculous” reply about putting a bigger transmission in a small tunnel without cutting. Hey, it takes some fabrication to make something like this work.... it just isn’t for you.
I know what the product I have is. I KNOW it is good. I didn’t need your approval! Thanks anyway! Hahaha

Easily done at home.

On a 4x4, yeah sure piece of cake. Tilt the transmission down, reset the pinion angle to match because the rear axle is a foot lower than the tail of the transmission anyway, all good.

On an A body? Nope. By the time you drop the tail of the transmission enough to fit a T56 under the stock floor and upper crossmember the tail of the trans is gonna be lower the yoke on the pumpkin. Not gonna fix that just by cranking the pinion angle unless you lower the pumpkin, which means turning your A-body into a 4x4.

And that doesn’t even address all the different ways the headers will interfere with the torsion bars, steering etc. Or how the oil pan will hit the steering link, or how you’ll have to put an angled adaptor on the carb to keep the bowls level.

The t56 is huge, you’re not talking about dropping the tail a half a degree. You’re talking about dropping the transmission several inches to keep it from hitting the floor.

PEACE.....

Exactly why I bought one of your crossmembers. Yeah, I can totally fabricate that crossmember myself. And maybe it would only cost me a $100 in metal and welding rod, but it would take a few days of measuring, cutting, mocking up the whole thing, dropping it out to make modifications, checking the fit again, dropping it all back out to finish weld everything and then doing the final install.

Yup, I can do it, and I have done it. But I can make $700 faster than the week it would take me to do all that, and my car will be down for a day or two instead of a week. And since I drive my car as my daily that’s important too. Not for everyone I’m sure, but I’m glad it’s an option.

Hey, I have been watching this.....
I have a 69 Dart Convertible that I am installing a 440. The car was an automatic and I wanted to make it a 4 speed. This has been a long time project, times have changed and looking at a TKO or a T56.. T56 is likely my bet move...and I don't mind modifacations to the floor (not too much I hope). Here is my thing, I want to run the original style A body console and shifter. The shifter I know I can do, the console may need some thinking...any thoughts? Have experience on this working? I want the car to look stock a possible. a 440-6 speed dart convert.

On a 4x4, yeah sure piece of cake. Tilt the transmission down, reset the pinion angle to match because the rear axle is a foot lower than the tail of the transmission anyway, all good.

On an A body? Nope. By the time you drop the tail of the transmission enough to fit a T56 under the stock floor and upper crossmember the tail of the trans is gonna be lower the yoke on the pumpkin. Not gonna fix that just by cranking the pinion angle unless you lower the pumpkin, which means turning your A-body into a 4x4.

And that doesn’t even address all the different ways the headers will interfere with the torsion bars, steering etc. Or how the oil pan will hit the steering link, or how you’ll have to put an angled adaptor on the carb to keep the bowls level.

The t56 is huge, you’re not talking about dropping the tail a half a degree. You’re talking about dropping the transmission several inches to keep it from hitting the floor.

Exactly why I bought one of your crossmembers. Yeah, I can totally fabricate that crossmember myself. And maybe it would only cost me a $100 in metal and welding rod, but it would take a few days of measuring, cutting, mocking up the whole thing, dropping it out to make modifications, checking the fit again, dropping it all back out to finish weld everything and then doing the final install.

Yup, I can do it, and I have done it. But I can make $700 faster than the week it would take me to do all that, and my car will be down for a day or two instead of a week. And since I drive my car as my daily that’s important too. Not for everyone I’m sure, but I’m glad it’s an option.
Thanks buddy! Seems some people just don’t understand!! Thanks for your business!

Hey, I have been watching this.....
I have a 69 Dart Convertible that I am installing a 440. The car was an automatic and I wanted to make it a 4 speed. This has been a long time project, times have changed and looking at a TKO or a T56.. T56 is likely my bet move...and I don't mind modifacations to the floor (not too much I hope). Here is my thing, I want to run the original style A body console and shifter. The shifter I know I can do, the console may need some thinking...any thoughts? Have experience on this working? I want the car to look stock a possible. a 440-6 speed dart convert.
I think this would be fairly easy to do. The T56 has 3 separate shifter location possibilities. Without a console we are using the rearmost location for the shifter. I think I also took a picture with my console with this setup. I will see if I can find that picture.
Thanks for the great question. I look forward to working with you in the future.
Todd

Thanks Todd.....
I thought this would also get this thread back on track :)
Speedo, clutch? can I use my stock clutch set up as I am not crazy on the hydraulic release set up. My main concern is to have the interior as stock looking as possible console and shifter and all. yes the floor will be altered, but unseen I am sure.
Much appreciated...Oh and thanks for your work creating a system that if a person wanted to go in this direction they could.

Thanks Todd.....
Speedo, clutch? can I use my stock clutch set up as I am not crazy on the hydraulic release set up. My main concern is to have the interior as stock looking as possible console and shifter and all. yes the floor will be altered, but unseen I am sure.
Much appreciated...Oh and thanks for your work creating a system that if a person wanted to go in this direction they could.
Thank you thank you!
Speedo, the transmission has the ability to spin a cable, or use a speed sensor. The hydraulic setup on the clutch is so wonderful for ease and the space required.... that is the direction we went.... it may be possible to use a mechanical type.... that would be a better question for the transmission experts at Modern Driveline or SST.
YES, the floor is raised a bit, but it is almost not noticeable.
Todd

I have an entire installation booklet on our Facebook page. It shows quite a bit of detail both in what is required to remove, and what is required to install this kit.
Please take a look and give some feedback. I wanted to make this a weekend installation, which, without the parts prefabbed... is not possible. Time is money.... this kit saves a bundle of time!

The installation guide was a lot more helpful.

Need to post some pics here from that guide and Facebook pictures.

The only pics here of an underside install are your red 1st gen Abody. But that's another prototype project not as refined looking as the subject 2nd gen kit. Sorry, but my dumb human nature associates the two picture sets as a first impression.

Whatever, done it repeatedly. Look, I said you had a good product. It just wasn't for me. Is it really necessary for you to beat this to death? I was curious about a couple of things. Even knew of someone that was maybe interested in your product.... Not now. Btw, my son in laws LS1,that's 347 cubic inches that we swapped into his 92 Camaro has eaten 2 of the famous t56 6 speeds. I know other LS1 powered camaros corvettes and transams that have done the same. I've rebuilt these trannys afterward. If you use the viper tranny ,it may last. But a standard t56 won't behind high horsepower or torque. Especially ANY mopar Bigblock when hammered. I wasn't going to. Need I go on. You have a good product. But not my thing AND it has its limitations. Good luck with your sale
Ok. I get it. I now completely understand.
This is in NO WAY is related to that T56. There is a HUGE difference. Why they kept the T56 Designation is beyond me, however, this T56 MAGNUM is a totally different beast.
This kit is for the MAGNUM. (Might work with the old T56, but that is not the intent.). The MAGNUM is much much stronger. It is based on the transmission used behind the latest VIPER, ZL1 Camaro, ZR1 vette, CTSV, GT500 Mustang, etc. The OEM carries the TR6060 designation, and the MAGNUM is the aftermarket version.
PS. Our transmission runs in the high 10’s and is wonderful on the street between days at the track.
Hopefully this clears up some of the misunderstandings.
Todd
ToddRon Restorations

The installation guide was a lot more helpful.

Need to post some pics here from that guide and Facebook pictures.

The only pics here of an underside install are your red 1st gen Abody. But that's another prototype project not as refined looking as the subject 2nd gen kit. Sorry, but my dumb human nature associates the two picture sets as a first impression.

View attachment 1715114711

View attachment 1715114712

27544AEF-7B08-403E-BDE4-5C9C4608FED2.jpeg

EDC9F428-293C-4778-838D-D4D3F4078AFC.jpeg

Do you have an exterior side view of the car with the six speed installed?

Thanks Todd.....
Mark,

Currently, nobody I've found has taken on trying to run a mechanical clutch between an RB and a T56. However, I'm about to attempt this soon. McLeod makes an adapter plate to go from a Muncie bellhousing to a T56. I just received one and am going to attempt to mount it behind my Lakewood scattershield, after modifying it to A833 bolt pattern instead.

Is it really necessary for you to beat this to death? I was curious about a couple of things. Even knew of someone that was maybe interested in your product.... Not now. Btw, my son in laws LS1,that's 347 cubic inches that we swapped into his 92 Camaro has eaten 2 of the famous t56 6 speeds. I know other LS1 powered camaros corvettes and transams that have done the same. I've rebuilt these trannys afterward. If you use the viper tranny ,it may last. But a standard t56 won't behind high horsepower or torque. Especially ANY mopar Bigblock when hammered. I wasn't going to. Need I go on. You have a good product. But not my thing AND it has its limitations. Good luck with your sale
Your post is hilarious. First off, this is his thread that you came into and attempted to bad mouth. Second off, you comparing 4X4 driveline geometry is one of the most comical things I've read in a long time. Third, comparing two cars against each other just because they have the same transmission has to be one of the most moronic comments I've ever read.

Back on topic.

Todd,

I like your design and have since you released the original version years ago. If I wasn't so damn cheap, I'd be ordering one. Good luck.

Your post is hilarious. First off, this is his thread that you came into and attempted to bad mouth. Second off, you comparing 4X4 driveline geometry is one of the most comical things I've read in a long time. Third, comparing two cars against each other just because they have the same transmission has to be one of the most moronic comments I've ever read.
Hahahaha.... what he said!! Thanks Brad. The “trash the floor” was my first indication. TJ

Back on topic.

Todd,

I like your design and have since you released the original version years ago. If I wasn't so damn cheap, I'd be ordering one. Good luck.
Thanks Brad.... it sure wouldn’t be easy to replicate this without a lift! Since I was working on a lift, I thought, “ hey... if I digitize this (autocad) I could reproduce it for others if anyone is interested.” That’s how this all came about. These things are expensive to have produced unfortunately. Thanks for the kind remarks. I’d love to have you as a customer!!
Todd
ToddRon Restorations

Mark,

Currently, nobody I've found has taken on trying to run a mechanical clutch between an RB and a T56. However, I'm about to attempt this soon. McLeod makes an adapter plate to go from a Muncie bellhousing to a T56. I just received one and am going to attempt to mount it behind my Lakewood scattershield, after modifying it to A833 bolt pattern instead.
Just so I become more educated on this mechanical clutch issue.... why would that be preferable to the hydraulic? The Hydraulic setup was super easy and it is so wonderful to drive.
We even used an i sting hole in the firewall for the lever going to the master cylinder. Todd

Todd,

While a hydraulic clutch is probably more preferable for the street, most old time racers I know prefer mechanical if it was available. Some of us old folk wanting dual duty vehicles, that are mostly drag cars driven on the street, would like to have a mechanical option, which unfortunately is currently unavailable for big block Mopar and possibly for small block Mopar as well.

The reason why I want mechanical is because I believe it's less trouble. I've read all the slave cylinder issues and many of the other headaches others have posted about their hydraulic clutches. I like mechanical because I believe I can diagnose any issues easier. Plus, I already have most of the parts to do it.

Brad

Last edited:
Todd,

While a hydraulic clutch is probably more preferable for the street, most old time racers I know prefer mechanical if it was available. Some of us old folk wanting dual duty vehicles, that are mostly drag cars driven on the street, would like to have a mechanical option, which unfortunately is currently unavailable for big block Mopar and possibly for small block Mopar as well.

The reason why I want mechanical is because I believe it's less trouble. I've read all the slave cylinder issues and many of the other headaches others have posted about their hydraulic clutches. I like mechanical because I believe I can diagnose any issues easier. Plus, I already have most of the parts to do it.

Todd's reason for Mechanical clutch and OEM style is much the same as my reason....I have heard of failures of the hydraulics and I personally like the feel of a old school Mopar clutch...I don't want a Honda...or the clutch feel of one :)
Todd, I am interested in how this plays out for you. A body? Keep me in the loop if possible! Thanks...
Brad

-
Back