Installing Headers

-
I'm in the process of deciding which headers to buy for my 71 duster, I'll probably go with the summit headers, since you guys have had decent luck with them. Has anyone had to buy a 90 degree angle oil filter adapter? I just want to make sure I've got everything I need before I start the process.

My filter barely hit the headers (think they are hooker, unsure as they came with the engine when I bought it).

Luckily my car had a 273 originally so I slapped on the original right angle oil filter adapter and I'm good to go ;)

i use a short fram PH16 and PH43 (which i have not found a real difference between) or similar filter straight out of the engine. you CAN use a PH8A or similar, but it will touch the header.

Im going to have to remove the passenger side torsion bar to install the header and remove the steering column for the drivers.

Anyone have experience with the torsions ive never delt with them. The steering looks like it has a drive pin holding it to the steering box.

Im going to have to remove the passenger side torsion bar to install the header and remove the steering column for the drivers.

Anyone have experience with the torsions ive never delt with them. The steering looks like it has a drive pin holding it to the steering box.

Or you could loosen the motor mounts and jack the motor up a few inches. Also, get your car as high up as you can (supported well on stands etc)

Pat

dude why ? the passenger side is the easiest. i just put on ANOTHER set last weekend. had them on in 2 hours. no removing anything other than popping off the centerlink

you think the headers are bad, now you are wanting to take off the front suspension? thats what you will have to do to get the torsion bars out

im not understanding what the problem is. if you have to remove anything but the oil filter on the passenger side, you have the wrong headers

If its that difficult to remove a torsion suspension guess its time to cool off and try again.

I'm installing Hooker 5901's in my '67 273 Column Shift AT, A/C, & P/S and have just got them both bolted up to the heads today...

I didn't need to touch the torsion bars, but the sparkplugs, distributor cap, tierods/centerlink, starter, 90 filter adapter, RH trans brace, kickdown linkage, & shifter cross shaft all needed to come off...

I ended up pulling the coupler off the steering box, pulled the column back, and then removed the 3 attaching bolts from the box and moved it over slightly to get the header up into place.

If I had help I think I could have been able to shuffle the engine over just enough without fooling with the steering box/column anyway...

Next time if I'm by myself, I will pull the mounts off, hoses, fan, and shroud or just pull the engine from the trans (8" to 12" inches off the mounts should do it)

It's a HUGE pain in the back side and the hardest exhaust I've ever hard to install on anything, including big radial engines!!!

Problem areas:

The Steering Coupler is really close to No.7 tube and I may shim the motor up and worse case I'll add a slight dimple...

RH Trans Brace needs to be trimmed slightly to reinstall...

I'll edit as I make progress!!!

you will have to take the pressure off the torsion bar adjuster, pop the upper ball joint OR if you have disc , you will have unbolt the lower ball joint. unbolt the tie rod and sway bar ,unbolt the strut rod, unbolt the lower control arm , pound it backwards and then forward to pull the torsion bar back. this is a lot of work. i have NEVER seen a set of headers that required the torsion bars to come out.

you have to get the front of this car 2 1/2 -3 feet off the ground. take the filter off, and it will slip in there. trust me it will go in easily. then do the drivers side.
i took my braces completely off and never put them back on as per instructions

My motor is out and I'm installing a newer 73 K frame and front suspension. I've thought about putting my motor on the K frame on a dolly and then lifting front of the car up and rolling the assembly under the car. I have these summit headers also and had them on fitting no problem on the old 68 K member but anybody tried installing the whole assembly with headers this way?

I know the motor/tranny did not want to come out the top with the headers on. It has to come forward to far before it comes up and I ended up having to pull the headers mid stream, and the starter.

My motor is out and I'm installing a newer 73 K frame and front suspension. I've thought about putting my motor on the K frame on a dolly and then lifting front of the car up and rolling the assembly under the car. I have these summit headers also and had them on fitting no problem on the old 68 K member but anybody tried installing the whole assembly with headers this way?

I know the motor/tranny did not want to come out the top with the headers on. It has to come forward to far before it comes up and I ended up having to pull the headers mid stream, and the starter.

I think that's how they did it at the factory, lifting the K member with the eng/trans up from the bottom...

i havent. but , as long as you dont forget the torsion bars sneak in there and the centerlink is running through the header, i dont see why it wouldnt work. there is room on both sides to go up and the steering box is mounted on the k member, so thats not an issue.

I think that's how they did it at the factory, lifting the K member with the eng/trans up from the bottom...

they actually lower the body onto the suspension/motor assembly , but he is using headers

Attachments

• z7.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 226

Do a search and I think you will find the answer is yes. There has been many members install everything on the K frame and then install the assembly.

dude why ? the passenger side is the easiest. if you have to remove anything but the oil filter on the passenger side, you have the wrong headers

True, to remove the passenger side on my Duster, all I had to do was remove the 90 degree plate & filter.

Theres a good reason these do not fit my car well. They are not for my car. Not exactly sure what they fit.

Look exactly like these but the placement is opposite (passenger/driver)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9040/

Think im going to buy the summit brand above anyone try them yet?

Theres a good reason these do not fit my car well. They are not for my car. Not exactly sure what they fit.

Look exactly like these but the placement is opposite (passenger/driver)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9040/

Think im going to buy the summit brand above anyone try them yet?

i had a feeling................lol , you shouldnt have had that hard of a time.

those are what Badsport is using and the hookers and hedmans are almost identical to those. those WILL work

Picture Attached, looking around I think they are truck headers... may be wrong though.

IMG240.jpg

They were perfect before I scratched them up attempting to make them fit.... Not dented etc, if anyone can use em let me know im gonna try to sell em to pay for partial of the summit.

those are deffacately truck headers....the ones in the spermmit link are the right ones for a duster.i have done many sets on a bodies and never had to remove the torsion bar...just take mounts loose and lift engine a little...and loosen center link,kick down ect.get the car up as high as you can and boom there in.

Thought id wrap this up, I installed the summit headers a couple weekends ago and they fit perfectly did not have to dent them anywhere. All I had to do was remove the tie-rods/centerlink and lift the engine. Was some fighting but they are in.

Thought id wrap this up, I installed the summit headers a couple weekends ago and they fit perfectly did not have to dent them anywhere. All I had to do was remove the tie-rods/centerlink and lift the engine. Was some fighting but they are in.

Good deal man! Congrats.

Pat

The easiest way and I'm sure you will all agree is to let your best freind put them in for you. That way you let him do all the cussing and they still wont get scratched up. Just make sure he is a good freind because he will be pissed at you when he is done.. Lol

Bob

-
Back