It's no wonder the Slant 6 is so great!

-
Yeah, I got one for free lol
Usually they're too far away when folks are lookin' for 'em, cost more in fuel than they're worth, last one I lucked out. 170 just under an hour away..
Like the new avatar pic btw..

Usually they're too far away when folks are lookin' for 'em, cost more in fuel than they're worth, last one I lucked out. 170 just under an hour away..
Like the new avatar pic btw..
I lucked out, got mine with a bunch of other stuff.
Thanks lol. It's burning over here

I lucked out, got mine with a bunch of other stuff.
Thanks lol. It's burning over here
They should burn the A**hole that set that fire at the stake, He likes fire so much........
EDIT; Probably find out He was destroying evidence for homocide or something, :rolleyes:

They should burn the A**hole that set that fire at the stake, He likes fire so much........
EDIT; Probably find out He was destroying evidence for homocide or something, :rolleyes:
Most of the earlier fires were homeless people, these two im unsure who or what started them except for we had a couple weeks over 105°
Lots of people throw their beer bottles around up in the hills, my theory is magnifying glass effect

Most of the earlier fires were homeless people, these two im unsure who or what started them except for we had a couple weeks over 105°
Lots of people throw their beer bottles around up in the hills, my theory is magnifying glass effect
From what I understand, a witness saw the guy set a car on fire, & then push it over an edge down into a ravine.....where it promptly set the brush & trees on fire.....

From what I understand, a witness saw the guy set a car on fire, & then push it over an edge down into a ravine.....where it promptly set the brush & trees on fire.....
No **** ?

Last edited:
What makes the legendary Slant 6 so great? Lets hear your comments...
Our three-year-old '69 225 /6, loaded with 1,200 lbs of stuff in the trunk, back seat and roof rack for a cross-country move, went across Texas from the western panhandle to New Orleans, a little over 1,000 miles, in almost exactly 10 hours, including stops. The usual driving speed was between 105 and 110 mph (with a one-time max of 117 mph) in temps over 100-deg. F. That August heat was our major incentive to get across Texas quickly! A couple of years later I had to replace the back wheel bearings. We had no other mechanical problems.

That day included a straight line locked brake tire burning emergency stop to brush a tarantula off my bare leg.

"Legendary" may not be an overstatement for these cars.

You have to be a die hard to stick with slants and there are a number of us who do.

They are Not fuel efficient, anyone who says they are excellent on gas, I doubt it.

They are Not powerful, even upgrades do not liven them at the ratio of upgrade vs. Output, that an LA gets.

They are EXPENSIVE, I probably could have built 2 360s for what I have into the Slant in my valiant wagon.

Upgrade parts have seemed to have disappeared in the last 10 years and what you do find in 2024 has skyrocketed in price, making the Slant extremely NOT cost effective.

Yet, some of us just love them to pieces just because. Some things in life doesn't have to make no sense lol

Loving a slant is a state of mind, not a power house (unless you turbo/EFI it with one of Bryce Gill's kits). I would not say they are not powerful if you hop them up. The are quite powerful.... compared to a bone stock wore out one. There is not once I wished our Dart had more power. Get the compression up to something respectable a nice Dutra RV10 type cam grind with 2 barrel and it will run respectfully.

I have managed to kill a slant six - or at least get it to the point I needed to pull it for a teardown because I expected something catastrophic was just around the corner. It was running, but making horrible noises. It turned out the #6 rod bearing was pretty much gone and the journal had visible scratches. As for how it got that way....

A previous owner had left it outside in winter with water instead of antifreeze, and there were cracks in the water jacket buried under mud and grime.

About 200,000 miles on the odometer.

Clogged oil pickup.

5 psi of boost

Repeated dyno pulls to 5500 rpm.

As for why to build a slant six? I wanted to see how much power I could get out of one while remaining practical for street use. And it's my first car. I have worked on a lot of different types of cars and project choices don't have to be rational. Few are, in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
To me they are great! Nothing holds a boat in deep water like dragging a /6 off a chain even in the windy-ist conditions.
This post really needs a red x
I hope you sink your boat with that boat anchor.

Loving a slant is a state of mind, not a power house (unless you turbo/EFI it with one of Bryce Gill's kits). I would not say they are not powerful if you hop them up. The are quite powerful.... compared to a bone stock wore out one. There is not once I wished our Dart had more power. Get the compression up to something respectable a nice Dutra RV10 type cam grind with 2 barrel and it will run respectfully.
I'm slap giddy every time I drive Vixen. She's a barrel of monkey to drive. I just got back from a friend's house helping him adjust the valves and tune on his nostalgia dragster and I had more fun on the ride over and back home. lol

I built a 170 in the late 70's when low octane gas sidelined the 273. What a sweet motor. Milled the head .060, added a MP cam and 340 valve springs, double roller timing set, electronic distributor and box, factory 2 barrel carb and intake, and hooked the exhaust to 1 side of the dual exhaust. It probably doubled the power and would really wind up, best head on the smallest engine always works. It would also get 30 mpg cruising on the highway in a 64 Barracuda with a 4 speed. Basically gave that sweet engine away when a lower compression 273 went back in.

Also built a 170 Ford for an early Falcon. That took a bit more parts and money. 200 head, 300 single barrel carb, and headers. Turned out very well also, but that integral intake was a pain to deal with.

When I turned 16, I inherited a 73 Gold Duster with the Slant. It was an extra car at our house. Had been sitting in the garage for years due to a burned ballast resistor and I figured it out. I had to drive that car for a year. Hated it. The only good thing about the car was it had an impressive A/C to deal with the Texas summers. However, turn on the A/C and the car barely had enough power to pass itself on the highway!

Rat Rod Al was right about the oil filter and distributor... so easy to deal with! Ha-ha! OMG what were those design engineers thinking?? I suppose engines were easier to service if installed in a truck, but the A-bodies... holy crap it was a pain! Oh sure... let's mount the oil filter upside down! Customers will love that feature! Helps lubricate the driveway! I was just glad mine had electronic ignition and didn't have to deal with points! And those damn spark plug tubes... another brainstorm idea!

A year later, I bought a 72 Gold Duster with a 318 and 69,000 miles from a lady for $400. I drove that car for the next 26 years! Talk about a HUGE upgrade! It was amazing how fast that car would go compared to the Slant. I really don't think there was much difference in fuel economy between the two. But, that could have been because I always had the pedal all the way to the floor to try to make it go!

With all that smack I talked on the Slant, it was indeed reliable and took a beating from a 16 year old kid that would slam it into Low 1 and punch it while still moving backwards just to try to leave a mark on the road... and it would. Just not a very big one! LOL In hindsight, it was the perfect engine for a young boy to have. I bet that if I had anything bigger, I would have ended up in a ditch or lots of speeding tickets (even though the speed limit was 55 then). I used to know a lot of people back then that had them. I never heard of anyone destroying them. They just kept on going.

Today, I would love to find an old A-body or truck with a Slant. I would likely do a few small upgrades just for giggles. A 4 bbl and some headers would bring me a smile.

This much is certain... they cannot hold a candle to ANYTHING in the past 4 decades in stock form. BUT, it's important to keep in mind that when this engine was first introduced, it was a technological marvel. Big Mama Mopar probably never expected this engine to exist for as long as it did.

Growing up, my dad had a 1962 Valiant that he totaled, then a 1964 Valiant and a 1964 Stepside Dodge D100, all with 225 /6s. He let me help him rebuild the slant in the 1964 Valiant that he bought used. Don't know how many times the odometer had tripped by that point but we found two broken distributor gears in the basepan. I currently have a 1980 Volare Duster with a 225 that runs great and I drove it 65 miles each way to work for 2 years with no issues. I was also fortunate enough to find a 1963 Valiant Signet 200, 2 door hardtop that needs a lot of body work but the 225 had been rebuilt and even has a metal tag attached to the block by a rebuilding service. I haven't driven it anywhere yet as the floor is rusted out where the accelerator pedal was mounted but it seems to run good with no smoke. Also, my Dart was a 225 with 3 on the tree when I got it but had a rod knock so it was a no brainer to pull it for a V8 swap. I'll have to open it up and check to see if it's number 5.

As @RustyRatRod has said here those that knock the slant for being gutless have never driven one that has been rebuilt focusing on giving it some oomph. They are a hoot when built right.

I thought I read somewhere that slant design was to lower the hood line of the cars. Great little engines, never really had any problems with any that I’ve owned. They all did exactly what they were supposed to, haul my *** to work and back :thumbsup:

-
Back