Jeep 4.0 in 69 Barracuda

-
So after surviving xmas, I found a slush of funds which permitted me to purchase the quick change tool bit post which came with 5 tool holders. I then added 2 additional quick change tool holders. As soon as it shows up, I will get that installed on the lathe and start using it.

Always good to start the new year w/a little(big?) positive bump! Happy New Year!

Always good to start the new year w/a little(big?) positive bump! Happy New Year!

Not so much of a bump as it is locating funds which were not spent... lol We are only talking about $150. I still need to locate someone who can help me with reconstructing the lower control arms. If I had a band saw, I could do part of the job myself. But I want to avoid using a chop saw or some other form of grinding base cutter.

I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks, happy new year to all as well.

So the new quick change tool post showed up last weekend which allowed me to attempt cutting my new sleeves for the hiem joints. Needless to say I have made a lot of chips out of 1ft long 1in x .250 wall steel. And I have found that the sled needs to be tighten. I am buying 2 ft of 6061 aluminum round tube and new lathe cutting tool bits with carbine insert (vs the cheap ones I bought). Another thing which is holding me up is my need for a better method of cutting material such as a band saw.

Need less to say, this project is on hold to allow for some re tooling and new supplies.

You might want to look into a multi-cut saw, basically a chop-saw that uses different tipped circular saw blades for cutting metals, not an abrasive wheel.

You might want to look into a multi-cut saw, basically a chop-saw that uses different tipped circular saw blades for cutting metals, not an abrasive wheel.

I forgot all about that tool. I make it a point to look into it this weekend.

man, it's been a hot minute since I've viewed this thread

John, I hope all's going well and things are stable with you and the missus.

Any updates?

man, it's been a hot minute since I've viewed this thread

John, I hope all's going well and things are stable with you and the missus.

Any updates?

Thank you for your concern. Yes, things have calmed down quite a bit and we have worked thru the issues that brought trouble. We recently just made it too our 10th wedding anniversary just under a week ago. The car had to take a back seat for a while so I could focus on where my marriage was going.

While still keeping things with the wife in a better state, I have been buying tools and such I need for the project. As stated in a much earlier post, the issue with the lower control arms from the kit I bought is quite clear. I may be overly paranoid, but I don't just want to use an abrasive saw to cut the control arms to be redesigned. A few people here suggested other tooling options and I ended up going with a Grizzly Band Saw. So with that in mind, my recent purchase and my learning to use the Lathe, I am just looking for a fabricator who feels comfortable putting his/her name on welding lower control arms. I have the design in mind, all I need is to buy the metal tube and have someone to stand beside me and weld. Its a bit frustrating to have all this money wrapped up in parts that I can not use due to poor design requiring me to redesign. And that seems to make others uncomfortable in getting involved. Yet I have not been told that my design plan is bad. I am almost to the point of taking a welding course in college and just doing it myself. I use to weld exhaust systems when I worked in a brake and exhaust shop in my early college years, I probably could pick it up again with decent equipment. But that is a easy $4k investment to buy the correct tooling to do it right. And would def would prolong my build time on the car.

My other blocker to making real headway on my barracuda project is my being potentially impacted by VW diesel gate and since I may be loosing my 2014 Jetta TDi, I am rebuilding my 2000 Mk4 Jetta and swapping out the 2.slow (2.0L) gas engine for a 1.9L TDi which is not affected by the scandal.

Others are uncomfortable getting involved simply due to liability...without some form of litigation protection, any work they do which failed due to whatever circumstances could potentially end up harming you, leaving open a route for civil charges and no **** federal pound me in the *** prison time.

I would say I know someone who'd be happy to do whatever welding you need done, BUT, the above still applies.

Others are uncomfortable getting involved simply due to liability...without some form of litigation protection, any work they do which failed due to whatever circumstances could potentially end up harming you, leaving open a route for civil charges and no **** federal pound me in the *** prison time.

I would say I know someone who'd be happy to do whatever welding you need done, BUT, the above still applies.

I know. And as such I am in the situation I am in looking for someone to assist. Even better most of the shops say this job is too small to tackle.

John

Too small to tackle? Unless they're only charging you like 30-50 bucks, it's like free money to a shop that does simple machining operations and welding, right?

I took a piece from the Hughes cam snout extension kit to a local machinist here a few years ago. The spacer was a small piece, and needed to have .110" knocked off so my fuel pump eccentric and other pieces would fit together correctly. I spent $30 on the kit from Hughes, and another $30 on the time it took this guy to put the spacer in his mill, and run a bit over it a couple times...free money for that dude. I still have yet to figure out why Hughes didn't just make the spacer in the correct dimension in the first place knowing full well the instructions even said the spacer needed to be shaved to work.

Original Poster here. So this project has not stopped, just derailed for a bit. I got the assistance needed to correctly fix the lower control arms of the AJE suspension kit from a Jeep fabrication shop. I am super stoked to start working on this. If all goes as hoped, I will be posting you tube videos and pictures of the engine going in by this July. With any luck, the engine firing up by the end of summer.

The shop doing the corrective work to the control arms is going to squeeze me in as a cash deal over the next couple months.

Pictures to come.

Man, I've thought about a 4.0 in an A-Body. Gonna have to read through this whole thread now. :)

I've thought the other way too.. mounting an A-Body k-member in an XJ Cherokee. Small block with a 904, most XJ's already have a 3.55 8 1/4 rear.. think that would be a fun thing.

Man, I've thought about a 4.0 in an A-Body. Gonna have to read through this whole thread now. :)

There is a lot of dry reading in there of my ramblings and asking questions. Along with some pictures which I hear may be broke due to photo bucket. I have never done anything like this, although I have heard many people say things like "Wouldnt it be cool....". I have already built up a 225. And my next challenge was this or a stroker slant six. And since there are stroker slant sixes out there, this was the route I chose.

I've thought the other way too.. mounting an A-Body k-member in an XJ Cherokee. Small block with a 904, most XJ's already have a 3.55 8 1/4 rear.. think that would be a fun thing.

But really what do you get going down this path, a grand cherokee. Grand cherokee came with the 318 v8 in them. It would be easier to use the ZJ as your parts rig and build a v8 XJ with it.

What have seen is a VW TDi in a Cherokee. That was really cool.

There is a lot of dry reading in there of my ramblings and asking questions. Along with some pictures which I hear may be broke due to photo bucket. I have never done anything like this, although I have heard many people say things like "Wouldnt it be cool....". I have already built up a 225. And my next challenge was this or a stroker slant six. And since there are stroker slant sixes out there, this was the route I chose.

But really what do you get going down this path, a grand cherokee. Grand cherokee came with the 318 v8 in them. It would be easier to use the ZJ as your parts rig and build a v8 XJ with it.

What have seen is a VW TDi in a Cherokee. That was really cool.
Wise words man, thanks!
Although... would be cool to have an XJ with torsion bars from an a-body, lol. XJ is quite a bit smaller and lighter than a Grand. Just beer drinking spit balling here :)

Thanks for the update! Been quite awhile since 2017!

Thanks. Alot has happened since my last post. With all the legal issues involving diesel gate, I have been able to retain my Mk6 Jetta TDi 6sp car. That was a big stresser going on. Of course my wife and I made it thru some rough times back in 2017 as a result of failed IVF attempt. Afterwards we had success and currently have a 20 month old son. So now I have a mini me running around and I am looking forward to those days turning wrenches on this car with him.

I’ve just found and read through this entire thread. I really like the idea and I’m glad you’re still updating.

I’m looking at doing a 4.0 and AW4 conversion into an Australian VF Valiant coupe, almost the same as a Dodge Dart. I see you had oil pan clearance issues, I’m wondering if I can get around that by using the earlier 258 oil pan and pickup which is more of a mid sump type. Did you ever look into that option?

I’ve just found and read through this entire thread. I really like the idea and I’m glad you’re still updating.

I feel for you. That was a lot of reading and useless questions of mine.... lol

I’m looking at doing a 4.0 and AW4 conversion into an Australian VF Valiant coupe, almost the same as a Dodge Dart. I see you had oil pan clearance issues, I’m wondering if I can get around that by using the earlier 258 oil pan and pickup which is more of a mid sump type. Did you ever look into that option?

Keep in mind the height difference between a slant six and a 4.0L. Unless you want a Pro Stock scoop on your hood. Part of the K Member change is the ability to drop the engine into the bay lower. The other issue I found is the steering linkage. Updating the K Member allows for a updated steering systme moving to a Mustang 2 suspension including spindles.

The hardest part of what your looking at trying to do is the fitment of the T Case. And which t case you choose to go with.

If you want to try an keep the original steering linkage, you may want to consider the QA1 K Member which will allow you to still go coil over and use the original lower control arms (or the QA1 updated ones) with the original steering linkage and steering box.

Keep me posted on your project.

John

Hey!!! Glad to see this still moving forward, Thx for the updates, peace & health to You & Your's!!

Hey!!! Glad to see this still moving forward, Thx for the updates, peace & health to You & Your's!!

Oh yeah, this has not stopped. Was just delayed a great deal of time.

I will let everyone know when the lower control arms are fixed and the car is on the ground. At that time, I will get the engine secured in.

Thanks, and same with you and yours... :)

Ok everyone, I have a new update to share worthy of making a post....

Finally, after much time and discussions with those who know more about suspension than I, we have the barracuda 1 step closer to being on wheels again.

Much thanks to HemiDenny for his assistance in trying to help me clean up this mess I got myself into.

I have decided to move forward with the suspension kit I have for the time being. I had a local Jeep / Off-Road fabrication shop rebuild the lower control arms. And those are being powder coated now. Meanwhile, I bought the upper shock hoop mounting system from HDK. I have to build narrow spacers to work with my coil-overs, But that will be fine. And I will save the spacers which the kit came with till I can upgrade my coil-overs with the ones recommended by HDK.

20200731_143252.jpg

As soon as the lower control arms and K-Frame return, I will get those attached and a picture taken prior to installing the steering knuckles and such.

Once the car is on the ground, I can start determining how low/high to mount the engine. Build Engine mounts and Transmission mount. Design and build (or pay to build... lol) the siamese exhaust system and modify JEEP YJ Wrangler harness wiring to be a stand-alone engine side harness and how it will tie into the main harness. Then get the car ready to break down and media blast in prep for body work and paint which will happen next summer.

Still need to look at my rear axle thoughts. I had a plan as too what I wanted to do which was going to follow the jeep drive-train theme, but found a better option which allows me to use a factory rear.

More to come...
John

-
Back