Key issues with my newly acquired 69 Barracuda

-

Swiftcuda

Reaction score
I didn't notice any issues turning the key beforehand, but I only turned the key probably 4 times before it got stuck. Now the key won't come out and it won't turn at all. It was working fine, but as I was trying to start it to drive off the trailer the battery died. I went to get a jump starter and when I got back in the key wouldn't turn.

I didn't think there was any kind of locking mechanism on these. It's a console car, never a column shift. The wheels turn left/right freely so there doesn't appear to be a column lock of any kind. I thought maybe it was just age and sprayed some wd40 in the mechanism but no luck.

At this point I have tried all the tricks I know. Pressing key up or down while turning back and forth, pushing it in/pulling it out while turning back and forth.

Any experience out there that can help me? Thanks in advance!

The issues are all right in the switch/ lock cylinder, there is no connection, mechanically, to any lockouts, etc.

All I can advise is to get it out, get it apart and examine it. You have a service manual? If not, go to MyMopar.com, they are free. You may have to accept Dodge vs Plymouth, etc.

Once you remove it and find that it's irreparable note that '69 is a one year only ignition switch when you go to replace it.

By any chance did you put the key in upside down?

It can happen with worn out keyways.

Get some spray lube into the cylinder.

If the pins got stuck the key will not come out and might not allow for the key to be turned.

I was able to refurbish my 50 plus year old switch. It was a bit of a bugger but it is working. Good luck and I would pray for patience.

By any chance did you put the key in upside down?

It can happen with worn out keyways.

Get some spray lube into the cylinder.

If the pins got stuck the key will not come out and might not allow for the key to be turned.
Not upside down, I had turned it minutes before. When I got back in it was stuck.

Having never taken out an ignition switch before I ventured out to the Utubes. It would seem that if I can get the ignition switch out, there won't be any way to remove they cylinder since the key won't turn. I'd have to dremel/grind out the pin to remove the cylinder and replace it.

Assuming I am correct so far, it seems that the replacement lock set I posted above would be a good choice to get all my keys sorted. (seller gave me 1 ignition, 1 door, 1 trunk key, so I guess the ignition had been replaced before.

The only other item of consideration is that I saw a set to convert the ignition switch to the 60-68 style. I wonder if that is worth doing?
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/dodge/dart/parts/mn1772.html

Having never taken out an ignition switch before I ventured out to the Utubes. It would seem that if I can get the ignition switch out, there won't be any way to remove they cylinder since the key won't turn. I'd have to dremel/grind out the pin to remove the cylinder and replace it.

Assuming I am correct so far, it seems that the replacement lock set I posted above would be a good choice to get all my keys sorted. (seller gave me 1 ignition, 1 door, 1 trunk key, so I guess the ignition had been replaced before.

The only other item of consideration is that I saw a set to convert the ignition switch to the 60-68 style. I wonder if that is worth doing?
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1969/dodge/dart/parts/mn1772.html
Maybe just pick a direction and stick with it.

So rather than just talking about it I figured I'd take out the ignition switch and assess. That looks maybe a B-body ignition? The big nut was acting as a spacer to hold it in place.

Do I grind out the button on the cylinder and just replace that? Or do I replace the whole thing with maybe a 68 ignition?

Pardon my ignorance but I'm only a couple days into a car I don't know much about.

20240916_122648.jpg

Take the switch assembly and bang it against a piece of wood while pulling and pushing the key back and forth.
If that does not work then grind the release pin and remove the lock cylinder from the switch.
Dremel has many different grinding tips.

Google the # on the switch, maybe it's not correct? Where's the bezel that threads onto the switch?
If it were me....the switch would go to a locksmith OR find another 69 keyed ignition switch. Have you got both a FACTORY parts manual and a service manual? Go to mymopar.com they're there for free to download.

Looks like it was already converted to the earlier switch. Either get a replacement one like the one you pulled out, or convert back to a stock '69 setup. I have a used switch with key either way. I can key either one with your door locks as long as I have a sample. I have new door locks cylinders with keys also, if yours are bad. PM me if you need more info.

My money is on some lube and some sharp raps on the body of the lock to release the stuck pin

I have replaced the lock cyl in these without the key. It’s a pain but you can do it if you need to. I used picks and an awl and pried and depressed that little button. I lost my key and temporarily removed all the tumblers so I could use a different key. Recently got a set from Rockauto and installed (ign lock cyl and doors)

Ordered a new cylinder and got the other one out. As soon as I got it out it turned free... its the ignition switch that is broken. So now that is on the way.

Replaced the switch and cyclinder with a 1968 model. Fit in just fun and started on first turn of the key.

This one is done! Thanks for all the info

-
Back