Let's get this slant turbo project started. 71 Dart

-
I've yet to see a cast aluminum one without the 2 parts welded together. That might be a good piece, but not $999 good...
m

i havent really had a chance to look at the tach when the boost comes on. just keeping the car on the road is enough. lol. it starts a little later then the other one so im gonna say it starts from a stop around 2500-2700rpm and at 20psi 3200-3500. once it starts it gets there fast. its spinning tires and getting squirly when the boost comes on. i got a tach with a shift light just so i wouldnt have to look down. lol.

for the 500 i would say just run the 73's for now. get it all working and holding pressure and go from there. start with 5-8psi and get farmiliar with how to tune the carb then start stepping it up when you are comfortable if you want.

i put the biggest intercooler i thought i could fit in my car. went behind the grille with a measuring tape and started figuring out what i was willing to cut to make it happen. there isnt much room behind my grille. there is a noticable pressure drop across it. 3psi or so. but after doing test pulls and bringing the car back i feel it to check the temp most of the time. the turbo side is warm, 1/4 over twards the outlet side is cool to the touch. so i know its working. piping is all nice and cold too. if you plan on running any double digit numbers i would plan on some kind of intercooler, air to air or chemical. hot air kills engines.

Thanks for the advice RustyPlymouth.

I have been kind of laid up the last few days. Took a tumble over a pet gate and got a case of bursitis in my knee.

This has given me too much time to window shop for goodies.
I have been looking at intercoolers and I like your style on fitting the biggest one you can in there :cheers: I think I can squeeze one across the width of where a 26" radiator would fit. I have a 22" or smaller in there now. I think I can also go about 10 - 12" deep and 3-4" wide. Prices seem to be around a $100. Tubing/piping and fittings about the same price.

My gas gauge has never worked so I picked up a new 1/2" sending unit. Might as well upgrade if I am down there monkeying around with it anyway. May as well plumb a return line as well. Look around and see a good location for an inline fuel pump while I am down there as I am not sure the stock mechanical pump can provide that kind of psi you mentioned above.

Ordered a long ground cable, I want to ground the electrical as much as I can. I also ordered an electric 3,000 cfm 16" fan for the radiator. Just looking for a thermostat switch for it right now.

Thought I might crawl around the car a bit today as I am not working but this knee is keeping me from doing that :banghead:

I used a 28" x14" core I believe? I don't remember now, but it is 3" wide and fit with plenty room to spare behind the grill and bumper. I just had to ditch the upper support. I got a dyno run in today, give it a view on my buildthread, and give yourself reason to work on the slant. lol.

I used a 28" x14" core I believe? I don't remember now, but it is 3" wide and fit with plenty room to spare behind the grill and bumper. I just had to ditch the upper support. I got a dyno run in today, give it a view on my buildthread, and give yourself reason to work on the slant. lol.

I think I have a lot more room behind the grille on a 71. I have a 67 and recall it is a tight fit!

Saw your Dyno run and stats. Very happy to see that! Also happy to see we have a Dyno so close by :cheers:

How much was it to have them run your car?
Wish I had access to a dyno when I had my 340 challenger.

I think I have a lot more room behind the grille on a 71. I have a 67 and recall it is a tight fit!

Saw your Dyno run and stats. Very happy to see that! Also happy to see we have a Dyno so close by :cheers:

How much was it to have them run your car?
Wish I had access to a dyno when I had my 340 challenger.

It was Anthony out of Hybridworks in Vallejo. He has a nice setup. It's very obviously a Honda/ import shop, but they were happy enough to take the Mopar. He knows what he's doing, and I trusted his input.

Cost was $80 for a baseline 3 pull run. Very reasonable.

The shop is hidden in an alley behind the Harley Shop and towyard right off of highway 29, you know kind of by Jack In The Box and where Walmart used to be.

It was Anthony out of Hybridworks in Vallejo. He has a nice setup. It's very obviously a Honda/ import shop, but they were happy enough to take the Mopar. He knows what he's doing, and I trusted his input.

Cost was $80 for a baseline 3 pull run. Very reasonable.

The shop is hidden in an alley behind the Harley Shop and towyard right off of highway 29, you know kind of by Jack In The Box and where Walmart used to be.[/QUOTE

I know where you are talking about. Thank you!
$80 for three pulls, I think I can budget for that : )

What a day!

Tire slasher came back and got my daily driver Honda. One tire plus he egged my car and my girlfriends. Threw a rock and one of the cars but can't see what damage was done, just a big rock out of place in the driveway.

My first thought was "Got it on video" but no, girlfriend moved the video recording equipment AGAIN and it stopped recording. Informed her she was now responsible for keeping it up and running.

Since I have a flat I diagnosed the starting problem on the Dart. It would not start last week. Ballast resister, but I had a spare in the glove box. Installed it and it started right up. Went to the part store and they had a Mallory after market one. Bought it and went to another part store as most stores around me only seem to keep one on the shelf at a time. Picked up a 2nd spare. While I was installing it I noticed the previous owners job of wiring. It consists of twisting wires together and three wraps of electrical tape. This won't last another rainy season I am certain. Going out to buy a soldering gun and accessories right now.

Dug out my tire mounting equipment as I seem to go through a lot of tires the last year I think it may pay for itself if this keeps up.

Local Police report filed. I expect zero action from them unless they want to give me a moving violation or parking ticket. They never responded the last three times I called them.

In other news the Dart runs like a watch!

Think I will go blow off some steam and take it for a ride. Gotta be careful, already had two women almost crash into me in 30 minutes!

What a day!

Tire slasher came back and got my daily driver Honda. One tire plus he egged my car and my girlfriends. Threw a rock and one of the cars but can't see what damage was done, just a big rock out of place in the driveway.

My first thought was "Got it on video" but no, girlfriend moved the video recording equipment AGAIN and it stopped recording. Informed her she was now responsible for keeping it up and running.

Since I have a flat I diagnosed the starting problem on the Dart. It would not start last week. Ballast resister, but I had a spare in the glove box. Installed it and it started right up. Went to the part store and they had a Mallory after market one. Bought it and went to another part store as most stores around me only seem to keep one on the shelf at a time. Picked up a 2nd spare. While I was installing it I noticed the previous owners job of wiring. It consists of twisting wires together and three wraps of electrical tape. This won't last another rainy season I am certain. Going out to buy a soldering gun and accessories right now.

Dug out my tire mounting equipment as I seem to go through a lot of tires the last year I think it may pay for itself if this keeps up.

Local Police report filed. I expect zero action from them unless they want to give me a moving violation or parking ticket. They never responded the last three times I called them.

Think I will go blow off some steam and take it for a ride. Gotta be careful, already had two women almost crash into me in 30 minutes!

Sorry to hear about your being the victim of such adolescent behavior. I hope you get this idiot.

Keep the video rolling: you'll catch him in the act, eventually.:pale:

Sorry to hear about your being the victim of such adolescent behavior. I hope you get this idiot.

Keep the video rolling: you'll catch him in the act, eventually.:pale:

Thank you Bill.

Good news, the camera system did record it. Major apologies to my girlfriend:prayer:

They drove past the house, did a u turn and drove past again. Parked two doors down and across the street. Walked over with Hoodies on and made a beeline for the right rear tire on my 99 Dakota R/T. They already cut this tire earlier in the year though but they could not tell as I had jacked the truck up on a lone jack stand to give it the appearance of being a good tire. So while one of them tried to pop a tire that was already bad the other guy turned around and stabbed the side wall of the back tire on my honda. So it could have been worse, I could have been out another 17 inch tire and a 14 inch tire.

I ordered two replacement tires last month for the dakota but hesitated swapping them out for just this reason.

Now I just a matching pair of 14's for the honda.

Bad news is the camera does not show their faces, or the make or license plate of the car. But they did put their hands on the truck and car. So tomorrow I will contact the police and add that to the police report. Curious if they will bother to do anything about it.

Called up my parents and gave them a firm nudge about getting rid of the two dead Chevy/GMC pickups my dad has taking up my front and side driveways. Really like to get those the hell out of the way so I can put my truck and Challenger over there. Two less cars to stress over.

What a day!

Scratch the running like a watch.

Went to start it and it turns over but no start. Swapped out the ballast resister but nothing changed. It was getting dark so I stopped for the night. My girlfriend drove me to get a soldering gun but the store only had a tiny one, bought a microtorch and will give that a try. Not eager to do that, prefer a heavy duty soldering gun but will have to scout out one. If I drop a soldering gun in a car it will burn what it touches, a microtorch may burn down the car. Try to only use it under the hood until I get another option.

Bought an Uninterruptible power supply for the security system, only 45 minutes of back up but it will get me through any short term power problems.

Any action from the Antioch police department? They should at least, send a crew out to fingerprint the car and truck. Tell the chief what you have had to put up with; he needs to know....#-o

From what I've seen Bill, Antioch is almost like the old west now. I think unless you go vigilante justice there's not much to be done.

Even Vallejo, with their limited resources - has an online form to fill out if your car gets stolen or vandalized. They will not send an officer to come deal with it. You just fill out the online form, and then never see your car again - pretty effective. That's why I only park in front of a window that I can see my car out of if I visit.

Just found this on Amazon.com

You can make your own gasket, may be handy with the exhaust pipe sizing issue?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006G30D6Q/?tag=joeychgo-20

Remflex GS16511 Gasket Sheet

Remflex DIY material comes in a standard 1/8 Inch thickness and is designed to crush 50 percent allowing it to fill any pits or gaps in the flange surface up to 1/16 Inch; DIY Gasket Sheet 6-1/2" x 11" x 1/8" Thick Remflex Do-It-Yourself Gasket Sheet Material
Though Remflex DIY material is thicker than other material bolts longer than your existing fasteners are not required
This DIY material can be easily cut with a razor blade or Exacto-Knife
Trace your pattern first then punch or drill out any bolt holes then the inside holes and then the outside shape
A sample practice piece of the material comes with your order to practice on before you begin your project; it is highly recommend that you do this and get a feel for the material before you handle the gasket sheet

im running one of these on my j-pipe. http://catalog.remflex.com/MOPAR_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/6006.htm had the pipe off a couple times and it is still good.

That's the one I am considering as well. Serj22 Mentioned it being tight on one of his setups. I thought this might be an alternative. Also other custom needs I found Remflex also has a gasket for my ct 26 turbo. I have three Remflex gaskets in the check out box on Amazon.com Just waiting for payday.

From what I've seen Bill, Antioch is almost like the old west now. I think unless you go vigilante justice there's not much to be done.

Even Vallejo, with their limited resources - has an online form to fill out if your car gets stolen or vandalized. They will not send an officer to come deal with it. You just fill out the online form, and then never see your car again - pretty effective. That's why I only park in front of a window that I can see my car out of if I visit.

Yes!
Antioch is becoming much like the wild West. Today I could hear sirens and tires squeeling and a couple minutes later a helicopter. Some nights you can hear the helicopter over head for 45 minutes straight.

I have been trying to add a supplemental report to my police report but the computer is not letting me do it. Call a little while ago and was assured I could do it online but no luck.

Meantime just mounted and balanced a new tire tonight. May as well save money on that part of it since I need to do it so often.

Hey chichli, I thought I would correct some misinformation I wrote earlier. I stated that I was running 70 jets. I was told that by the guy I bought the carb from, put it in and thought nothing of it because it ran well. Well today it started running in the high afrs (lean) so I'm taking it apart. The jets were not even hand tight, even though I made sure they were secure when I got it. The jets are a "61" and a "56" and I'm not sure how the correlation goes, but I'm assuming they meant to put two "61"s in. So I am going to get a few more jets and experiment. We'll see what happens.

Thanks Serj22!

I've been hibernating and getting even less done than usual. I appreciate you letting me know what you found in the carb.

Mike

Hey chichli, I thought I would correct some misinformation I wrote earlier. I stated that I was running 70 jets. I was told that by the guy I bought the carb from, put it in and thought nothing of it because it ran well. Well today it started running in the high afrs (lean) so I'm taking it apart. The jets were not even hand tight, even though I made sure they were secure when I got it. The jets are a "61" and a "56" and I'm not sure how the correlation goes, but I'm assuming they meant to put two "61"s in. So I am going to get a few more jets and experiment. We'll see what happens.

Well Chichli, I found 61's weren't cutting it either. I went to 65's. They are purrrrfect. Right now I'm just trying to get more pressure to the power valve pocket to overcome the pressure in the float bowl. 13s all day long.

Well Chichli, I found 61's weren't cutting it either. I went to 65's. They are purrrrfect. Right now I'm just trying to get more pressure to the power valve pocket to overcome the pressure in the float bowl. 13s all day long.

Keep tuning; you'll end up in the 12's... :blob:

Are 12s necessary? Or rather is it better? 13 is when there's no boost, pulling around 8 inches of vacuum and cruising the highway.

I need to dial in my boost referenced power valve. The boost pressure is not overcoming itself. I need to find a way to get more pressure to the power valve. Maybe a line direct from the pocket over to the compressor would be better - or like chris has done and get it over to the exhaust.

Are 12s necessary? Or rather is it better? 13 is when there's no boost, pulling around 8 inches of vacuum and cruising the highway.

I need to dial in my boost referenced power valve. The boost pressure is not overcoming itself. I need to find a way to get more pressure to the power valve. Maybe a line direct from the pocket over to the compressor would be better - or like chris has done and get it over to the exhaust.

I meant e.t.'s...

Yes. 12s are better than 13s... lol!:blob:

Happy Holidays Mopar Guys and Gals.

12/24/14 working tonight, family tomorrow and maybe if the weathers good on the weekend I can play with my MSD setup.

Would like to bypass the Ballast resistor since it seems to be the weak link in the ignition system. I really don't want to drive this thing in the rain right now but would be nice to make the ignition more reliable.

Serj22 that is a good price on the box of Holley jets that Bill posted. I picked up one a few months back as I rarely get off my *** to work on the car, I don't want to have to run to the part store while working on it. Too easily distracted apparently : )

Any suggestions on fuel line and fittings? Serj22 I had never heard of push lock (SP) until I saw you post on it. I will be probably be adding the walbro pump and Aeromotive regulator want to plumb the lines so it is safe, and can pass tech if I want to take it to the track.

Be safe when you drive guys!

Mike

12/24/14 working tonight, family tomorrow and maybe if the weathers good on the weekend I can play with my MSD setup.

Would like to bypass the Ballast resistor since it seems to be the weak link in the ignition system. I really don't want to drive this thing in the rain right now but would be nice to make the ignition more reliable.

Serj22 that is a good price on the box of Holley jets that Bill posted. I picked up one a few months back as I rarely get off my *** to work on the car, I don't want to have to run to the part store while working on it. Too easily distracted apparently : )

Any suggestions on fuel line and fittings? Serj22 I had never heard of push lock (SP) until I saw you post on it. I will be probably be adding the walbro pump and Aeromotive regulator want to plumb the lines so it is safe, and can pass tech if I want to take it to the track.

Mike

My push lock plumbing is going on 7 years and has never leaked a drop (with no clamps.)

I think its a very viable setup.

See pics...

Attachments

• 100_3265.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_2847.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_3150-1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 226

Mike

Bill posted on the Push-Loc. I have not used it, just the similar tubing for boat applications - on boats. I don't know if a full push-loc setup would pass tech, everything I read near me dictates that hard line must be used, and no rubber - unless it's less than a foot long, and braided is ok. I don't remember what it said about push-loc but it could be just fine for the entire run.

I just didn't like the idea of leaving something cuttable running under the car. Sabotage just comes to mind. Especially in your area where you are having issues just keeping tires on the car. It only takes someone a little smarter to realize they can cut the fuel line and your whole tank will drain into the street which is so much "cooler" than just slashing the tires. Maybe that's a silly thought, but it is something I think about - it only takes one jerk. So hard line is what I used, and braided where it needed to connect to stuff.

I actually found a better deal on jets that range from 50-70 and is only $20, which is all I'll be using anyway.

As for fittings, buy them all in bulk, otherwise you'll be paying about $10/each for one piece, especially if you're going the A/N route which becomes annoying if you're missing a part and have to make due with what the hardware store has - which is flare, or npt, and neither of them mate up well, but if you do wind up doing AN and need a quick fix conversion, AN is written in 16ths, so a 4 is 4/16 (1/4) and a 10 is 10/16ths (5/8ths) etc etc...

-
Back