Lost Frost plugs

-
Here is copper expansion plug by Dorman with size information and part numbers.

• [FONT=&quot]Standard Size: 1-1/4"[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Decimal Size: 1.250"[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Metric Size: 32mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Maximum Expansion: 1.280"[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Maximum Metric Expansion: 32.5mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Part # : 02480 [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Standard Size: 1-1/2"[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Decimal Size: 1.500"[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Metric Size: 38.5mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Maximum Expansion: 1.530"[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Maximum Metric Expansion: 38.862mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Part # : 02482 [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Standard Size: 1-5/8"[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Decimal Size: 1.625"[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Metric Size: 42mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Maximum Expansion: 1.655"[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Maximum Metric Expansion: 42.037mm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Part # : 02483 [/FONT]

Attachments

• fghjkiuu.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 204
might be worth the extra cost & work of doing it twice and installing the cheapo/easy install rubber expansion plugs. that way you can find out if the block is cracked before
you fight the permanent ones in.

I would pull the engine. Ain't like you're workin on a 2014 automobile. It is very easy to get it out.

Our O'Reily's are less than six months old.

we JUST got them.

My opinion on this is that unless you are 100% SURE that you saw the missing plugs, that they were never installed. The only reason they would have come out had they been installed would be if water froze in the block and pushed them out. You say it did not have water in it, so.....

interesting point Rusty...

Sometimes the most obvious answer is overlooked...and the correct answer.

My opinion on this is that unless you are 100% SURE that you saw the missing plugs, that they were never installed. The only reason they would have come out had they been installed would be if water froze in the block and pushed them out. You say it did not have water in it, so.....

Grassy, I had a thought.... You live in Canada so could it be possible they were left out so a block heater could be installed?

I bought the engine as a "crate" unit. It had been built by a trusted individual. I think last year I had it broken in..that is where they attach it to an electric engine and spin it at 1500rpm (i think) for a period of time.

The engine has never had water in it.

I spray painted it last year.

I am completely stumped.

Ian.

Since you cannot hit directly, how do you make sure it goes in straight ?

You put the plug in so it goes just past the chamfer on the cup plug hole in the block. The lip of the plug should be just under the chamfer for the hole.

the dorman kit is missing 2 of the smaller brass plugs. but most parts stores sell dorman plugs single.

You can get complete kits from year one or mancini that have cup plugs, galley plugs, and even the oil filter plate and bolt. In brass or standard.

x10 on Don't use the rubber plugs with the screw. They are not durable like the solid metal plugs are. Only use them as a temporary fix.

I bought the engine as a "crate" unit. It had been built by a trusted individual. I think last year I had it broken in..that is where they attach it to an electric engine and spin it at 1500rpm (i think) for a period of time.

The engine has never had water in it.

I spray painted it last year.

I am completely stumped.

Ian.

There is a clue.... Is there spray paint inside the block and on the surfaces where the missing plugs are?

If if Canada buy a couple block heaters and install them they expand in the hole and are made to be permanent

An electric run in stand does not break in an engine. It is useful for verifying oil pressure and checking compression on all cylinders--that's about it. Good news though as I would bet Dollars to Donuts that there were never any plugs in the offending holes. Don't use sealant--use Permatex/Loctite Green Sleeve retainer--It works the best--forever and ever. J.Rob

This is what they look like and I also think they should be a temporary fix. They work great until the rubber deteriorates and they start leaking which seems to happen at the worst possible time.

My dads truck has had two in it for over 15 years, I think the problem now a days is the cheap *** rubber they are made out of.

Bought a couple of "singles"...reminds me when I used to buy my smokes like that :) and sold my daughter so I could afford the Loctite Green Sleeve retainer.

No green paint in the holes.

Wish me luck tomorrow.

ian

Where are you finding freeze plug kits for $15?

I looked everywhere for months including ebay and rockauto. $22 or $18 and shipping.

I have indeed had freezing water push out a plug before as well.

If anyone has a solution for the ones behind the motor mounts, I'm all ears (ha).
I'm currently building a press that bolts to the motor mount ears, so you don't have to pull the engine.

I just purchased this set from Summit, combined it with an order over 100 bucks, free shipping.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-381-8010/overview/make/dodge

Well the big came to start the engine...when we added the water, it started to pour out over the floor. With a quick inspection, we seem to have lost 2 frost plugs when it was stored outside last winter.

Did you find them in the yard?

If not maybe they never put them in.

What's the sleeve retainer for? You need some type of sealant on freeze plugs. Sleeve retainer is not sealant. It is a metal adhesive. Freeze plugs are held in by a press fit. They only need sealant. I like to use Permatex #2.

What's the sleeve retainer for? You need some type of sealant on freeze plugs. Sleeve retainer is not sealant. It is a metal adhesive. Freeze plugs are held in by a press fit. They only need sealant. I like to use Permatex #2.

Actually you should not need any sealant at all if the plug bores are in good condition. I used to use sealant till I had a couple of plugs blow out in a circle track application. Racers get angry when they have to get off the track due to scorched feet and over heated motor. 2 separate incidents and I started using Permatex Sleeve Retainer--That was over 10 years ago. Many many frost plugs and cam plugs later not one leak and not one blow out. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. J.Rob

Attachments

• frostplug.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 142
-
Back