Lower control arm pin/bushing install

-

coro500net

Reaction score
I’m losing my fn mind trying to press these in my lower control arms!!!
Bought a set of pro forged shafts with bushings already installed on shafts.
I supported the outer shell of the bushing and pressed the arm over it, it mangled the outer lip of the shell and I still haven’t got it seated!! What are you guys using to get these in???

Read thru the "sticky" at the top of this forum, for how that's done by lots of members.

Lca Pin.jpg

LCA Bushing Tool 001 (Small).JPG

LCA Bushing Tool 002 (Small).JPG

Removal is piece of cake if you have a welder! Install is a pita if you don’t have the correct adapters. Just looking for what you guys do to install bushing and pin together. Again this for lower control arm.
Didn't you get to figure it out from reading the "sticky" or looking at the pictures, that i helped you out with?
Nothing hard, difficult, at all in the installation of the bushing and the shaft together.
All you need is a piece of water pipe, fence pipe, the same diameter as the outer diameter of the bushing.
That's the "factory" tool.
Easy, peasy.
Don't have a piece of pipe, go buy a length, at the local hardware store, or plumbing shop.

Last edited:
Removal is piece of cake if you have a welder! Install is a pita if you don’t have the correct adapters. Just looking for what you guys do to install bushing and pin together. Again this for lower control arm.
What's so hard installing the bushing and shaft into the LCA, using a piece of pipe, and a hydraulic press, of any ton rating?
Piece of cake.

Bushing press install (Small).jpg

That IS the lower control arm in the pictures and link Jim posted. I think I'm beginning to see the problem.

That IS the lower control arm in the pictures and link Jim posted. I think I'm beginning to see the problem.
I watched video quite a few times,but you can’t see how Jim supports bushing. I know everyone is trying to help !!! There has to be a special tool that makes this easy?

Didn't you get to figure it out from reading the "sticky" or looking at the pictures, that i helped you out with?
Nothing hard, difficult, at all in the installation of the bushing and the shaft together.
All you need is a piece of water pipe, fence pipe, the same diameter as the outer diameter of the bushing.
That's the "factory" tool.
Easy, peasy.
Don't have a piece of pipe, go buy a length, at the local hardware store, or plumbing shop.
I will look into that.
Thanks!

Tell me, (us) how the hell you were trying to install the bushing and shaft, into the LCA, without a length of pipe, on a hydraulic press?

I just did this last night. I used a ball joint press works great. The only thing is make sure you put the pin in the bushing first. Because the ball joint press isn't long enough to seat the pin with the control arm attached. I made it work I use a wrench and a piece of scrap steel it worked but its easier with the pin already in the bushing.

20200512_203441.jpg

20200512_212111.jpg

20200512_213206.jpg

Been fighting with getting the pin in. Unfortunately bushing already in. Yeah the ball joint press is just a smidgen too short. Been rackin my brain trying to figure out a way. Need something that will slip between the shoulder of the pin and the press. Getting frustrated need a shop press but no money. Don't know anybody who has one either. I've got a bottle jack but need some kind of strong frame. Anybody got any ideas? Still have the other side to do and have to get to work on Tuesday. Wasn't expecting this to be such a PIA!!!

I used a pipe flange to hold the pin and then pressed the bushing onto it. You may need a washer or two with a smaller diameter than the outer since the inner is a bit recessed. Then I pressed the LCA onto the pin/bushing assembly. I’ve done four this way.

Thanks but my bushing is already in the lca. I think I may have a solution.. I'm going to try to use my engine crane as a frame and use my floor jack to push it in.. ill let you know if it works

Well that didn't work. But I did finally get it with a ball joint press and a 2lb mini maul. It's a little bit short but the press will just barely catch the shoulder of the pin. This is still not going to work. So I took a thick washer from a strut rod and first made the hole large enough to slide onto the pin all the way to the shoulder. Well you can't get the press on the pin and the lca with the washer on the pin. So I cut a v notch in the washer so I could wedge it between the press and the shoulder. Very tight fit and things weren't lined up. That's where I used mini maul to persuade it to do what I wanted. Then I was able to use my impact wrench to press it in. Would have been easy with a big enough shop press but I didn't know anyone that had one. It worked that's all I care about. Hope I never have to do it again. Maybe this will help somebody out there

-
Back