Member’s 1968 GT "personalization".

-
Practical over pretty is what I believe!

The dust!

IMG_0406.jpeg

My steady hand.

IMG_0408.jpeg

Number one.

IMG_0409.jpeg

The pattern for number two.

IMG_0410.jpeg

Blasted and in the paint booth.

IMG_0412.jpeg

Nice and black.

IMG_0414.jpeg

Slippery slope! I am in a similar place, started out with the wheels for the Ventura, then I decided that it was time to fix that pesky oil leak. After breaking 2 sneaky pete tools, and thinking there's a piece of one stuck in the space where the rope seal is supposed to go, the motor came out last night. Now I decided to replace the freeze plugs while I'm at it, and of course I now need a timing cover gasket set...........
At least the timing chain is still tight, but that complete 350 sitting under my bench is starting to look very tempting. And I still need tires for the new wheels........
Yeah.
Then I have to get the 68 Dart on the hoist and see where it's leaking oil from, and my brother is thinking about building a 408 for it, and my daily drivers are going to need some attention soon.
I think I need a drink!

LofuckingL

Slippery slope! I am in a similar place, started out with the wheels for the Ventura, then I decided that it was time to fix that pesky oil leak. After breaking 2 sneaky pete tools, and thinking there's a piece of one stuck in the space where the rope seal is supposed to go, the motor came out last night. Now I decided to replace the freeze plugs while I'm at it, and of course I now need a timing cover gasket set...........
At least the timing chain is still tight, but that complete 350 sitting under my bench is starting to look very tempting. And I still need tires for the new wheels........
Yeah.
Then I have to get the 68 Dart on the hoist and see where it's leaking oil from, and my brother is thinking about building a 408 for it, and my daily drivers are going to need some attention soon.
I think I need a drink!
It keeps getting better, now I need to replace the bearings too. That's what happens when you don't drive it often enough.
20240622_164011.jpg
20240622_164016.jpg

Done for the day. Bought some 50/50 because Randy did. Went to the daughters for supper with the grandkids. Came back home and decided to sit back and enjoy the evening.

image.jpg

Practical over pretty is what I believe!

The dust!

View attachment 1716266021

My steady hand.

View attachment 1716266022

Number one.

View attachment 1716266023

The pattern for number two.

View attachment 1716266024

Blasted and in the paint booth.

View attachment 1716266026

Nice and black.

View attachment 1716266027
Nice work.
You're probably going to hate me now, George.
I have a set of stiffening plates for the lower control arms in my truck that I could have given you.
No sway bar tabs though...

Oh now what fun would that be? Too easy and clean! But Thank you Tom.

You know I like fabricating. This morning I'm going to fab some sway bar tabs and then get this damn thing put back together!

It was supposed to just be a driver!!

Last edited:
Good enough for now. This thing needs off the hoist! If I find they flex, I’ll add another gusset. But I’m not autocrossing so they should be fine.

IMG_0424.jpeg

IMG_0425.jpeg

IMG_0423.jpeg

IMG_0428.jpeg

IMG_0429.jpeg

IMG_0432.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Dave.......this is all because of your offer that I ended up here! :)

I was adjusting the tie rods to close the toe in. I read in one of kerndog's post about the difference between drum and disc on these conversions. I got that sorted out but just realized my steering is only 1 1/2 turns lock to lock. It has a replacement arm on the steering box, but it could be the fast ratio box that was available on some cars. I gotta put the wheels on to see how close I am.

Last edited:
The new master is in. Jobber. Chinese. Aluminum. Wasn’t planned but I’ll take it.
Now sometimes it’s good to just do things your way without knowing all the tricks. I pulled the old master and was struggling to remove the push rod. Fortunately I didn’t research FABO for that tidbit of information sooner. I found out afterwards that removing the brake light switch allows you to use the pedal and just pop the rod free of the master. The piston pulls back against the C-clip and the rod pops out. IF there is a C-clip! That would have really pissed me off dumping the fluid out of the bore all over the fire wall and into the interior!

This was just going to be a disc brake upgrade...............

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to the wife and her patience, the brakes are bled. The joints are greased. Things are tight enough. Tomorrow is wheel alignment day!

Last edited:
Another awesome evening in my end of the day spot. Sorry to you Edmonton fans about the game. I’m still hoping for a share of that massive 50/50!

IMG_0456.jpeg

Done deal. Wheel alignment complete. I’ll take it home tonight and trim the steering bump stops until I am happy with the turning radius. The later LCAs had a larger knob for some reason. I’ll keep it to where it can’t rub rubber. Then I’m gonna have to clearance the rear wheels just a smidgen. They are only an 1/8” away from the lip!

Yup. Instantly straight to the side! Not quite as low as yours in the front Tom. Probably 1/4” higher. Pretty darn close though! Street Machine Weekend is now a go.

-
Back