Missed on this combo?

-
Well....

**** happens.

I can't recall but did you ever flow the BPE heads? I don't believe you did.

Do you mind posting the numbers? If you don't want to or Rod asked you not to while he figures out what is going on. I understand. I just am curious where, when and how it is making power.

Were the heads the only change? Or was there a cam change as well? I can't recall that either.

I'm dying to ask all kinds of question drawing my own dyno sheet out of it.......but i will leave it alone and only say......
There is NO Customer service any more............But Mr Bloomer sure is giving it a good try. GOOD ON HIM!!!!!
I thought it would make better ### all the way thru the curve.
See how much i know!:D
Don't give up on this, be patient.

WOW!!!!!!

I'm sorry this has been such a ride for you. I figured between the rocker ratio being off and the better short turn on the Bloomer heads you'd knock it out of the park.

I've never met Brett Miller, but I've talked to him. His work is impeccable. His stuff works. So I'm stumped. I think Bloomer is a stand up guy and I'd bet him and Millar are almost as flummoxed as you.

What a major bummer.

BTW, if you get a chance to talk to Bret take advantage of it. He's a sharp, honest guy. Maybe you can get it sorted out.

Thanks for the update.

I say believe Rod until he proves the need to do otherwise. R&D is never cheap, and there's always guinea pigs, even on on well developed stuff. Let the man work...

No cam change. No anything changed. It made the most power at 6300 RPM. Best torque at 4900, an it wasn't much.

Did not flow these heads....man I just didn't think I needed to. They might even flow as advertised, but somethings very wrong. The dude that called me mentioned he'd love to run a velocity probe around in there.

I can't tell you guys how friggin disappointed I am. AGAIN. $2200 Beans and here I sit. I wish I would have just been happy with the 560HP that I made with the Eddy's. 2200 bucks richer with a decent little stroker, ready to drop in anytime.

Appreciate all the support, though! I really thought this was gonna end with a nice dyno sheet and a new option for heads for us guys.

Right now I'm going to have faith in him that he will fix this, one way or the other.

No cam change. No anything changed. It made the most power at 6300 RPM. Best torque at 4900, an it wasn't much.

Did not flow these heads....man I just didn't think I needed to. They might even flow as advertised, but somethings very wrong. The dude that called me mentioned he'd love to run a velocity probe around in there.

I can't tell you guys how friggin disappointed I am. AGAIN. $2200 Beans and here I sit. I wish I would have just been happy with the 560HP that I made with the Eddy's. 2200 bucks richer with a decent little stroker, ready to drop in anytime.

Appreciate all the support, though! I really thought this was gonna end with a nice dyno sheet and a new option for heads for us guys.

Right now I'm going to have faith in him that he will fix this, one way or the other.

No numbers Mike?

I'd like to see the air speed too. And see how well it flows backwards.

My dyno guy has some thoughts on air speed. He muttered things I don't understand, like "approach to seat is horrible" and "blown out venturi".
Just his thoughts......

One other thing I forgot was NEVER be the first. My buddy Rick bought the FIRST Ritter block. You'd think I'd have learned.

Well, for clarity, please re-cap ALL of the things different on this run besides the heads, & Thx again for going through this for everyone's education!!! These are the types of
things that result in eventual improvements for the hobby/sport in general.............

Edit; OK, that was odd, clicked on the last page, but took Me to page B4 this.......
alright then the only change was the port-match on the intake correct?

Last edited:
One difference, I mean the ONLY difference was I had true 1.6 rockers on the BPE heads. Believe me, it was a head change only. To recap , the crappy Edelbrock heads made 560 HP. I wasn't happy with that, so I spent over 2 grand on a new head that nobody has tried, and made waaay less horsepower and torque.

Ok just talking out loud or maybe talking out may A!@#$@# but i would be wanting the heads back just as they came of the dyno to see where the problem is.
It could be as simple as a valve change or reshaping of it. It could be a Million other things as well:rolleyes:

Ok just talking out loud or maybe talking out may A!@#$@# but i would be wanting the heads back just as they came of the dyno to see where the problem is.
It could be as simple as a valve change or reshaping of it. It could be a Million other things as well:rolleyes:

It's damn hard to shrink a port. And from what I've seen, both the Bloomer ports and the Hughes ports are maxed out on cross section without a bunch of welding and using an offset rocker.

agreed, but you and i both know a valve job can make or break a port.
He got a bare casting and installed his parts from the EDDY head. That valve my.....or my not be causing a problem with the seat design. I'm absolutely guessing here.....but that's where my mind is going.
Yes i hear what you're saying on port CSA and the pinch.

ironmike, you didn't happen to get cranking psi on the motor did you?
did you verify icl and lift and valve events on assembly?

It's damn hard to shrink a port. And from what I've seen, both the Bloomer ports and the Hughes ports are maxed out on cross section without a bunch of welding and using an offset rocker.
Funny thing, the Bloomer intake port opening is actually much bigger than the Hughes Eddy's. Wider and much taller. Surprising...

You could probably bend the BPE port divider with your thumb if ya tried. They're real thin on my Iron Indy'S, too. No prob with them, at least.

Last edited:
agreed, but you and i both know a valve job can make or break a port.
He got a bare casting and installed his parts from the EDDY head. That valve my.....or my not be causing a problem with the seat design. I'm absolutely guessing here.....but that's where my mind is going.
Yes i hear what you're saying on port CSA and the pinch.
Thought about this myself, but verified good valve seal with machinist layout and the old quarter turn trick. Didn't even need a slight lap. But I wonder about the angles.

I would not have been surprised if it had made similar power... but I didn't think it would be down a bunch.

I was getting a small block built late last year and really looked hard a putting these heads on a stroker bottom end, I made a post here and asked on Moparts about these heads ... in the end I figured it would be best to wait this one out and let someone else go first... so I built a stock stroke 340 which we put on the Dyno just after Christmas.

**the rest of this post is conspiracy/ speculation **

Now I have to admit that I found it strange that BPE built an engine a few months ago and never could get the Dyno working... I mentioned it in yesterday's post... I wonder if they didn't get bad results at the time and figured it may just be a bad combo and not a problem with the heads, so instead of publishing the numbers they figured they should sell a few sets and see if others would have better luck..... just thinking out loud here and I have no proof or ill will to anyone involved. But again I found that Dyno story strange....

I was getting a small block built late last year and really looked hard a putting these heads on a stroker bottom end, I made a post here and asked on Moparts about these heads ... in the end I figured it would be best to wait this one out and let someone else go first... so I built a stock stroke 340 which we put on the Dyno just after Christmas.

**the rest of this post is conspiracy/ speculation **

Now I have to admit that I found it strange that BPE built an engine a few months ago and never could get the Dyno working... I mentioned it in yesterday's post... I wonder if they didn't get bad results at the time and figured it may just be a bad combo and not a problem with the heads, so instead of publishing the numbers they figured they should sell a few sets and see if others would have better luck..... just thinking out loud here and I have no proof or ill will to anyone involved. But again I found that Dyno story strange....

I don't think/hope Rod Bloomer is that kind of a guy to do something that dirty. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I don't think/hope Rod Bloomer is that kind of a guy to do something that dirty. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
Absolutely positively second that. Rod Bloomer would be out of business sooo fast and forever. And B. Miller sure wouldn't give his name and risk his reputation when this was a gamble... Just my 2 cents...

Hughes big mouth head made 560
The BPE head made less. 540ish just speculation
Your older iron headed stroker made what I can't remember
I know the rhs headed engine is a different combo but it isn't that much different is it ?? Same dyno ??
Hate to see all the trouble your dealing with has to be very discouraging

-
Back