My build.....AR build anyways.

-
Agreed, the M&P15 (for instance) has stellar reviews, it is extremely durable, very good accuracy point, so for the money, I see it as a win/win. Not everyone has thousands of dollars to toss out on an expensive rifle.

I bought one to test out and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Functions flawlessly, accurate out to 200yds easily.
The M&P is a decent carbine. S&W is a big name and they have some pretty good processes in place. The only issue I take with the M&P carbines is that I often see parts built in a 'cheaper' way than the std gov part. The thing they've gotten right is that their guns are still compatible with the gov style parts in most cases.

. Much depends on the barrel length and velocity achieved. I've seen tracer keyhole out of a 1/9. I've also seen "1/9" barrels actually measure to closer to 1/10.5, 1/12 depending on the mfg. It's not easy to measure and plenty of smaller shops do it wrong - back to the "buy reputable" line. The problem for a beginner is how to determine who you can trust.
Sometimes 1/9 is better for an intended application, but 1/7 is less likely to ever have an issue and will just be easier for the beginner.

thats the reason we went to the 1:7 in the first place.. Our 62gr green tip (and it's new replacement) is more accurate ran 1:9. However the heavier and slower tracers tumble when pushed out of a 1:9. The 1:7 was adopted for this reason, despite a reduction in accuracy.

thats the reason we went to the 1:7 in the first place.. Our 62gr green tip (and it's new replacement) is more accurate ran 1:9. However the heavier and slower tracers tumble when pushed out of a 1:9. The 1:7 was adopted for this reason, despite a reduction in accuracy.

Yup. But any bullet that's longer or has a forward biased cg can benefit. Like M855 and the new M855A1. Doesn't mean 1/7 is best for the 62gr stuff, but by the numbers it should work as well as 1/8 while 1/9 could give an issue depending on the actual tolerance of the parts involved. There will be the odd barrel that is closer to 1/9.5 or 1/10 but still stamped 1/9. Or cold weather or an ammo lot that's on the lower side of velocity. In those cases, there may be stabilization issues (but not always). Over-stabilization isn't a big issue until drop rate picks up, and that tends to happen beyond 400 meters. So over spinning a round isn't a big concern unless you're after ever last bit of mechanical accuracy.

One of the reasons the 62gr stuff is more accurate in a 1/9, when it's stable, is that the reduced spin rate makes less of an issue out of the binary nature of the projectile. When the steel core is misaligned to the rest of the projectile, it tends to wander in a circle rather than flying 'true'. The M855A1 put a lot of emphasis on reducing dispersion as a result of the manufacturing tolerances. Last I heard, however, it wasn't a massive improvement, but an incremental one. But that was in the really early days when the IC was still a thing.

This is why I tend to recommend 1/7 because "it just works" for most casual cases. It works for tracer, it works for 855, it works for 193, and it works with 77gr SMK too. If all you'll ever shoot is 55gr then 1/9 is great. But I'm a bad predictor of my own future behavior and newbies tend to want to try it all to see what they like. So I prefer 1/7. YMMV.

Despite what you read online, the new M855A1 was not designed to be lead free and environmentally friendly. It is more accurate, and much more lethal at all ranges.

It always makes me smile when I see it labeled the "eco-friendly" bullet, because it does in fact make the grass grow :)

Despite what you read online, the new M855A1 was not designed to be lead free and environmentally friendly. It is more accurate, and much more lethal at all ranges.

It always makes me smile when I see it labeled the "eco-friendly" bullet, because it does in fact make the grass grow :)

But it makes for a better memo to the press pool ;) the fact that it's 'green tip' just makes it easier for the bloggers to buy into it.

also if you are looking for an upper for home defense, against elephants, this one shoots lethal high velocity golf balls, just an option to keep in mind..

Rock River Arms: .458 SOCOM Beast Upper Half

haha. 45/70 ballistics in a semi auto.. and as much ammo capacity as a single stack .45.

If I were to venture beyond 5.56 for home defense, I'd stick with 300blk and go with subsonic rounds. Low recoil, slightly less noise to keep your hearing intact. Adrenaline doesn't always attenuate those 170dB muzzle blasts..

also I always point this out to anyone that will listen..

get one of these while they are still available, they won't last forever. They say sold out, but they become available now and again as they are recovered.

M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program

you can have it mailed directly to this guy for a re-park and Mini-G conversion. I love mine and nothing puts a smile on your face like that enbloc clip "ping"

Shuff's Parkerizing and Military Restorations

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail your thread, but if you are going to build your own AR15, and go down the rabbit hole, then you have to get used to the gun weirdos early on..

good luck with the build and don't shoot your eye out!!

If I were to venture beyond 5.56 for home defense, I'd stick with 300blk and go with subsonic rounds. Low recoil, slightly less noise to keep your hearing intact...

funny you say that, because an open 12.5" AAC stuffed with 220gr is what tucks me in at night

funny you say that, because an open 12.5" AAC stuffed with 220gr is what tucks me in at night

I lost all mine in a boating accident
emoticon_ShiftyEyes.gif
emoticon_ShiftyEyes.gif
emoticon_ShiftyEyes.gif

But it makes for a better memo to the press pool ;) the fact that it's 'green tip' just makes it easier for the bloggers to buy into it.

I worked closely with the guys that developed the round, and they got a kick out of the fact the anti-gunners mainly honed in on the fact it was "lead-less" and its greatly improved lethality was marginalized. from green tip to "green" tip. It's the little victories :)

Well I finally got the pin in place. The rest of the rifle went together without s problem and I threw a magpul site and stock on it. The gun is finished up but I didn't get a change to get a round through it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

nice. I've decided im building a 3rd......

-
Back