My build.....AR build anyways.

-
Oh that's right same bolt face. So just a barrel switch? Who's making those barrels

Sorry also is the barrel pinned or threaded.

I used a Remington take off from a 243 and threaded it for the SKS. You could do it on a pinned version too. I had a PPC reamer.

Way to hijack the thread there boys:)

Tonight I'll assemble the lower kit and post pictures for all the other first timers.

Looking forward to the pictures and will be anxious to see the completed unit. Will also be interested to see if you put optics on it and the selection there.

Looking forward to the pictures and will be anxious to see the completed unit. Will also be interested to see if you put optics on it and the selection there.

Optics will go on it. Right now in split between a short range scope with chambered sites and a eotech site. I have my eye on a bravo handguard similar to this but with a quad rail on the end.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 114
Optics will go on it. Right now in split between a short range scope with chambered sites and a eotech site. I have my eye on a bravo handguard similar to this but with a quad rail on the end.

Haven't heard about EOtech? Won't hold a zero in changing temperature conditions. Aimpoint or trijicon with a slight lead given to aimpoint for not making false claims (the MRO is not a true 1x and does have parallax at close ranges). It's so bad, they're actually refunding anyone who's ever bought one.

The BCM KMR is tough to beat, but if you want a free float quad rail there's really nothing with a comparable mounting method. They've all got issues that the KMR resolved.

I am a fan of the 'bootleg' rail though - they're licensing the BCM mounting method and it gives a short section of rail on the front end without making the handguard stupidly huge or sharp. I've got one and can say it's done pretty well. Pretty clever system.

hg1-560x280.jpg

Great info!

I was handling a rifle with the stock I was referring to yesterday. It was fairly narrow and had a sand paper like texture where you would hold it. The guy was pushing the squid grip on me bad but I just didn't see the appeal.

Great info!

I was handling a rifle with the stock I was referring to yesterday. It was fairly narrow and had a sand paper like texture where you would hold it. The guy was pushing the squid grip on me bad but I just didn't see the appeal.

Yeah, everyone has their pet parts and suppliers. Go with what works and doesn't break the bank. I'm partial to VLTOR and BCM and aimpoint - mostly because I've seen some of the best customer service and fewest issues with the parts. I also tend to avoid anything that is built simply for the appearance.. but that's just me ;)

I was joking. Discuss all you want! I'll post pictures as I go but until then feel free to teach us amateurs.

Im learning as we go as well. This has always been in the back of my mind as well. Its not hard to convince the wife to want to build one. She carried a M16 with a M203. She is all for building something to have fun with.

Whats even better is we are heading to a gun show tomorrow and its suppose to be one of the better ones in the state. There will be a lot of vendors there to chat with about doing this same thing.

Im learning as we go as well. This has always been in the back of my mind as well. Its not hard to convince the wife to want to build one. She carried a M16 with a M203. She is all for building something to have fun with.

Whats even better is we are heading to a gun show tomorrow and its suppose to be one of the better ones in the state. There will be a lot of vendors there to chat with about doing this same thing.

It's supposedly the cheaper route to go. I didn't do it for the money but right now I have about 200 wrapped up in the lower and lower parts kit which includes the trigger.

Ther were lowers there as cheap as 70 bucks and you can find them for much lower.

I wanted to build a good rifle without breaking the bank so I plan on ordering my parts from manufactures I know but still not buy the top of the line stuff.

It really depends on the suppliers and where you live. Some guys around here buy in bulk and build for fun really and then sell rifles for under $600. Nothing fancy of course. You can get pretty deep into them depending on what features you want and quality of barrel.

It's supposedly the cheaper route to go. I didn't do it for the money but right now I have about 200 wrapped up in the lower and lower parts kit which includes the trigger.

Ther were lowers there as cheap as 70 bucks and you can find them for much lower.

I wanted to build a good rifle without breaking the bank so I plan on ordering my parts from manufactures I know but still not buy the top of the line stuff.

manufacturers (of guns) have to pay an excise tax on any assembled firearm sold, it's in excess of 10% - so building it yourself saves you that right off the top.

Cheap parts are a gamble: go with known/trusted names when it comes to cheap. Aero Precision, PSA (Palmetto state) and Anderson arms come to mind. Don't expect a $40 lower to be perfect - but all three of those companies have okay-ish track records when it comes to customer service. No-name shills at a gun show peddling $50 lowers won't do anything for you when you find out your buffer tube is crooked, or your fire control pin holes are out of spec.

The three things that shouldn't be skimped on are barrels, carrier groups, and the fire-control group (trigger, hammer, et. al.). Buy a reasonable parts kit ($100 or more, typically), a good carrier (they're really as simple as they look, quality especially matters here), and a barrel from a reputable supplier. PSA makes some OK stuff that's very cheap (relatively), but it's hit and miss. Some are good, some aren't. If you're building a plinker they're usually just fine. If you're building a hunting weapon or something that will be used as home defense or any 'duty' roll, I'd buy-up.

~$200 into an assembled lower isn't bad. That's on the 'budget friendly' side of things for sure.

In reference to the 80% lowers, I am a fan. The gov is way too interested in who owns what. BTW you can get 80% lowers, uppers, 1911s etc.

The gov will always try to overstep when it comes to 2nd amendment. Period.

I have been told that too. It will be interesting to see what you come in at, just a basic functioning rifle, not including any accessories.

You still have a ways to go, and you are already almost a third in cost to what I spent on a OOTB ready to shoot rifle.

I don't blame you for wanting to put one together but dam this seems cheap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-11-18-57-53_2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 98
That seems like a good deal. I have handled some cheap guns though and even though they are supposedly made in the same place I can feel a difference between a 50 dollar lower and a 150 dollar lower.

I can too ( in my pocket) lol. I fully understand the whole AR customization thing, to each his own I say. As for me I never saw an AR platform as anything other than a decent utility rifle so if I were looking to save I'd buy cheap. If I were looking to customize I'd buy the very best quality that there is even if it had to be one part every 6 months. Either way it's a fun and personal learning experience.

I will say this do not skimp on your barrels. Buy the best and here is as fool proof a way that I know. Look up top level High Power shooting. See who is winning and look at the equipment list. You'll notice what brand is currently at the top. This doesn't have as much to do with the barrel maker as it does the lot of steel they purchased at the time. Some lots are just better than others. This is one reason there are several makers at the top of the list year after year.

-
Back