Need advise on body work.

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to repair the rear drivers side roof line by the back window channel on my 72 Dart. I know AMD carries replacement window channel for the corner. I am trying to figure out the best way to fix the rest and maintain the same roof line. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2011-12-31_16-13-00_298.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 213
You can't "Fix" rust. You can only remove it and replace it with good metal.

That is your only option here.

Cut

Bend

Shape

Weld

Body filler

yes cut out the rott and weld in some none diseased steel treat it with ecoat and do your filler work ecoat over the filler work and prime it block your primer with 120 or 180 check for any imperfections (pin holes, scratches ect) apply polyester glaze block that , ecoat again and reprime. then wetsand with 320 400 or 500 to prep for paint seal it and paint it

Off topic, but are you from around the southeast side? I've seen one just like yours on brookville rd several times.

Yeah cut the rott out like what was said above, to make that look right and use way less bondo you'll have to make it in 2 patches to keep your seam looking right!
Have fun with it and take your time,I love banging metal!!

Attachments

• IMG00006-20110223-2002.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG00007-20110223-2011 00000.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 176
Make patches to replace rotted metal weld it in fill it to match. This coming from a first time metal work virgin. Before and after shots by a non experianced welder/fabricator/bodyman.

Attachments

• metal work-white topper 001.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 181
  • metal work-white topper 002.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 175
  • charger metal work 004.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 169
  • metal work-white topper 004.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 170
Thanks for the advise everyone. I knew that I was going to have to cut the rotted metal out. I figured that I would probably need to patch in some smaller pieces.Just worried about getting the transistion to the roof line correct with the new metal.

Twist,I'm on the southwest side near Camby off of 67 & s. high school rd. I bought this Dart in Columbus ,Oh. probably 5 years ago. It has been burried in the garage for 2 years up until about a month ago. I've been stripping several coats of crappy paint off of it and removed all of the glue from the old vinyl top. Patched the pass side quarter and replaced the trunk extension several years ago. Replaced the drivers side trunk extension and have the drivers rear quarter off with the new metal ready to weld on. The roof line I have pictured should be the last major piece of work to accomplish.

I just did one . I cut one out of a doner car and my son butt welded it in with a tig welder . No filler needed. Steve

I agree. A donor car would be the easiest. Should be able to get someone on here to cut that corner out of a parts car for you.

-
Back