need help with leaky trans pan

-
Well I cleaned up around it and did not see any leaks around he dip stick of the speedo cable. When I get back from school tomorrow I will check again. It is leaking from the B&M shifter bracket. It is leaking from the bolt heads on the shifter .It is also leaking from the lip of the pan on the pass side front and pass side side.

Transmission fluid will always for at the lowest point(pan and pan bolts).Your leak is on of the others mentioned.
after you clean it dust some baby power or equivalent and let it sit.It will leave a line in the powder.
Shifter linkage,reverse band anchor pin, safety neutral switch or dip stick tube(check for cracks around tubing) and bell housing.

GOOD LUCK

Here's a tip if you decide to keep trying to fix this. When changing out some of the other seals, I was able to siphon the tranny fluid out through the dip stick and into a clean jug. Saves you the hassle and mess of dropping the pan and you can reuse the fluid.

Here's a tip if you decide to keep trying to fix this. When changing out some of the other seals, I was able to siphon the tranny fluid out through the dip stick and into a clean jug. Saves you the hassle and mess of dropping the pan and you can reuse the fluid.

I bought a pan with a drain plug

If it's leaking between the trans and pan thens it's;
A) The gasket is shot. The reuseable one from Mopar is $19.00.
B) The gasket surface on the trans is not flat. Not likely.
C) The corner of the pan is bent. Check with a straight edge and bend it back.

Did you flatten the pan rail on the pan before you installed the pan?You said a drain plug is installed in you pan did you check that?
If you have done all the above you ether have a cracked pan or cracked case.
Your next stop would be a transmission shop to have them find your leak.

Did you flatten the pan rail on the pan before you installed the pan?You said a drain plug is installed in you pan did you check that?
If you have done all the above you ether have a cracked pan or cracked case.
Your next stop would be a transmission shop to have them find your leak.

Drain plug is good pan is new and edge is stright gasket is new and good bottom of tranny is smooth

Then look for the leak elsewhere. Shift selector shaft seal, speedometer cable adaptor O-ring, dipstick tube O-ring, Neutral Safety/reverse lamp switch, front seal, rear seal, fluid line connections.

As the keeper of the car its your duty to not give up and find the solution to this problem. You have the opportunity to keep that car for your entire lifetime if you take good care of it. Mopar lovers dont give up like that, you must be young you keep refering to school so heres the thing if you love your Mopar take care of her and she will take care or you if not go drive a ford or chevy and just let them rot to the ground and go get another one. GL I hope you keep trying and let us know what it was if you could.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Then look for the leak elsewhere. Shift selector shaft seal, speedometer cable adaptor O-ring, dipstick tube O-ring, Neutral Safety/reverse lamp switch, front seal, rear seal, fluid line connections.

I have checked everything I cleaned the tranny and bell housing with a wire brush and brake cleaner there is not dirt of grease anywhere so you would see a leak if there was one. I also use the baby powder idea. There is not leak that I see.

I can see tranny fluid leaking from the lip of the pan and as well as the bolt all the way around the pan.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

It has to be a pan that is not true. Put a strait edge on the pan and also on the transmission. It may look straight, but .... I went through this same crap on my 318 valve cover gaskets. I finally strait edged the head and found I could slide a penny under the edge.

You Guys are great! I have the same problem, I bought my 74 dart- 2 and 1/2 years ago. It came with leak (a904) that looked like a bad pan gasket. I put every kind of gasket on there; cheap rubber one from kragen, cork ones, hand cut my own extra think cork one, Mopar high tech one that was plastic with built in ruber rings I bought a new pan, After taking in on and off so many times the bolts got loose so I went with drilling lager ones, Then heili coils. Thats when I noticed hairline cracks from the bolt holes to the edge of the tranny in two spots. Did I make those? Not sure but they leak. I could have that problem where the leak is comming from the top somewhere and collects on the pan/tranny case meeting point. But now I have cracks at the bolts and maybe a leak up above. I spend about $10 bucks a month on tranny fluid and mix it in with Summits stop slip as it is thick and leaks slower. So I understand the kid throwing in the towel. It is very hard to keep putting you car up on jack stands week after week thinking no way it will leak after this but then it does. The great thing about this is- Ma built a great tranny that will run almost two quarts down! Now please help answer my new thread about a904 swap from slant 6 to a 318 do I need anything to make this work?

Good call on the use of the A-500 (et seq.) pan and retainers , plus the new , reusable gasket .
I've always wondered about just that conversion . I see those new-style filtre / gasket kits at work all of the time . I recognise that the new-style filtre won't work --but it looks damned close-- , but that gasket looks bitchin' !

This one's been idle for awhile but I'm bringing it back up. I'm having the same problem. However, I have yet to get a chance to check all of the afore mentioned common leak areas. I'll get to that soon but wanted to bring up another possibility... a buddy of mine told me he's seen the same problem from a bad seal behind the torque converter that allows the torque converter to leak back into the pan making the fluid level in the pan too high.

Has anyone else seen this? Exactly what seal would this be?

Has the OP fixed the problem?

-
Back