Need some advice on parting out

-

Asktoro

Reaction score
I'm basically going to try to see what kind of price ranges you guys think or would pay for the stuff. I don't know where else to put this kind of inquiry and I'd like to see how much interest is out there.. It's a lot easier to ship *most* parts than it is a whole car, also a lot easier to sell parts... I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of parting it out because its more time/trouble.

*Centerline p295/50r15 (rear) 165r15 (front)
*Hooker super comp headers painted w/ maximum flow exhaust/cat back kit
*Hayden trans cooler+fan - radiator fan as well
*Carb Holley 4781 with metering plates 8543 / 9108
*K&N x-stream top/bottom
*Griffin aluminum radiator
*Summit rad overflow catch can
*Summit steel fuel gauge on carb and braided lines/hoses
*Sports comp auto meter -- volts, trans temp, fuel, water temp, amps (these are 2" or 3") and one is a RPM "monster" version that you can program, comes with shift light.

*Jaz hard plastic seats with covers
*Simpson harness SFI cert'd 16.1 spec 2004 (so they're old, idk if they would still pass inspection)
*B&M TF 727 trans, line lock and shifter
*383 block made in 1964 all compoments/heads assumed to be stock except pistons
*Intake manifold looks like a mopar super victor cant find PN
*painless wiring drag racing circuit 8 buttons+wiring etc

* lots of other mopar store parts, a hurst part going to the brake booster idk what it's for, MSD ignition set up, plastic fuel cell, front discs, drum rear, axel, drive line, glass front end (poorly made looks like it needs reworked and re-aligned) 68 dart/cuda hemi scoop, the original dash to the car in GOOD condition, missing trim but has vin still attached. It has adjustable air shocks in front and rear speciality for drag racing I forgot the brand, might've been moroso? I know there's some other moroso parts too. And now finally, the shell -- sub frame connectors, custom front end/engine craddle/k member welded to and a 10 point cage (i thought it was 6) glass is good, doors are good, body is good and solid, has 1 pin holes in passenger floor pan from rock hitting or something, rear bumper is mangled but has bumperettes in good condition, rear valiance is mangled, deck lid is mangled/mutilated.

I got offered 4k for all the parts... minus the shell :mumum::wack:

So... advice/opinions? Despite the 4k offer I know I could get a lot more than that..... i still can't believe you guys think my car's over-priced and only worth like 5k? (as per that one guy saying...)

I'm basically going to try to see what kind of price ranges you guys think or would pay for the stuff. I don't know where else to put this kind of inquiry and I'd like to see how much interest is out there.. It's a lot easier to ship *most* parts than it is a whole car, also a lot easier to sell parts... I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of parting it out because its more time/trouble.

*Centerline p295/50r15 (rear) 165r15 (front)
*Hooker super comp headers painted w/ maximum flow exhaust/cat back kit
*Hayden trans cooler+fan - radiator fan as well
*Carb Holley 4781 with metering plates 8543 / 9108
*K&N x-stream top/bottom
*Griffin aluminum radiator
*Summit rad overflow catch can
*Summit steel fuel gauge on carb and braided lines/hoses
*Sports comp auto meter -- volts, trans temp, fuel, water temp, amps (these are 2" or 3") and one is a RPM "monster" version that you can program, comes with shift light.

*Jaz hard plastic seats with covers
*Simpson harness SFI cert'd 16.1 spec 2004 (so they're old, idk if they would still pass inspection)
*B&M TF 727 trans, line lock and shifter
*383 block made in 1964 all compoments/heads assumed to be stock except pistons
*Intake manifold looks like a mopar super victor cant find PN
*painless wiring drag racing circuit 8 buttons+wiring etc

* lots of other mopar store parts, a hurst part going to the brake booster idk what it's for, MSD ignition set up, plastic fuel cell, front discs, drum rear, axel, drive line, glass front end (poorly made looks like it needs reworked and re-aligned) 68 dart/cuda hemi scoop, the original dash to the car in GOOD condition, missing trim but has vin still attached. It has adjustable air shocks in front and rear speciality for drag racing I forgot the brand, might've been moroso? I know there's some other moroso parts too. And now finally, the shell -- sub frame connectors, custom front end/engine craddle/k member welded to and a 10 point cage (i thought it was 6) glass is good, doors are good, body is good and solid, has 1 pin holes in passenger floor pan from rock hitting or something, rear bumper is mangled but has bumperettes in good condition, rear valiance is mangled, deck lid is mangled/mutilated.

I got offered 4k for all the parts... minus the shell :mumum::wack:

So... advice/opinions? Despite the 4k offer I know I could get a lot more than that..... i still can't believe you guys think my car's over-priced and only worth like 5k? (as per that one guy saying...)

Everything sells based off what the market will bear now. It is a buyers market. There are many people that have had to put the toys on the back burner or even sell the toys to survive. There are still some people that have money and will spend it but you have got to find them.

Yes, but what are the prices like? How much should I slash the prices by from their original retail price based on age, use and wear? I don't even know how much a solid 383 built in 64 with 95% stock parts sells for, the only thing is the pistons arent stock i dont know what they are but i know its been rebuilt with mopar rebuild parts and arp bolts.. The moment I remove EVEN a single thing from my car, I have to follow through stripping it down to just the shell. It's a pain to think about given its in storage lock up and I can't use my girlfriends garage for awhile.

Yes, but what are the prices like? How much should I slash the prices by from their original retail price based on age, use and wear? I don't even know how much a solid 383 built in 64 with 95% stock parts sells for, the only thing is the pistons arent stock i dont know what they are but i know its been rebuilt with mopar rebuild parts and arp bolts.. The moment I remove EVEN a single thing from my car, I have to follow through stripping it down to just the shell. It's a pain to think about given its in storage lock up and I can't use my girlfriends garage for awhile.

Have you tried the complete car on eBay? Around here a 1964 383 engine is just what you can get out of it because there isn't many people interested in the 1964 cars that would have been big blocks. Generally a 340 will well over double a 383 in price.

...I've half a mind to try ebay at this point. I'm losing patience. I got this up in diff towns in craigslist, its on racing junk, its on here... every morning I poke around CL to see if anyone wants to trade for it. Lots of things in my life changed direction so ... I need to pull out of the hobby for awhile... need to either sell it or trade it for something I -could- easily trade to a dealership for a family vehicle. Most folks don't want something they can't drive on street but it doesnt dismiss the value of parts invested in the car.

...I've half a mind to try ebay at this point. I'm losing patience. I got this up in diff towns in craigslist, its on racing junk, its on here... every morning I poke around CL to see if anyone wants to trade for it. Lots of things in my life changed direction so ... I need to pull out of the hobby for awhile... need to either sell it or trade it for something I -could- easily trade to a dealership for a family vehicle. Most folks don't want something they can't drive on street but it doesnt dismiss the value of parts invested in the car.

Why don't you just trade it for a family vehicle to start with. That would be far more likely to happen. Montana probally isn't the best place to have a car like this for sale.

Been trying. :p no luck. I want a Dodge caliber SXT.... seen plenty of em for 5k-7k... but people who did want my car either owe money on it or their wife has them by the balls.

When you say, "minus the shell," what does that mean? Are they leaving you the complete, rolling chassis, or do they expect the front suspension and brakes, and the rear end, too?

Honestly, most of the parts you list are worth about 20-100 bucks each, except the radiator, which is probably the most valuable part on the car.

The harnesses will not pass tech.

There are too many variables and questions about the car to get what you think it's worth, and parting it out for what you want to get is going to be even harder. You live in the middle of nowhere, trust me, I know. You may be able to sell a few parts off of it right away, but seeling all of the parts will be a challenge.

Your best bet is to sell the car whole, and for a price people are willing to spend on an unknown commodity.

The two main things you need in order to sell a car right now are a realistic price, and patience. If you have less of number two, the lower number one needs to be.

You change your mind about 15 times a day. No one will want to do business with someone that's a continually moving target. You bit off more than you can chew. The car is not gold plated. It's a $5000 car in a small market. If you were closer to most of the members, you would have an easier time selling it. Unfortunately, you're in Missoula, selling it during the wrong time of year, and appear desperate.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you asked for advice. It's just some tough love.

Been trying. :p no luck. I want a Dodge caliber SXT.... seen plenty of em for 5k-7k... but people who did want my car either owe money on it or their wife has them by the balls.

You are getting too specific on what you want to trade for. You are not in the drivers seat here and have to find someone that is sitting on an a car that they have extra to trade. People already have a reason they are selling their car when they advertise it so approaching everyone trying to trade will waste a lot of time. Post your car to trade on a realible family car with the basic things you need and see what comes out. I have a 2001 Malibu LS Gold Edition (needless to say fully loaded) and I wouldn't trade it for your car because I have no use for a car like yours. Bring on an unmolested 1968 V8 Barracuda that is a good candidate for restoration and I will do some trading.

Tom, what is it you know that I dont that makes these parts so worthless? Seriously... I've googled/ebay'd the PN and models..... A lot of the parts get more than what you're suggesting.

If you have a 4K offer for the parts what are they leaving. Can it make another 1K and just buy a 5k Dodge caliber SXT?

He wanted pretty much EVERYTHING, even the rear axle. While I'm stressed, frustrated, desperate -- what I am more so is stubborn. I am not going to budge below 7,500. I don't get how Tom can think the a $200 buck radiator is worth more than a holley double pumper or even victor intake manifold. You guys have your opinions and I have mine. Worst comes to worst I'm going to gut it and part it out. If I get less than 5k, so be it, if I can't sell all the parts, so be it. I may just set aside the racing parts and possibly trade/reconfig it just enough so its street legal, it will probably retain a lot of it's go-fast parts.

Edit: I can't do this right now though.

He wanted pretty much EVERYTHING, even the rear axle. While I'm stressed, frustrated, desperate -- what I am more so is stubborn. I am not going to budge below 7,500. I don't get how Tom can think the a $200 buck radiator is worth more than a holley double pumper or even victor intake manifold. You guys have your opinions and I have mine. Worst comes to worst I'm going to gut it and part it out. If I get less than 5k, so be it, if I can't sell all the parts, so be it. I may just set aside the racing parts and possibly trade/reconfig it just enough so its street legal, it will probably retain a lot of it's go-fast parts.

Edit: I can't do this right now though.

Advertise it as a trade item and see what shows up. Forget about what anyone thinks your parts are worth. It doesn't put cash on the table. eBay is generally the best place for estimating prices but it is an auction and it varies. The closer you get toward Christmas the more prices will fall.

Well... thanks for the advice, it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for -- was hoping more for "oh i see you got x, I'd be interested in that" a couple of those posts..... or someone giving me a rough idea of how much most of the stuff would sell for or how much interest. Suppose it was a stupid post, I was thinking about making this post for awhile but was reluctant as I didn't feel it'd get the responses or info I was looking for, but thanks anyways. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing... leave the ads up, try for trades on craigslist...by the time I get to use my girlfriend's garage space and summer swings around... definitely gonna tear into it, either get it street legal or just completely hock everything and sell the roller for 2 grand.

Well... thanks for the advice, it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for -- was hoping more for "oh i see you got x, I'd be interested in that" a couple of those posts..... or someone giving me a rough idea of how much most of the stuff would sell for or how much interest. Suppose it was a stupid post, I was thinking about making this post for awhile but was reluctant as I didn't feel it'd get the responses or info I was looking for, but thanks anyways. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing... leave the ads up, try for trades on craigslist...by the time I get to use my girlfriend's garage space and summer swings around... definitely gonna tear into it, either get it street legal or just completely hock everything and sell the roller for 2 grand.

It hasn't been that the thread hasn't been hit because it is showing 113 times. I think MONEY is the issue because when times were good there would have been plenty of action of people wanting to buy.

You claim to be asking for advice, but what you really want is for someone to agree with what you think and support you. When people with actual experience give you advice, you refuse to listen. You bought a race car on impulse, thinking you could triple your money, but you can't. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

You need to learn PATIENCE. You change your mind 18 times a day. You make a post, and then an hour later you post that you're frustrated that your latest idea isn't working and you're gonna try something different.

Tom, Do you think I'm stupid? I'm not the type of person who will accept anything anyone says without an explanation you can make all the statements you want but unless there's an explanation that conforms with logic and reality I'm going to ignore it. I'm not buying what you're saying because it actually contradicts with what the parts actually go for, the only thing you said that was sound and within the realms of logic is that nobody wants it because it's a racer.

It's true the market is far more limited for a racer and would make the car worth less due to lack of interest, but when you sell parts for what they are, the market is far more vast and open, so you're telling me a 500 buck part should sell for 20 bucks and that I'm not even going to make fair market value (not retail) from parts?

Honestly, it feels like youre trying to hedge your bets and get me to sell you the car for pennies on the dime because you've offered me your demon (which you had listed as 15,000 on craigslist unless it was a different one) and now your dart. I want to get my moneys worth from this car-- while this may hurt my sales --

Guy asked $6,000
I offered a duster i paid 750 for and 3,500 and he took it -- he was desperate and has been trying to sell the car for 2 years and needed money on spot because he had something he wanted to buy and needed cash for it, so in any sense if someone paid over 4,250 I'd make profit, but I know for a fact the parts are worth a lot more than that in total and you're STILL not explaining to me why its a 5k car, maybe because you already knew how much I got it for. So explain to me..... how all those parts aren't even worth what they go for on ebay, racingjunk, moparts etc? or are YOU hoping im desperate enough that you could make profit off me in the way im trying to make money off that guys desperation? I'm not being an ***, I'm calling you on your game.

Well, one way to tell it is not a $7500.00 car is you have no one willing to pay that for it right away. You will know when the price is right because you will get a PM saying "I want it, let's make a deal .... I have parted a few cars and it is torture selling everything , dealing with all the boxing, pics, shippng etc .... better off to just get out of it what you can and move on .
Just take a secound and look back on your posts and reread them , you might be surprised and you might understand what Tom meant ...

Steve

buddy, unfortunatly, tom is dead on with his comments on this one.

i took a few quick looks at the pics, and i see that is has bondo in it, maybe that is why you see no rust.
the engine is not worth much, but maybe 500.00 . i can piece that coar together with the price you are asking, and have a real clean car.. not saying yours is junk, but it is purpose built at the moment. most now want a street and sometime track car. this is setup more for track only.
the economy is hard right now, and i also say the price range is around 5,000-6,500.00 in this killer economy. and if you get anywhere close to 10k out of it for parting it and including selling the shell, you are the man. you may have looked at the prices of new parts, but just by looking, those parts were used hard and put away wet. so, when i look at buying this as a braket car, i see alot of future failures, and more exspence, then building my own. all worn, beat hard at the track, old outdated parts do not add up to what you want for the car

call me crazy, but after going through the list of parts, including all the goodies, i can hit the local swap meets, and spend about 2500 or lees for said parts. the fiberglass nose also hurts the value, as we all know that most are junk, and crack up, and never line up correctly, without spending thousands of dollars at a body shop for the work to be dne

If you are so sure the parts are worth that much than quit asking questions & sell them. Bottom line, at least to me is, you have a car that to you is gold, because it is yours and you want it be. But the reality is it is not. You have no idea what is in the motor, other than these race psitons you have mentioned? What exactly are race pistons?? Hooker fenderwell headers with a maximium flow cat back exhaust? Car never had cats so you appear to not know what it is you are trying to sell. Your ad on here was, well, interesting. Rear valence dented by racing....obviously...Goofy question, how exactly do you dent a rear valence on a bracket car, as you claim it is? You live in Montana and are trying to sell a niche market car and are unwilling to deal with shipping, bring your trailer or something to that extent.....do you want to sell it or not? We have all made mistakes in our dealing with old cars, maybe it is time to lick you wounds, sell what you can at a reasonable price and move on?? By reasonable I mean what some one is willing to pay, not some over inflated price that you THINK it is worth. This hobby is not for everyone. You posted this as a question and now that people are giving you there honest opinions you are freaking out over it.

-
Back