New 5 speed from Tremec TKX

-
Thank you.

At that point how much more work is it to fix an off the shelf T56 you have the possibility of finding used?

Maybe this would be drop in for the E and B body’s guys?

I am no expert but American Powertrain had a very useful video on the pitfalls of buying a 2nd T56 in terms of fit and shifter position.

Thank you.

At that point how much more work is it to fix an off the shelf T56 you have the possibility of finding used?

Used T56's can be had for less than half the price of a new Tremec 6 speed.
I don't know about others, but a Challenger trans has a flanged output shaft so an adaptor needs to be added for a splined slip joint. ($300) Lots of wrecked low mileage Challengers out there so no rebuild required.

Lots of wrecked low mileage Challengers out there so no rebuild required.
every time i see someone write that, i don't know whether to laugh or cry...guess i'll :lol: looking forward to seeing someones transplant pics soon

every time i see someone write that, i don't know whether to laugh or cry...guess i'll :lol: looking forward to seeing someones transplant pics soon

Not sure what you mean by that but....12,000 mile drivetrain.

20200926_111404.jpg

20200527_121512.jpg

20200530_145721.jpg

20200601_135151.jpg

Not sure what you mean by that but....12,000 mile drivetrain.
the laugh or cry? apparently there's a lot of challengers, and mustangs, and cameros ending up totaled with not too many miles on them. great for engine swaps, not a great commentary on the driving skills of who's buying these cars in the first place. what trans are you going with on your's?

I have 3.55 gears in my Duster with 27560R15 tires and I'm running 2600rpm @60 mph. With this new TKX I can run 80mph@2400rpm. Hell Yes! I already have a Mopar to GM TKO bell housing so I will be ordering soon.

You will have the SLR of a dumptruck with that Lowgear set. Similar to the Richmond 5 speed. Research all the those numbers before you pull the trigger.... Been there, done that, and wish someone had explained it to me before I spent the coin on my old 5 speed Nash in a previous life lol.....

JW

I am no expert but American Powertrain had a very useful video on the pitfalls of buying a 2nd T56 in terms of fit and shifter position.
Well I hope they have gotten lots better over the years. The American Powertrain OD units I’ve use back in the mid to late 90s couldn’t handle 400 hp/tq in a 68 440 auto Charger. After the second 1 killed the tranny we sent it to the place that sold us the OD units. 3rd time wasn’t the charm. It went back to the regular 727. Kim

Used T56's can be had for less than half the price of a new Tremec 6 speed.
I don't know about others, but a Challenger trans has a flanged output shaft so an adaptor needs to be added for a splined slip joint. ($300) Lots of wrecked low mileage Challengers out there so no rebuild required.

I was planning to go that route using a T-56 out of a wrecked Challenger until I saw this video... seems like more hassle than it's worth and probably not as much money saved as might be thought. The different bellhousing and input shaft wouldn't be needed but still need to figure out the shifter and add in that slip yoke adapter. I haven't seen any used TR6060 transmissions for less than $2000 btw which is already 2/3 the price of a new T-56 Magnum.

TR6060 discussion starts around 14:35

I'm also still curious how the surgery required compares between the T-56 and TKX or a T-5.

Last edited:
Lets hope these won't be the total dismal failure Passon has been.

I'm also still curious how the surgery required compares between the T-56 and TKX or a T-5.[/QUOTE]

SST said it was bigger than yhe T5, and by their account, the T5 still needed tunnel love for a mopar a body.

What’s the deal with the weirdo disagreeing with everything you write.
He’s a little crazy and likes following people around on forums. I gave him a little of his medicine, but he still lingers.

I'm also still curious how the surgery required compares between the T-56 and TKX or a T-5.

SST said it was bigger than yhe T5, and by their account, the T5 still needed tunnel love for a mopar a body.[/QUOTE]

Yes but how much? Seems like for a T-56 you have to remove half the entire trans tunnel to make it fit...

Here is pix of a hand made tunnel to fit around T6 in my 72 Demon. With regard to the wrecked modern challenger humor. I stuffed wrecked drive train in mine. I got a build thread on here somewhere that has lain dormant for a few months while I save up more coin. True story, I could not find a OEM radiator to save my life no matter how much I searched and called salvage yards. I finally gave up when the guy at the salvage yard snickered at my request and quietly said “ Sonny, don’t nobody wreck them cars backing up” I about died. Proceeded to buy aftermarket radiator.

B1F667BD-C4F2-49F4-BD43-820F68655035.jpeg

6DBD389F-241E-4035-9513-2BC7B8266555.jpeg

i heard the passion tranny was the bomb if you could ever get one . are they problematic ?
there are some threads where people have had (to put it mildly), problems. not just with the trans, but warranty, shipping and attitude

there are some threads where people have had (to put it mildly), problems. not just with the trans, but warranty, shipping and attitude

Multiple threads? I am aware of the one for sure, could certainly have missed others.

Not arguing, just curious.

Spoke to SST 2 days ago. It has the same physical mounting points and lengths as the TKO and is only slightly smaller.
In an A-body, the T-bar crossmember "hoop" still has to be COMPLETELY cut out and the floor hump expanded outward. It is not an easy bolt-in.
It is smaller than the Tremec 6 speed and 40 lbs lighter.
I was told by SST they could modify the TKX to fit A Body Mopars without modifying the torsion bar "hoop". We will see as I plan to order on modified.

You will have the SLR of a dumptruck with that Lowgear set. Similar to the Richmond 5 speed. Research all the those numbers before you pull the trigger.... Been there, done that, and wish someone had explained it to me before I spent the coin on my old 5 speed Nash in a previous life lol.....

JW
I will certainly reconsider that gearset. I remember 3.42 and lower gears were recommended with the 3.27 first gear. 11.60 overall 1st gear ratio with the 3.27, 10.188 with the 2.87.

I will certainly reconsider that gearset. I remember 3.42 and lower gears were recommended with the 3.27 first gear. 11.60 overall 1st gear ratio with the 3.27, 10.188 with the 2.87.

IDK about that SLR being too steep. I’m at 14.1 and I’m going to 15.07 because 14 isn’t enough for a 3400 pound car IMO.

The SLR issue has been skewed because of the powerglide. Unless your car is 2900 pounds or under, even that 11.60 first gear sounds tall to me.

I’d call someone like Advanced Clutches in Idaho or Black Magic clutches or both and talk to them about SLR.

Car weight and SLR have a huge affect on clutches and clutch tuning. If the first gear is too tall, even driving the car around town is miserable, you have to feather the clutch all the time...just a PITA.

And one way guys bandaid that is with a 30 pound flywheel. If first gear is correct, you can use a 15 pound flywheel and the car will drive better everywhere.

Just my opinion.

Their CAD pics look to be the same case between TKO and TKX but with ancillary items cleaned off.

Not sure how much extra room that's gonna give.

IDK about that SLR being too steep. I’m at 14.1 and I’m going to 15.07 because 14 isn’t enough for a 3400 pound car IMO.

The SLR issue has been skewed because of the powerglide. Unless your car is 2900 pounds or under, even that 11.60 first gear sounds tall to me.

I would like a lower first and a higher top gear than the 2.66 in my A833 too. With 3.91 gears that's a 10.4 SLR. Although more would probably make traction an issue with 295/50 street tires, even with the Caltracs... the 30 lb steel flywheel helps, but the 1200 rpm idle makes it impossible to "parade" without constantly working the clutch since that is 9 mph!

Waiting to see where this TKX for A-bodies goes :)

I would like a lower first and a higher top gear than the 2.66 in my A833 too. With 3.91 gears that's a 10.4 SLR. Although more would probably make traction an issue with 295/50 street tires, even with the Caltracs... the 30 lb steel flywheel helps, but the 1200 rpm idle makes it impossible to "parade" without constantly working the clutch since that is 9 mph!

Waiting to see where this TKX for A-bodies goes :)

1200 rpm idle ? What engine and cam ?

-
Back