New/old motor for the duster

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
Getting the next motor ready for the duster...
IMG_20230505_134215797.jpg

IMG_20230505_134228497.jpg

Looks good! That gold Moroso stuff is tough to find!

This motor is something I'm building on the cheap to sell my duster with and this gold moroso stuff will definitely not be going with it...

Looks great! Do you have details or did you post a thread on what you’ve put together? Love the bright silver finish, too!

Looks great! Do you have details or did you post a thread on what you’ve put together? Love the bright silver finish, too!
It's a craigslist 360 I pulled apart and resealed... Everything looks good I just needed a # four cam bearing... I lapped the valves and put valve seals and gaskets and a double roller timing chain. Found a performer intake at the swap meet for cheap.

Last edited:
That's the way to do it, I bet it runs just fine once you get it installed. 65'

I would never have thought you would get rid of the Duster.

I would never have thought you would get rid of the Duster.
I never really had a plan for selling it. I was going to give it to my son but he has no room for it. And now with my power wagon which I seem to drive more and like more I'm just going to keep it. I need more room in my garage I just don't have space... I'm going to keep 80% of all the good stuff in the car.. that's why I'm building this motor and transmission for it..

I never really had a plan for selling it. I was going to give it to my son but he has no room for it. And now with my power wagon which I seem to drive more and like more I'm just going to keep it. I need more room in my garage I just don't have space... I'm going to keep 80% of all the good stuff in the car.. that's why I'm building this motor and transmission for it..
Rent a storage building, I had to for more room. I have my Willys and Duster in one.
Its kinda expensive, but keeps the vehicles out of the weather, and the wife *****'n crap is in the yard.

Rent a storage building, I had to for more room. I have my Willys and Duster in one.
Its kinda expensive, but keeps the vehicles out of the weather, and the wife *****'n crap is in the yard.
I did already... my truck is in storage this month to give room to switch everything out with the duster... $200 a month= $2400 a year+1600 or so a year for insurance... (For the truck 25k agreed, duster 15k, and ta 9k)
I drove the duster 4 times last year... Once to storage once back home (+6 mouths storage fee $1200) and twice around the neighborhood to keep the tires round...
I just don't have time for it and I want to do other things with the money than pay storage...
My wife never complains about any of my toys...

I did already... my truck is in storage this month to give room to switch everything out with the duster... $200 a month= $2400 a year+1600 or so a year for insurance... (For the truck 25k agreed, duster 15k, and ta 9k)
I drove the duster 4 times last year... Once to storage once back home (+6 mouths storage fee $1200) and twice around the neighborhood to keep the tires round...
I just don't have time for it and I want to do other things with the money than pay storage...
My wife never complains about any of my toys...
Do what suits you best, I have not drove my Duster or Willys for at least 2 years now, $1800 a year for storage, but they are safe.
I built both of them from junk so they are not going anywhere.

Too much crap, wife just 5 minutes ago was *****'n about my tractor, dump trailer and car trailer sitting in the back yard.

I should remind her that she moved in with me 25 years ago, but its probably better to keep my mouth shut. I owned the house long before her.

After going through the transmission last month I finally got to the time to go through the valve body... A couple of weeks ago I talked to a member and he gave me a few tricks for improving shifts so I applied that knowledge...
I got a Mr gasket ratchet shifter at the swap meet for 40 bucks that had a corny piston shift knob and I just got a basic one. A friend of the swap meet gave me the shift cable and I grabbed the cable bracket that goes on to the transmission a while back to go... I've done this before where I straightened out the shift arm on the transmission and just drilled a hole closer to the fulcrum point that match the throw of the shifter.. of course I make all my adjustments on the bench so when I put it in the car I just have to attach it...
Obviously tomorrow I'm going to start with already clean up of everything..
IMG_20230508_163546068.jpg

Spent more time with the engine yesterday. Fitting the alternator and putting the fuel pump on the gas lines the studs for the carburetor and so forth. Got the engine motor mounts on there and made a set of 318 brackets work over on the driver side... I've done this before with the same set of brackets.,
Also I knocked off a set of counterweights off of a 360 727 torque converter so I can put them on the 904 torque converter...
To check the location of the brackets I opened the hood of the duster and looked in and was like wow this was a lot of work getting it this nice it's going to be a shame to disassemble it...
IMG_20230509_152259338_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230509_114243888_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230510_080041097.jpg

You never did use that nitrous set up.
Ya, never got to the track in the last couple of years... Drove the duster today ( first time in a couple months..) no need for nitrous...
Took my wife out to dinner tonight and enjoyed driving the ta much more...
It's time....

Last edited:
Inside mostly out....
IMG_20230515_134950266.jpg

IMG_20230515_134959090.jpg

Next up taking down this mess and getting it ready to come out...
IMG_20230515_102028628.jpg

Took it all out and bought some cheap craigslist buckets...
Going back to stripped down light weight..
for selling, I see .... keeping your refinished seats. Or sell them separately for more $$.

for selling, I see .... keeping your refinished seats. Or sell them separately for more $$.
Not only the seats but the entire interior. All of the plastics door panels kick panels A pillars and so forth. I was thinking of an entire black interior package deal...

-
Back