Nicks Garage, 572 HEMI, Here we go....

-
I’m with you guys,,,,as soon as he saw the frozen accelerator pumps,,,,,,I would have stopped right there .
Then after fixing the carbs,,,,I would have moved on to the distributor.
No reason to try to use gunked up carbs,,,,even for a test .

That looks like a beautiful engine,,,,I’m sure RAMM did a great job .
750 is a lot of power from a Hemi with 2 carbs on a normal intake .

I wish RAmm would post some pics of the original build,,,,,I guess he needs to keep that private because he’s in business .

Tommy

Dist could have been something as simple as pulling it to get out of the way when pulling the engine then just throwing it back in the hole..
Doubtful, his mechanic put it in without touching it. I'm sure it came out the same way it went in. J.Rob

Doubtful, his mechanic put it in without touching it. I'm sure it came out the same way it went in. J.Rob
Well.. i can't wait to see nick explain how you messed up building it :) (Am joking of course)

I’m with you guys,,,,as soon as he saw the frozen accelerator pumps,,,,,,I would have stopped right there .
Then after fixing the carbs,,,,I would have moved on to the distributor.
No reason to try to use gunked up carbs,,,,even for a test .

That looks like a beautiful engine,,,,I’m sure RAMM did a great job .
750 is a lot of power from a Hemi with 2 carbs on a normal intake .

I wish RAmm would post some pics of the original build,,,,,I guess he needs to keep that private because he’s in business .

Tommy
572 Hemi Saga

Most of the pics are in the link. Oh and it never made 750hp--It only made 734.9 hp J.Rob

At this point I have determined nick is another "youtube celebrity" who is OBVIOUSLY not qualified to be working on anything of that level. His diagnostic skills are extremely poor.

If he would do what his brother says this is like the 3 time he's ingored what his brother says and plows through his own way till in the end he does it his brothers way but never admits it was his brothers idea. He must be a pain in the *** to work for now I understand why he's working alone. And his comment almost every video how much he hates headers when your like me and headers are cheaper than stock exhaust manifolds you use the cheaper option

The customer I built it for took posession of it December 2020, I really don't know what it has gone through from then until now. All I would hear is how much of an animal it was from his personal mechanic that works on his car collection. Only idea I have is that the carbs are gunked up from no use and all of the backfiring caused the plugs to foul immediately. Look at all the smoke escaping the exhaust--Can you say over fueled and washed/glazed cylinder walls? Maybe even scuffed skirts. I'm sure he will get to the bottom of it, in the next couple of video installments. J.Rob
You mean maybe the next five installments?

At this point I have determined nick is another "youtube celebrity" who is OBVIOUSLY not qualified to be working on anything of that level. His diagnostic skills are extremely poor.
It's funny because all of us here knew right off it was probably 180 out. After that first pop, that would have been what I checked.

Excellent thread on the other site,,,,,really good video too !
You do great work,,,,,I’m very impressed with your shop,,,,you really know what you are doing .

Tommy

As for the accelerator pumps…….my experience with Holley carbs that have been sitting…..when the pump levers act like the pump is “solid”, is that’s not usually the symptom of the diaphragms getting/being stiff.

When they’re “solid”, it’s because they are hydro-locked.
They check needles will be stuck to the seats, and more often than not they won’t break free from pushing on the pump lever.
When I’ve run into that, sometimes some light tapping on the squirter screw will free them up, but that doesn’t work very often.
Just remove the squirter, and with something like a sharp pick, try and wiggle the top of the check needle.
Once it moves, you’re all set.
Reinstall the squirter and test it……you should be good to go.

If they’ve been sitting for a fairly long period of time, it’s a good idea to pull the needle out and make sure the tip isn’t corroded.

As for the accelerator pumps…….my experience with Holley carbs that have been sitting…..when the pump levers act like the pump is “solid”, is that’s not usually the symptom of the diaphragms getting/being stiff.

When they’re “solid”, it’s because they are hydro-locked.
They check needles will be stuck to the seats, and more often than not they won’t break free from pushing on the pump lever.
When I’ve run into that, sometimes some light tapping on the squirter screw will free them up, but that doesn’t work very often.
Just remove the squirter, and with something like a sharp pick, try and wiggle the top of the check needle.
Once it moves, you’re all set.
Reinstall the squirter and test it……you should be good to go.

If they’ve been sitting for a fairly long period of time, it’s a good idea to pull the needle out and make sure the tip isn’t corroded.
I have had the exact same experience with squirters. But usually I’m successful with a few light taps on the squirter screws with a small hammer.

That blasted corrosion.
1723396123215.png

LOL is all I can say. Been there done that in my teens. Bring in the way back machine!

Nick ignored the simple basics that are rightfully preached here for advice from the get go. What's that saying....KISS...but being a Frenchman there's gonna be a slip of the tongue lol.
What baffles me is there was no NEED to post the video. Kinda like home made **** you think the video might be good at the time, but after watching it ya think better of it. :rolleyes:
It's funny because all of us here knew right off it was probably 180 out. After that first pop, that would have been what I checked.

With 48k views in 6 days, I’m sure he has no regrets in showing it.
Plus, it’s bait for the next installment.

I would say many(most?) of the 273k NG subscribers are going to give him a pass on how long it took to check the distributor phasing.
They’ll keep tuning in.

With 48k views in 6 days, I’m sure he has no regrets in showing it.
Plus, it’s bait for the next installment.

I would say many(most?) of the 273k NG subscribers are going to give him a pass on how long it took to check the distributor phasing.
They’ll keep tuning in.

Huuuuyip.

Already dropped a teaser. And already comments about valvefloat. Can't wait for tomorrow, Should be fun.J.Rob

I’m going to guess he needs to turn up the rev limiter………and if its the one in the box…..needs a laptop?

Already dropped a teaser. And already comments about valvefloat. Can't wait for tomorrow, Should be fun.J.Rob

Just watched it for a 2nd time, it might be the audio but , doesn't sound like valve float to me. I see he's got the programmable box I set up plugged in. On those boxes you set the Rev limiter on the laptop it's pretty cool, unless he hooked a laptop to it, he doesn't know what the base timing should be, or the shape of the retard curve-yes that's what it's called, and he also can't see.....Guess what? The REV limit. I wish I could remember but I think it was 6200-6300 rpm. Fun fact...Superflow dynos like mine and Nick's and @PRH Use an optical pickup on the absorber input shaft. Why is this important? Because every time an ignition based Rev limiter is used, it kicks in 100rpm to 150 rpm sooner. So if you set your Rev limit @ 6000rpm with the ignition and then you set the dyno test range from say XXXX starting RPM- 6000RPM, during the pull, the rev-limit will begin kicking in around 5850-5900rpm. This is what it sounds like to me in the video. Food for thought. J.Rob

P.S.I wanted the customer to have access to his full 6000rpm which is why I likely set it to 6200-6300 rpm. Can the valvetrain handle more? Most likely with the RBRE/T&D shaft rockers, ISKY tool room springs and solid roller lifters. At the 700+HP level, this customer was not interested in MORE.

Last edited:
I’m going to guess he needs to turn up the rev limiter………and if its the one in the box…..needs a laptop?
Great minds eh Mr.Porter. I made a long-winded post or I would've treed ya. Good job. J.Rob

Jesse, did the dyno sheets from your testing include the timing setting in the heading?

Jesse, did the dyno sheets from your testing include the timing setting in the heading?
It was probably handwritten in after. It would require the customers originals. I may be able to pull up the timing file from the MSD software, and I always set the timing at a nice even number like 40 degrees and retard the curve from a locked out max of 40. J.Rob

-
Back