Nicks Garage, 572 HEMI, Here we go....

-
I haven't flipped thru Boobtube comments yet, but is anyone calling him out on this foolishness?
a few people... but most are like OHHHH AHH!!! the great and powerful Oz has spoken!

That first pop when he tried to fire it, everyone should have known that was timing, didn't sound like a lean pop at all.. too violent and crisp (if that makes sense) but.. hey.. lets do it 3 more times to be sure :)

Especially since nick STILL has no idea what the timing curve looks like
This right here is my single biggest point of contention! He has no idea what the curve looks like, or what the Rev limit is set at. He revs it to XXXX rpm and reads the light (when he uses it) and declares it has 28 degrees? What if I made the curve to come in more like 3500rpm? I'm pretty sure he has 10 or more degrees timing than he thinks, which is why it gained nothing on the race fuel, and also why the best pull was when he backed it to "26". Wouldn't you back it up further to see if it kept picking up? That's how I test anyways. J.Rob

This right here is my single biggest point of contention! He has no idea what the curve looks like, or what the Rev limit is set at. He revs it to XXXX rpm and reads the light (when he uses it) and declares it has 28 degrees? What if I made the curve to come in more like 3500rpm? I'm pretty sure he has 10 or more degrees timing than he thinks, which is why it gained nothing on the race fuel, and also why the best pull was when he backed it to "26". Wouldn't you back it up further to see if it kept picking up? That's how I test anyways. J.Rob
AHH!!! I was wondering why it picked up down at 26.. my brain was like.. ummm 26? how... and yeah.. i woulda gone lower til it leveled out to get the data.

I tell my customers that a timing number is only half the information you need the other half is at what rpm the timing is taken at.

Unless the programmed timing curve is set up for full advance before about 2000rpm, he has no idea what the actual full advance timing is.

He never checks the timing at high rpm(not that I’ve seen anyway)

After I’ve tightened down the distributor, I give the motor a good zing while watching the timing light so I know how high the timing really gets.

I tell my customers that a timing number is only half the information you need the other half is at what rpm the timing is taken at.
I was hoping he'd just plug in his MSD 6al box and then he would know without a doubt whatever the locked out timing was AND he'd have control over the Rev limit. Furthermore with the RBRE/T&D rocker system and the Isky Toolroom springs and TS retainers, the valvetrain is likely good for well over 7000 rpm. But it's stated numerous times "Might be valvefloat". How about taking the valvecovers off to check the lash and inspect the valvetrain, BEFORE firing it !? One look at that caliber of hardware and any seasoned pro would have a hard time believing valvefloat is the culprit. J.Rob

I can't understand why he took the engine to nick instead of jesse , it's not like you are far away , what two three hours . And whats even crazier not even a phone call .

I can't understand why he took the engine to nick instead of jesse , it's not like you are far away , what two three hours . And whats even crazier not even a phone call .
Nick is internet famous... that makes him the better choice for most people.

I'm 1.5 hrs from Laval and Nick has been to my shop once before. J.Rob

I can't believe they are making a part 3.. and in the preview... he offers up another dual quad intake.. after shitting on the first one.

I can't believe they are making a part 3.. and in the preview... he offers up another dual quad intake.. after shitting on the first one.
I think this may even turn into a whole series. He's already talking about replacing the head gaskets....so why not go all the way? If the customers game that is. J.Rob

I think this may even turn into a whole series. He's already talking about replacing the head gaskets....so why not go all the way? If the customers game that is. J.Rob
AHH! i forgot bout the gaskets.... just curious.. why would head gaskets start leaking just from sitting? Also.. i know i'm paranoid and overthink but i wouldn't have turned it over again cause i woulda been worried bout water leaking into a cyl and we know how much water likes to compress

AHH! i forgot bout the gaskets.... just curious.. why would head gaskets start leaking just from sitting? Also.. i know i'm paranoid and overthink but i wouldn't have turned it over again cause i woulda been worried bout water leaking into a cyl and we know how much water likes to com

I'm willing to bet its the intake that he put on is leaking not the head gaskets . Why weren't the head gaskets leaking last test , maybe they were but i missed it ?

AHH! i forgot bout the gaskets.... just curious.. why would head gaskets start leaking just from sitting? Also.. i know i'm paranoid and overthink but i wouldn't have turned it over again cause i woulda been worried bout water leaking into a cyl and we know how much water likes to compress
I can't believe the dipstick wasn't even pulled to check. J.Rob

I'm willing to bet its the intake that he put on is leaking not the head gaskets . Why weren't the head gaskets leaking last test , maybe they were but i missed it ?
I had thought of that.. but i don't think hemi heads pass water... at least in that intake they wouldn't...

P.S. although the bolts might go into the water jackets.. no idea.. i have slight hemi fever but could never justify it :)

I had thought of that.. but i don't think hemi heads pass water... at least in that intake they wouldn't...

P.S. although the bolts might go into the water jackets.. no idea.. i have slight hemi fever but could never justify it :)
yes you are right the water does not go through the intake I'm not that familar with Hemi's but it's not hard to tell with a quick look .

One look at that caliber of hardware and any seasoned pro would have a hard time believing valvefloat is the culprit. J.Rob
Seasoned pro is the missing part here. It’s amazing to me the valve covers never came off to check lash, zero carb adjustments, and absofuckinlutely no idea what curve is in the programable box. Those three things should have happened before there was even an attempt to fire that poor thing. I read some of the comments on the video, I just shake my head at the unbelievably ignorant *** hats praising Nick and his “efforts”. I said it before and I’ll say it again, what a **** show. Oh and I forgot, NOT ONE FUCKIN SPARK PLUG READ!

I am curious... i have never used a laptop to program MSD stuffs... is the software readily available? special cable needed to read the box?

I am curious... i have never used a laptop to program MSD stuffs... is the software readily available? special cable needed to read the box?
On mine I use my phone with free MSD App. But yes MSD has downloadable software for a laptop and you just plug in to it.

On mine I use my phone with free MSD App. But yes MSD has downloadable software for a laptop and you just plug in to it.
wow.. that's cool you can do it from a phone though.. I will never trust MSD (for the street) but that's a cool option

I will never trust MSD
I’ve raced thousands and thousands of miles through the Mexican desert (read; dangerous) and the ONLY box I want on board our truck is the MSD 6. We have two boxes for redundancy and in 15 years of racing, never used the spare.

I’ve raced thousands and thousands of miles through the Mexican desert (read; dangerous) and the ONLY box I want on board our truck is the MSD 6. We have two boxes for redundancy and in 15 years of racing, never used the spare.
you are lucky...i have had to rescue soo many friends in the past cause of msd parts.. BUT that was also a long time ago... I will never have anything that needs a better ignition.. so moot point :)

you are lucky...i have had to rescue soo many friends in the past cause of msd parts.. BUT that was also a long time ago... I will never have anything that needs a better ignition.. so moot point :)
Most of the problems associated with ignition, are user induced. Wiring being the main culprit 99% of the time. I mean we did just see Nick crimp a battery cable with freakin Vice grips.

-
Back