"No Budget" 1966 Valiant 100 straight axle GASSER

-
I was thinking about somewhere on/in the deck lid............ I explain when I haven't had to many beers in me! Your build is outstanding my friend.... I'm inspired!

Thanks man,
Everythings gettin' roughed in right now, I'll go back an make it pertty... This is the funnest project I've ever built, I guess the challenge of building it without a budget really works my imagination and creativity... I like the way you're building your two, those will be a couple of slick-azz mopars....

I see you are moving right along Hornet :cheers:
And you have been busy while I was gone :happy10:
Good job closing the cowl vents and the floors look strong :happy10:

Glad you're back Mike, the board just didn't seem the same without ya.... Yeah those floorboards will still be around a hundred years after I'm gone....

I've got other stuff to do today so we'll do a quick little project.. Lighten the hood !!!! Took a cut off wheel and my grinder and went at it.. I left it double where the 4 hood pins will be holding it on, later I'll be cutting a hole for the tunnel ram, when I figure out where it's going to pop through at, then I'll add a little framein' back in the center... I'll weigh that cut off metal later and see how much weight we lost...

I just rough cut it for now, I wanted to make sure that I didn't cut into the top of the hood... Later I'll trim it and clean it up.. If feels quiet a bit lighter...

I've got other stuff to do today so we'll do a quick little project.. Lighten the hood !!!! Took a cut off wheel and my grinder and went at it.. I left it double where the 4 hood pins will be holding it on, later I'll be cutting a hole for the tunnel ram, when I figure out where it's going to pop through at, then I'll add a little framein' back in the center... I'll weigh that cut off metal later and see how much weight we lost...
What in the hell was stuffed in there...it didn't come from Mexico did it?

Hornet,
I hope you didn't get carried away with the frame removal. You may need the right and left frames along the outside to still give the hood enough rigidity to handle by yourself. The deck lid on my Comet race car was lightened like you have done on your hood and it is really flimsy. Makes it tough to handle, it feels like it wants to fold in half every time I take it off. L8r.

Jim

Hornet,
I hope you didn't get carried away with the frame removal. You may need the right and left frames along the outside to still give the hood enough rigidity to handle by yourself. The deck lid on my Comet race car was lightened like you have done on your hood and it is really flimsy. Makes it tough to handle, it feels like it wants to fold in half every time I take it off. L8r.

Jim

I left some metal on the edges, after I cut the tunnel ram hole I'm going to add some braceing...

dooood, yer just haulin butt with this. you fer hire?

I got tired of looking at all of the holes in the firewall so fixed a few, I don't like delete plates it still looks like a heater motor was there.. I'll get some body filler tomorrow and smooth this out...

Who you working for the IRS ??? I'm living off my 401K until that commie bastard is ran out of office then I'll go back into construction...
:cheers::cheers::cheers: LOL also I work for a Beer Distributor...so make sure you keep on drinking.......until that commie bastard is out of office....

Been following your thread and figured it's time to step in it and tell you how much I've enjoyed it. Got to love a gasser!

Been following your thread and figured it's time to step in it and tell you how much I've enjoyed it. Got to love a gasser!

Glad you stopped by, I've always loved gassers and AWB's, figured it was time to build one, the ole' school way.... Searchin' through some gasser pics last night I found my paint job, just need to find some better pics of the car, and re-size the pic I found, it's to big to put on this thread.....

I'll try this to load gasser pic.. LOVE THIS PAINT JOB....
scan0055.jpg

scan0057.jpg

I'm back on the floorboards today, found one spot that didn't feel quiet right, I could push down on it a little... Kinda strange that was a part of the factory '73 floor, must be a mopar weak spot.. So I welded 2 small plates at an angle at 2 creases and its hard as a rock now, floor has no give at all now...

After pricein' a threaded rod, nuts and clips I decided to just buy 2-sets of hood pins.. I'm still going to use these aluminum plates I'm working on.. I sold the gas pedal out of the Valiant to cover the cost....

Those are "TO COOL"!!!! Brother if I could time travel I WOULD... I find it hard to believe that out of 15,000+ members you an I are the only ones working on '66 Valiant GASSERS....

Those are "TO COOL"!!!! Brother if I could time travel I WOULD... I find it hard to believe that out of 15,000+ members you an I are the only ones working on '66 Valiant GASSERS....

I know these are not A bodies but my good friend and member here BULL1TT is building a couple cool cars......... He lets me hand him a wrench every once in a while! We call this one Judy....after Judy Lilly of course

DSC03906.jpg

DSC03907.jpg

welding the axle in taught me two very important lessons.... 1) never expoxy paint your floor if you want to weld and 2) I cant weld!

This one is the newest flavor..... it used to be a 4 door!!!!!!!!!!!1

DSC05251.jpg

-
Back