"No Budget" 1966 Valiant 100 straight axle GASSER

-
this is our baby, no hemi, but she might get a straight axle over winter...
406, 680hp 4speed, pulls the wheels in 1st 2nd and 3rd:happy10:

Straight axle that badd-boy, a couple of years ago I thought about building a '55 gasser, ran an ad forever in the local car paper just looking for a '55 hull, no dice... '55's have gotta super high dollar in my region of the country...

Got the spot welds cut out, undercoating was much easier to get off not having to lay on my back, was still tough around the seam area...

Didn't realize just how small that trunk was until I crawled in it... Anyone know an out of work smurf that can weld???? Anyways, heres my version of mini-tubbin'...

Got a little more done, after that lack luster sawz-all cut last night I've decided to slow down and THINK... I'll be adding a full strip across the top also, I put a few strips on the underside to blend in the tub...

Got a little more done, after that lack luster sawz-all cut last night I've decided to slow down and THINK... I'll be adding a full strip across the top also, I put a few strips on the underside to blend in the tub...
Measure twice cut once. I have a baddd problem with that sometimes, but Ive gotten better.lol. Looking really good dewd. 8)

Actually it was an "I'm in a hurry its gettin' dark" cut... I've cut so much with a sawz-all I can eye ball a line and cut it, this time I knew my blade was warped and tried to make the cut laying on my back not looking at it... Not even measurein' for the floor cut this is how much floor patching I've had to do...

Actually it was an "I'm in a hurry its gettin' dark" cut... I've cut so much with a sawz-all I can eye ball a line and cut it, this time I knew my blade was warped and tried to make the cut laying on my back not looking at it... Not even measurein' for the floor cut this is how much floor patching I've had to do...
lol, thats a some pretty rough patchin to do.

lol, thats a some pretty rough patchin to do.

Yeah, I'm used to half a floorboard at a time patchin', this is like a vacation... I hope you really get into your project and enjoy it, true car crafting is a dying art.. So far you're doing great, you're thinking things through, makein' good judgement calls, not getting ahead of yourself and you have a grip on reality....

Yeah, I'm used to half a floorboard at a time patchin', this is like a vacation... I hope you really get into your project and enjoy it, true car crafting is a dying art.. So far you're doing great, you're thinking things through, makein' good judgement calls, not getting ahead of yourself and you have a grip on reality....
Thanks man, That means alot to hear from you. :-D. I already am really into it. I cant wait to get something done about the floorboards. I went through the boxes and I am only missing some insulations and stuff aside from a 727/904 and a 8 3/4.

Oh, and I keep forgetting to get pics of the mysterious hole cut in the trunk floor over the passenger spring hanger

Looking at the wheel tub this morning I think I'll do these different than adding the top strips... I cut the bottom off the truck support piece, I'll fab a cleaner looking piece to weld it back to the tub... I'm going to weld the whole strip on the bottom side for two reasons, 1- it's easier to work and get clean solid welds and 2- the top side will be easier to bodywork and make for a smoother looking tub... Any imput is welcome on this theory...

I'm back at it, I know mini-tubs are borein', so I'll slack up on the updates... Heres just an Idea how I'm doing mine, it takes a lot longer, but this car I plan on keepin'... When finished I'm going to grey splatter paint the tubs...

looking really good hornet. I really dont think minitub'n is boring. not too many people even show their minitub'n process

At the start of your project, I was pretty sure you were some kind of nut-job.:bootysha:

Now...I'm just plain envious. This will be one cool f-n hotrod. Good job!:cheers:

I remove undercoating with diesel fuel and a scraper. I put the fuel on with a bug sprayer and do one coat a day for 3 days then the undercoating just falls off, like nothing. Hell you could even remove it with a bondo scraper if you wanted to.

I remove undercoating with diesel fuel and a scraper. I put the fuel on with a bug sprayer and do one coat a day for 3 days then the undercoating just falls off, like nothing. Hell you could even remove it with a bondo scraper if you wanted to.

I tested the heat gun, it works great.. I'll save the undercoating removal for cooler weather... I've never seen so much under a car..

At the start of your project, I was pretty sure you were some kind of nut-job.:bootysha:

Now...I'm just plain envious. This will be one cool f-n hotrod. Good job!:cheers:

Uh thanks, I think... ;)
I was laying under it this morning thinking this is my last build, so I'm giving it the extra effort to go over every inch of this car top to bottom... This will be one of one built, and it'll sittin' in my driveway..

You sure are moving right along Hornet and looking good =P~
I seen a couple car's dun with that splater trunk paint at Monster Mopar and they looked very neat and nicely dun :cheers:
I finished installing my inside hood release today and I am ready for a cool shower and go watch ZWR play tonight :happy10: But first a 2 hour nap :-D

Uh thanks, I think... ;)
I was laying under it this morning thinking this is my last build

Last Build? Not - did you forget already my Duster is your next project? So stop dickin' around and finish your "second to the last project". :-D

After following your work here I've taken a change in the direction of my Duster. Here's what lies ahead so you can start gathering parts and get right to it when I drop my car off:
1 - Obviously - straight axel.
2 - We won't call it a gasser though, it'll be a "fuel-er" cause the "oil burner" Cummins 24 valve turbo, all electronics (makes 525 HP + 1000 TQ to the rear wheels) and built auto trans, which I'll send along with the body when I ship it to you.
3 - I have an 8 3/4 rear for it, but in case you prefer I'll send the Dana 70 (3:54 Locked) rear from the truck the Cummins is coming out of.
4 - To make things easier on you - I have a "new" full floor (rail to rail, toe-board to back side of the rear seat riser) from AMD. I'll send along about 20 pieces of Hospital bed frames (1" X 2" rectangular stock X at least 8' long) for frame connectors and cross members you'll need.
5 - I'll leave the rest up to your "Artistic" flavors.
:toothy10:

Will be one interesting/wild car when you're done . . .

Seriously, "your last build" !?!??!! What are you like 90 years old? Even if you are you've probably still got at least another 4 - 5 builds left before talent like yours can't be utilized anymore.

Keep up the good work, and don't forget to let me know where to ship the above 1 - 4 items so you can get started when your done with your car. :-D

Look forward to next update - enjoy the day.:cheers:

Last Build? Not - did you forget already my Duster is your next project? So stop dickin' around and finish your "second to the last project". :-D

After following your work here I've taken a change in the direction of my Duster. Here's what lies ahead so you can start gathering parts and get right to it when I drop my car off:
1 - Obviously - straight axel.
2 - We won't call it a gasser though, it'll be a "fuel-er" cause the "oil burner" Cummins 24 valve turbo, all electronics (makes 525 HP + 1000 TQ to the rear wheels) and built auto trans, which I'll send along with the body when I ship it to you.
3 - I have an 8 3/4 rear for it, but in case you prefer I'll send the Dana 70 (3:54 Locked) rear from the truck the Cummins is coming out of.
4 - To make things easier on you - I have a "new" full floor (rail to rail, toe-board to back side of the rear seat riser) from AMD. I'll send along about 20 pieces of Hospital bed frames (1" X 2" rectangular stock X at least 8' long) for frame connectors and cross members you'll need.
5 - I'll leave the rest up to your "Artistic" flavors.
:toothy10:

Will be one interesting/wild car when you're done . . .

Seriously, "your last build" !?!??!! What are you like 90 years old? Even if you are you've probably still got at least another 4 - 5 builds left before talent like yours can't be utilized anymore.

Keep up the good work, and don't forget to let me know where to ship the above 1 - 4 items so you can get started when your done with your car. :-D

Look forward to next update - enjoy the day.:cheers:

Damn, I better get busy on my gasser, sounds like I'll be 90 by the time I'm done with yours ;)
That would be an interesting build if you're serious....

-
Back