"No Budget" 1966 Valiant 100 straight axle GASSER

-
I'm going to try and get all the welding on this side finished today and finish up the underside of the tub, for the rest of the strips up under the tub I'm just grinding the welds and fiberglassing the seams...

Finished all the welding on the underside of tub, ground the frame welds down, put a layer of fiberglass over the seam, will smooth that out a little tomorrow...

Thanks guys,
Y'all keep me motivated... I'd like to be making a few test an tune passes by this time next year... Safety for me and the guy in the other lane is my main concern with everything under this gasser being "experimental"..

Damn, I better get busy on my gasser, sounds like I'll be 90 by the time I'm done with yours ;)
That would be an interesting build if you're serious....

Just kidding - I'll get to it some day. Probably no gasser, or even a fuel-er for that matter. I'm keeping it limited to the things I have - 360 slightly warmed over, 4 spd, 8 3/4 w/3.54s. Unless, god forbid, something bad happened to my truck - then it's up in the air . . .

Keep the **** coming.

I decided to shorten an use the factory hinge bracket bottom that I cut off yesterday, I hate grinding these freakin' welds... If I do another project I'll get a better welder, this one will have to do for now its just sheet metal...

that is precicely what i would have done. and since it is just sheetmetal and the welder is so dirty, why not save the budget some more and just wire brush em, paint em, and move on. just a time saving thought. time is money.and all that. i say if someone buggs out about the welds, just have em show you thier home built, no budget, gasser!!!!!!!!! it has also been my experience that, the old un-ground, flux-core welds make things look more period correct! build on dude. i like your style!!!!!!!!

Man, you already have 21 pages! You make pretty fast progress! And it looks good man. Keep it up. I need to get myself a welder soon.

that is precicely what i would have done. and since it is just sheetmetal and the welder is so dirty, why not save the budget some more and just wire brush em, paint em, and move on. just a time saving thought. time is money.and all that. i say if someone buggs out about the welds, just have em show you thier home built, no budget, gasser!!!!!!!!! it has also been my experience that, the old un-ground, flux-core welds make things look more period correct! build on dude. i like your style!!!!!!!!

You're exactly right, as long as it burns in good and the welds are strong what else matters... I know I create a lot more work than needed, I'm just a stickler about DETAIL... It's kinda like some of the slick looking cars you see and you say WOW, then when you get up close you start seeing all the flaws, 20-year old dirt all under the under carriage been sprayed over with black rattle can spray paint, worn out bushings etc... I'm not building a show car, but just thinking that I didn't do my best would drive me nuts...

Man, you already have 21 pages! You make pretty fast progress! And it looks good man. Keep it up. I need to get myself a welder soon.

If chit-chat were progress I'd be finished by now ;)
It motivates me just to talk about it sometimes to keep my mo-jo pumpin'...

I've been side tracked a lot today, other stuff going on.... I have got a little done, ground down the welds on the trunk hinge support and got the rear package tray bar cut and welded back in...

Finished the underside of the tub right at dark, paint was still drying when I took the pics... I'm going to paint the whole underside of car this color grey..

You have been a busy bee Hornet :cheers: and I must say the tubs look great =P~
The temps are going up to 99 degree's here today so I am thinking I need to get an early start if I am going to service my trans and rear end today.
I wish I lived closer to you, I would hire you out to build me some lower 1/4 patches 8)8)
Keep up the good work brother Hornet :happy10: you are moving forward in fine fashion :happy10:

You have been a busy bee Hornet :cheers: and I must say the tubs look great =P~
The temps are going up to 99 degree's here today so I am thinking I need to get an early start if I am going to service my trans and rear end today.
I wish I lived closer to you, I would hire you out to build me some lower 1/4 patches 8)8)
Keep up the good work brother Hornet :happy10: you are moving forward in fine fashion :happy10:

Thanks memike, sounds like a heat wave moving this way, better get an early start on the tranny an rear, about 2pm the heat index gets right around here...

Thanks memike, sounds like a heat wave moving this way, better get an early start on the tranny an rear, about 2pm the heat index gets right around here...
Same here. It'll be cool til like 1 then you start frying like an egg. Even though I enjoy how summer gives me more time to work, I look forward to it cooling off

Since it's hotter out than a blue blaze in hell, figure I'll work in the shade today and scrap off some undercoating... I'll get everything cleaned up and painted and ready for the spring re-location, sub-frame connectors and fuel cell...

sorry to get off topic for a bit but this was discussed on this thread and look what just came up for sale up in my neck of the woods. Hmmmmmmmm can you say Bob Falfa/Two lane Blacktop clone?

That '55 will sell quick!!! Gassers ain't cheap, especially 55's.... I'd ask 15K for it just lookin' at those two pics...

Doesnt look like much, but I scraped my brains out today... I'm going over every inch of her top to bottom...

-
Back