NOT a Ford guy but!!!!

-

AJ71DUSTER

Reaction score
My father inlaw die a year ago and he live in Hamlton Al. after all the fighting die down my wife recieved his 1968 Ford 100 short box.her step brother made sure that she got it. he trailered the truck from Al to Mi just for the gas money. when we got the truck someone had already stole the manual trans and the driver side Exhaust manifold off from it.so the engine was set up tighter than a drum so I pull the engine and found water in the oil pan.so I'm thinking the blocks junk, we did think that it was the org 289 but found the tag on the engine it said 302 C 71, so we call the step brother and he thinks that he found the org 289 in a barn. so now i have a 1971 302 2br carb.Maybe junk block so what do I do with the parts left from the engine? are they worth anything? to someone? i don't know anything about fords. We do plan on restoring this truck in time,My wife still has a very hard time looking at it.he was a very good old boy. and I say that with all the respect that I have.

You'd be surprised how much an engine block can take, and still be brought back. The 289 is probably the original, and more desirable, engine, and you should try to get it.

The 302 is probably still salvageable, though it might cost more than you're willing to spend to have it disassembled and have the block thoroughly cleaned and the water jackets and oil galleries boiled out.

A '68 F100 shourt bed is a fairly desirable truck in the Ford ranks and in the general
hotrodding scene. It's definitely worth a resto.

Hope you find the time and the money to bring this one back.

Looks like a 289 was not available in 1968.

Now that IS odd. My 2 Mustangs (1967 and 1968) both had 289's. Iwonder why it wouldn't be available in a half ton pick up?

You reckon the engine that's in the truck is a 390? If so, it's even a better find!

Now that IS odd. My 2 Mustangs (1967 and 1968) both had 289's. Iwonder why it wouldn't be available in a half ton pick up?

You reckon the engine that's in the truck is a 390? If so, it's even a better find!

Could be a sm. blk. in it now? After all this time and the fact that the trans. is gone it's hard to tell where they were going with it. I hope we get a report on the vin.#, i'm curious also. Maybe some pics too:D.

68 was the channge over year from 289 to 302. Early vs late.

Here is the Vin number off Driver side door plate F10ACD19955 115 A F100 J 81 C09
05000 121 3800 65. would like to get the 289 out of the barn but wife having trouble going back she said mybe next year, brother in-law said he would keep the 289 for us.

70DARTMIKE thanks for the link.also thanks to you OldmanRick for the lnk also

I will post pic'c in a few min's

F10 = F100
A= 240 Six Cylinder
C= Built in Ontario Canada
D19955 Built in April 1968

Any Ford Windsor (260, 289, 302, 351w) or Cleavland (351c) will bolt up motor mount and bell housingwise to a 240 or 300 six cylinder. The trans was likely a t-18 truck 4 speed or the 3 speed version of a top loader. You can swap pretty much anything into it with the correct frame mounts for FE (360, 390, 427, 428) and 385 (429 and 460) will bolt in too, with the proper transmissions bell. The frames for I think 1964 to 1979 were the same. If you want, the disc brakes and power steering from a newer 70's truck will bolt on.

From the pics it looks to be a 3 on the tree.

Oh and be happy that the drivers floor board isn't rotted away.

A popular swap is a 5.0 and t5 from a mustang. Some just take a newer Lincoln DOHC 4.6 and front sub frame and graph it on for that "in the weeds look".

Any engine will work, '68 they were coming out w/the 302. IMO the 289 is the more desireable but harder to find parts for. If you were closer I'd be interested in either or for another of my projects. You wont have any trouble getting rid of anything!!! A very desirable truck you have & good luck w/the resto.

From the pics it looks to be a 3 on the tree.

Oh and be happy that the drivers floor board isn't rotted away.

A popular swap is a 5.0 and t5 from a mustang. Some just take a newer Lincoln DOHC 4.6 and front sub frame and graph it on for that "in the weeds look".

Thanks for all your info. yes it has 3 on the tree. i do have a engine setting in front of the truck. it's a 1989 460 with an auto trans this engine came out of a motor home that my dad bought new. it has around 38K on the engine not sure I want to go that way or not,it was free.:cheers:
this truck is very clean for it's age.

Thanks for all your info. yes it has 3 on the tree. i do have a engine setting in front of the truck. it's a 1989 460 with an auto trans this engine came out of a motor home that my dad bought new. it has around 38K on the engine not sure I want to go that way or not,it was free.:cheers:
this truck is very clean for it's age.

Go with the 460. By 1988 they were EFI accept in large chassis. If it is a carb motor your good to go, it not, let me know and I tell you the difference between the two and if you want to add some poop to it. I can point you in the right direction for information.

Go with the 460. By 1988 they were EFI accept in large chassis. If it is a carb motor your good to go, it not, let me know and I tell you the difference between the two and if you want to add some poop to it. I can point you in the right direction for information.

Yea its an EFI motor i have all of the wire harness and CPU,I will need alot of help, I think that I will change it to a carb engine just to make it easier , I will PM you if you don't minded when i get to that point of the resto. 1 more ? this 460 has external oil cooler is that normal? like i said I know nothing about Fords.

Several years back, late 80s, my brother had a 66 F100 shortbed. The six cylinder went bad, so he swapped a 360 and 727 into it. He used Mopar mounts, and said they were a bolt in. Also stated trans crossmember was not an issue, and that the truck could easily be put back to stock. He used this as his wood hauler and daily driver for several years, then bought an 80s Dodge. Sold the Ford without drivetrain to a guy who was going to restore it.

I have a 68 my self all fixed up. when i got mine it had a 300 inline six with a 3sp on the column shifter and with overdrive witch you pull a lever to to get that .070: ratio you can find out what motor it had by the vin number if not by the horspower rating it has on the tag on the drivers door. That's if it visible. A good up grade on those trucks is power steering cause the manul box sucks!

Yea its an EFI motor i have all of the wire harness and CPU,I will need alot of help, I think that I will change it to a carb engine just to make it easier , I will PM you if you don't minded when i get to that point of the resto. 1 more ? this 460 has external oil cooler is that normal? like i said I know nothing about Fords.

PM me all you want, I'll help a brother out!

The EFI motors have different heads that the carb ones. The intake ports are smaller, round and raised, same with the exhaust accept they are more square, so the only manifolds and intake that will work are the EFI ones. That said, you can take the EFI intake, which is a dual plane and on par with a Performer intake, plug the injector bungs and make/buy an adapter to put a carb on it and use EFI manifolds or see if some of the headers available will fit. Your 89 motor will have a D9 (1979) block, it is external balance. These blocks have deeper skirts and are good for stokers up to 545cid. No 460 came with a roller cam. EFI valve covers are different too.

A good site to look at and do a ton of reading:

www.460ford.com

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

I just got my 460 set in and should be firing it this weekend. A my mild build will net 425hp and about 500ft/lbs with ported factory Iron heads.

this 460 has external oil cooler is that normal? like i said I know nothing about Fords.

Lots of the 460 truck motors had external oil coolers. They're actually pretty nice units, with AN fittings and all.

X2 on dano's advice to go to a carb setup. I stuck with EFI on my 521 stroker build, and the heads/intake were definitely the bottleneck in the engine's breathing (not to mention the frustration and cost of tuning it).

Nice truck by the way. It makes me miss my '70 F100.

Scott

Attachments

• Dsc00042-1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 168
Oh yea, forgot about the oil cooler. There are two types.

There is one the has an external cooler like an auto cooler than plumbs into the 90deg oil filter adapter. Basically and air to oil cooler.

The other has a "box" built into the adapter that uses the lower radiator hose to cool the oil. These are known to rot and get coolant into the oil or vise verse. I have one of these and didn't use it.

-
Back