One last try.....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
:protest: You know that point in a project where it has just pi**ed you off enough :banghead: where you are about ready to get the cutters out and just start cutting the harness out? :wack: Today is the day. Between a cobbled harness and the manufactures absolute lack of support if the bike cuts out on the test ride today I will be taking the cable cutters and starting over. The power module came from ......... :finga: A couple of unanswered phone calls/emails later I am convinced they are not going to follow thru with the manual that would explain what the diagnostic LEDS actually tell you.

All the connections are tight. No ground issues. Bike will be cruising along and die. If the starter spins it will restart. Power comes form a circuit breaker to the kill switch. When the switch is on it sends power to the starter button and the coils. What I think is happening is the circuit breaker is tripping taking the power off of the starter/ignition systems. Trouble is by the time I get stopped and get the test light out and hooked up it will restart. So I wired an un-used LED in the instrument cluster to the power side of the coils and ground. If it dies and the LED goes out my suspicions will be confirmed. And if it does die I will be getting the cable cutters out when I get home to remove the harness. Will need a main breaker, 3 smaller circuit breakers and a starter relay.....

Will it or has it ever just shut down/quit running while it is just setting on the kick stand Ink ?

Frustration!!! :glasses7: Heck yea I have been there before :banghead: I took the time to help a friend install a 351 ford engine in a friggen 70 mustangs :violent1::banghead: and forgot to put that stupid spacer ring between the block and trans :eek:ops::banghead: Yes it was a standard trans!!

If your suspicions are correct then why not bypass the circuit breaker in question and go for a test run. If it doesn't cut out then replace the breaker.

Or am I missin' sumpthin'?

Between a cobbled harness and the manufactures absolute lack of support.....

I would try and see if that power module is failing intermittantly. Also, "cobbled harness"? That doesn't sound too good. I can't stand running a power module, if I can help it. Seems like a perfect way to have you stranded out somewhere....I just like relays.

Sounds like a car I had once. Coil would heat up car would die let cool down 10-15 mins. Good to go again. Just a thought. GL hope you track down the problem...

Not knowing the circuit or layout........................

Is the breaker(s) mounted near heat?

Can you temporarily cobble in a replacement?

Is it possible the alternator is overcharging or a short causing the breaker to trip?

I'm not sure I'd bypass it--you might end up with a smoking mess instead of just a cobbled one

Is it possible the alternator is overcharging or a short causing the breaker to trip?

I'm not sure I'd bypass it--you might end up with a smoking mess instead of just a cobbled one
:cheers: is there anything you can't figure out :thumleft: I was thinking vibration in my post, I did not think of heat and a overcharging magneto/alternator.. Good call :thumleft:

Well, if he is gonna hack it out anyway.
Good one :D I bet the wires would find something to melt threw if
he did :D

I hope we hear back soon from Ink, and he is not looking for a hammer :D
JJ Ink, I hope this gets figured out soon :smile:

If your suspicions are correct then why not bypass the circuit breaker in question and go for a test run. If it doesn't cut out then replace the breaker.

Or am I missin' sumpthin'?

Would be difficult to bypass it. If I was going to get that far into it might as well just toss the module in the trash and start over. The circuit breakers are epoxied into the power module.....

I would try and see if that power module is failing intermittantly. Also, "cobbled harness"? That doesn't sound too good. I can't stand running a power module, if I can help it. Seems like a perfect way to have you stranded out somewhere....I just like relays.

Not a fan of the thing neither which is why over next winter I am going to rewire it.......

Sounds like a car I had once. Coil would heat up car would die let cool down 10-15 mins. Good to go again. Just a thought. GL hope you track down the problem...

This was one of my fears as well. Luckily I have another set of 3 ohm coils.....

It is not near the exhaust. It is in the same spot it always has been and have never had this particular problem to now....more below....

And that's something I had not. Forgot, fer a second, we're talking about a Harley

First milestone has been reached, I got to put gas in it at a pump instead of out of a can. Rode to the edge of Spokane & back (70 miles or so) with out a stumble, other than a very sore clutch hand (damn carpal tunnel surgery) with no troubles what-so-ever. Bike ran like it used to, ton of grunt and smooth once up to speed. When I tore it apart after getting stuck the other day I did find one slightly loose connection. Hopefully that was all it was. Going to go out later, if my hand will let me, if not tomorrow and go thru the farmers fields to get to town. Want to put a couple of hundred miles on it before I declare it fixed.....

Did you have this bike in Arizona? If so it must have been around the pos 8N tractor I sold a guy out there.

I did indeed. When I first got it it got loaded on a trailer 6 times in the the first month. Then it never stranded me, not for the lack of trying. And damn near every problem was related to this harness. I know I should of just replaced it before riding it. I will be alone for a couple of weeks in May, probably not going to ride it much while she is gone for fear of getting stranded. Very well might rewire it then.....Time will tell.....

My clutch saftey switch went out on me last Sunday. I had a pretty good idea what it was and a test light confirmed it.

Glad to hear you got it handled Doug. Hopefully it was just that one loose connection.

My clutch saftey switch went out on me last Sunday. I had a pretty good idea what it was and a test light confirmed it.

Glad to hear you got it handled Doug. Hopefully it was just that one loose connection.

Pretty sure it was......

-
Back