Oregon cam regrind cost?

-
Roller cams are a little more. Don't know about Oregon, as I use Jones.

Im about to start building a budget 360 magnum here pretty soon I'm won't go into that too much in this thread I plan on starting a engine build thread like I did on my last 360 when I get more of the details worked out. My question is for the people who have had a cam reground thru Oregon in the last year or so how much does it cost to have one reground? I've looked their site over and over and cannot find a price list. I know it would have to be cheaper than a new cam. I want to do a true budget build and gonna try to pinch pennies where I can I've read alot of good things about their regrinds and want to give it a try. Just curious on the cost. I don't want to call amd bother them months before I'm ready to ship it out. Thanks
Well I just got my LA roller back from Ken at Oregon two weeks ago. The cost to regrind my core was 219.00 plus shipping and tax. Ken is 77 yrs. old, so it will take a month to get done, He is a Great guy to talk to and I highly recommend him, I've had several done by him,( all rollers.) Shipping was 25.00 one way from WI. So there you have it, the latest pricing. I don't know where these guys saying it's $75-100 are living?? maybe 10 years ago?

Well I just got my LA roller back from Ken at Oregon two weeks ago. The cost to regrind my core was 219.00 plus shipping and tax. Ken is 77 yrs. old, so it will take a month to get done, He is a Great guy to talk to and I highly recommend him, I've had several done by him,( all rollers.) Shipping was 25.00 one way from WI. So there you have it, the latest pricing. I don't know where these guys saying it's $75-100 are living?? maybe 10 years ago?
A flat tappet is what he told me to regrind using my core.

1267BD30-AD0B-4405-9A05-84AD6D4577F7.jpeg

Got mine a few days ago. $219

Last edited:
Absolutely not
Yes it can. You need to talk to Ken about that. He can grind a flat tappet into a hydraulic roller and it will live fine with a melonized distributor drive gear.

I thought that it would. Do you know how much it changes it?
For LIFT, they can grind a lot off the base circle and you may need longer pushrods. But almost any duration can be ground.
Can a flat tappet core be reground for a roller?
A flat tappet cam has a taper to the lobe's nose that spins the lifter as it rubs past. Really, the whole lobe is tapered so the base circle still trys to spin the (Semi) flat slider lifter. The lifter face is also slightly convex tapered to help this spin.

A Roller lobe is flat without any taper so the wheel of the lifter can roll square and not spin.

A flat tappet is what he told me to regrind using my core.
First, Ken is an AWESOME guy and has been spot on with the recommendations he has made for the 4 cams he has ground for me - two were against what I thought I wanted & I'm SO happy I listened to him. For the last two, I just shut up & listened after giving him the engine specs.

Now, to the OP's question. You said..."It's a roller cam I'm reusing the original lifters." Then above you say he told you to regrind a hyd roller into a HFT? I'm just questioning your use of 'flat tappet' and that you're sure you & Ken are on the same page? Or are you saying Ken wants to regrind your HFT core into a hyd roller? Sorry, it's really late & I need some sleep.

First, Ken is an AWESOME guy and has been spot on with the recommendations he has made for the 4 cams he has ground for me - two were against what I thought I wanted & I'm SO happy I listened to him. For the last two, I just shut up & listened after giving him the engine specs.

Now, to the OP's question. You said..."It's a roller cam I'm reusing the original lifters." Then above you say he told you to regrind a hyd roller into a HFT? I'm just questioning your use of 'flat tappet' and that you're sure you & Ken are on the same page? Or are you saying Ken wants to regrind your HFT core into a hyd roller? Sorry, it's really late & I need some sleep.
That was someone else that said that about the hft cam. I'm haven't talked to them yet. I have 3 roller cams with matching roller lifters to choose from im not going to us a hft cam

Yeah I bet it is. Since rollers are out of my financial wheelhouse, I wasn't even thinkin about that. lol
i took me a moment and then i had the ah-ha moment when the dusty file drawer at the back of my head opened and said: hey dum-dums, after market rollers use all kinds different diameter wheels and that can affect lift and duration.

so yeah, makes sense that he'd spec it out with X sized wheel so that any question on the lift/duration numbers could be answered with what lifter is being run.

That was someone else that said that about the hft cam. I'm haven't talked to them yet. I have 3 roller cams with matching roller lifters to choose from im not going to us a hft cam
You're right. I went back & reread what I thought I read the first time. My apologies.

-
Back