Outboard question

-

volaredon

Reaction score
How hard is parts for 50s/ 60s Evinrude?
Need an engine gasket set, carb kit, and probably an impeller for a 53 fleetwin (7-1/2hp model 7512 ) and a fuel pump gasket, plus possibly a carb kit and impeller for a 63 18hp (model 18302 if I remember right)

There are several marine parts suppliers, I've forgotten which one is best, sometimes it comes down to "who has it." On CAVEAT!!!! Be careful of import parts. ignition coils are a big BIG problem. I recently bought some OEM OMC coils sold by Bombardier who is the "last" owner so to speak of what was OMC/ Johnson / Evinrude. Turns out the coils are the same piss green china junk sold on ebay. They are not worth a hoot. Somewhere there is a thread that I did testing them

So far as I know, there never was an official OEM carb kit, rather, individual parts. However is the carb is actually salvagable, I've found mostly that you can re-use all the parts, and the biggest replacement items for me have been the float bowl gasket and the packing for the needle valves. Another "must check" item is the seal on the high speed jet where it dips into the bottom of the bowl. On some/ most models that MUST be sealed, as the needle valve acts in the bowl, and if fuel leaks bast where the tube dips into that bottom well of the bowl, the needle will not be controlling the mixture.

Here's one

and

Pump impellers for the older older ones are kinda spotty, but I bet you can find one.

What I've found to be the biggest problems with most engines

All will need coils, points cleaned, and new condensers. I do not use OEM type condensers, rather electronic "orange drop" or other modern electronic caps

Likely plug wires, use WIRE core wires.

Clean the carb, often a bowl gasket, needle valve packing, and something to replace the main jet seal

New pump impeller ALWAYS

Check the lower unit. Try not to turn the engine over much, as water in the gearcase will separate. Keep the engine standing up. Open the lower plug and look for water. There's at least 8 ways for water to get into the gearcase of the older ones with the horizontal split on the case at the very bottom. Be wary of freeze damage

Try to check the engine for water intrusion. With the carb removed, shine a light and look where you can see into the far corners off the reed plate. Any visible corrosion, take the intake apart and inspect into the crank case. Inspect into the plug holes.

It is VERY easy to get water into the cylinders/ crankcase. ANY water remaining in the cooling system or lower leg, if the thing is put down horizontal, and especially if allowed to "tip" with the power head kinda low, water can run out of the cooling port where it enters the lower leg, and roll up into the exhaust ports and into the cylinders. I've had engines that were stored "on their backs" and rain, other/ etc got down through the carb float.

Rotate the engine with the plugs out. ANY roughness in the rotation, and also 'rock' it in both directions a few degrees, looking for play in the rod bearings---the newer otuboard will have needle bearing rod bearings and all of that, the rods, cylinder liners, needle bearings and crank journals, CAN RUST with the slightest amount of water in there.

I have NEVER found a really definative figure on compression. They must be close to equal, and I've got one engine that seems to run just fine, but showed only maybe 75??psi or so compression.

DO NOT set the points by gap. Set the points to set the TIMING. If you need help with that I can give you some pointers. I have a timing tool for some engines, but there is a workaround, just a little more time, and a bit more clumsy

This is what the Bombardier coils looked like I bought off ebay, supposedly the real deal. Just like the china ones they put out a FRACTION of the spark energy of good ones

OMCcoil.jpg

Found it. Here is the thread where I'm whining about junk coils

I've been thru the ignition on these things albeit 10 years ago, neither has seen water since. If things play out I may need 2x the parts for the fleetwin.
I have a line on my dad's which is a twin to mine.

On the 63 18hp I have never been able to pull that thing over with the pull start, even in the 80s when I was 18-20 yo and the strongest I ever have been.
Now in mid to late 50s, bad shoulder, no way I'm pull starting that thing.

. I have to use the electric one. But it has always cranked up easily with barely touching the starter button.
I once had an early 80s 25hp Johnson that I could pull start easier.
Nother thing on the '63
Ever since Dad got that one in the 80s with a cracked skeg, I have not been able to stop that thing from taking on water in the gear case. Different skegs, new seals more than once, I think if I get that one going u am gonna look for a whole nother lower unit, I think there's an issue with matching machine work between lower gearcase and skeg. Kinda like mixing rod caps on a different block on a car engine sort of thing...

Any tricks? I've had skegs off and lower units apart on other engines over the years without issue but "this one" has always been a problem.
Because of that it has been used quite minimally and I know it's been 15+ years since it's been out of the shed
What years and hp models would interchange with that engine for a while different lower unit?

Don't count me as an expert on gearcases, some random thoughts

On the older ones with the horizontal split on the very lower half, as I said, there is at least 8 ways to get water in, and a machining misfit between the two could be an issue I guess

1,2--the filler and drain plugs
3...the little screw in the very bottom that holds the shifter fork in place
4...The rubbe snake seal around the split
5....The O ring around the boss holding the prop shaft bushing and seal
6--the prop shaft seal and if you want to count the lip and outer seal ring separate, that's two instead of one LOL
7---the shift shaft seal
8---the prop shaft seal
Examine both prop shaft and shift shaft for roughness and corrosion.

There's a fitting you can buy or it comes with the pump style gearcase oilers that can be used to pressure and or vacuum test the gearcase, so you can put a few pounds of air in there---I use 5--8, and dump the thing in a tub and look for bubbles
With vacuum, pump up a vacuum and look for gauge movement.

Someone online suggested "the right stuff" gasket seal for the split case seals. Part of the problem is china parts. I've ordered china carb float bowl gaskets that were about 20% !!!!! of the thickness of the originals. If you are VERY careful, you can often re-use those.

I don't know if you are aware, some models of the smaller, older engines do not have the oval/ rectangular access plate to disconnect the shift shaft, some of those you can disconnect by partially dropping the gearbox, and with the shifter in ?? R I think, you can get to it, but other models, you MUST pull the power-head out of the upper leg. THAT is PITA, because you must burn that base gasket. It is complicated, I cannot imagine trying it with RTV or other filler

You may know this, the gearboxes can freeze and break. Be darn sure that in the fall, before cold weather, you either check them or drain them and refill. As I said earlier, if you can store it vertically, un rotated for a time, the water will separate and be easy to see

I am recently turned 76. I can still crank up through an 18/ 20 but I have to use both hands and "get up on it." The 35's are what are tough. They generally have a poor compression release, but they don't seem to work well and often don't work at all.

Both my shoulder rotators have been trashed in separate injuries, and likely will never be fixed. I must be VERY careful. I can NOT crank those annoying little weed eaters. They "snap" the rope when they fire and I just hurt BAD after that

The 7-1/2s have a clutch rod that protrudes above the gas tank and starter , just says "clutch" and they spin 360* in their mount, you have to spin them around 180* for "reverse"
I know the next year newer they changed that engine a lot, 54 they went to remote tank and I believe actually got a reverse gear. I think it was ~54-58 were quite similar to each other but we're very different from the '51-53 models of that engine that I'm more familiar with.
A guy I know and used to work with has(had?) a '57 version which I have done some work on probably 30 years ago, had to replace the coils.
I've so far never had to buy a coil, been able to find good originals that weren't cracked up.
I've never had any, but just on looks alone, I liked the late 50s Johnson's better than the Evinrude. Though I'm pretty sure they were the same under those covers.

If you can find OEM coils that have been replaced (don't know when they were made) they are almost always OK. There has been discussion, but I've never seen a good workable procedure--to recoat the cracked coils with epoxy. In testing, I've found a few cracked open coils that had been in dry storage, and tested really well.

J / & E are both same engines. Gale made engines are "pretty much" the same but there are differences. Many Gale made had fuel pumps before J/E. Research/ guinea pigs maybe? And some of the Buccaneer / Wards engines had integral fuel tanks where J/E never did--12hp EG

You are probably aware that there are ways to convert the old 2-hose pressure tank systems to fuel pumps.

Yup.i knew that the old pressure type tank like my buddy's '57 could be converted to the fuel pump style. .mine and Dad's '53s both have a top mount integrated fuel tank, about a gallon or slightly more.

My Mom is in bad shape, my brother's are going thru things and have a dumpster there. I was asked if there's anything I wanted from there and Dad's old 7-1/2 and the '70 115 are the only things I spoke for. I'm the last one to have run either, the 115 was last started in 97, the 7-1/2 was not long after that, both were last run til their carbs were stone empty, I'm thinking I could put gas and water to with and they should both fire right up without much hesitation. Neither one has been wet, inside or outside, since I last ran them. The last 2-3 times that dad's 7-1/2 has been run it's been in a barrel just to let it run. My 7&1/2 power head is in pieces. I went to overhaul it and for some reason the pistons seemed to hit something inside the block when I put the new rings on the pistons slid them in and bolted them to the crank.
The last time they were on the back of a boat they were in the back of the same boat both running as twins.

Last edited:
That certainly could be. The breaker points might get a little corroded, on the older one, so be ready to clean them up. Condensers are ALWAYS suspect. Regardless of what the internet says, there is no way to test them without a high voltage (at least 100V) cap tester for leakage, and one that also tests for capacitance. As I said earlier, I do not use automotive or oem type caps. I use electronic plastic film or orange drop caps. 200V or more rating

I've often suspected, that on the breakerless CD ones, that sometimes the capacitor goes bad and must be reformed. They are in the CD box, so you can't--at least not easily--change them. If you get no spark you might pull the plugs, toss some oil in the cylinders and crank it 10-20 seconds and see if it starts to spark. I had a 74 50hp that mysteriously had no spark, and started diagnosis. Sometime into that it suddenly started working

The last 50hp I messed with was a '59 Evinrude starflite 4 cylinder. Ran great but too light of HP for the boat we had it on. We bought the 115 to replace it for a few more ballz but Dad died, we never got it mounted. If I get it id like to convert that 115 to power tilt/ trim if possible but that one's a bit down the project path.

LOL I cannot imagine dealing something that big without power tilt/ trim. I bought one of those aftermarket units for my boat. It does work but they are a POS Completely poorly engineered. Because of the way the unitized (china?) hydraulic unit works, the leverage is all wrong. Also the engine prop depth is not the same for a bolt on/ clamp on. The thing is, I sometimes change engines as I have other outboards. You must use a 2" riser to get the clamp on engine to fit, unbolt and lower the tilt unit by that amount.

I believe it is this one and it is rated for 130hp

I actually have a couple of tilt/ trim units off outboards and have been seriously considering reworking them to allow "just" the unit to be mounted, and then an outboard in turn, either clamp or bolt on, to be mounted to that. I am getting old and tired. it takes time effort and money. I am getting short of all three.

I see a couple of trim/tilt units on places like CL but listed for newer versions of this engine. I wonder how interchangeable they are between years?

Before I found my tilt/trim unit for my 90 Chrysler, I made a lever to tilt it. So much easier with it. Then. too, you'd be fairly stretched to reach the tilt lock.
1718197863582.png

I recently got a parts breakdown from egag for the 7-1/2hp. I found the original pn for the impellers. Went back to egag and searched for it. Several hits, don't know how one guy thinks he can get $58 for the same NOS OEM impeller as another seller had for $8. For $8 ea, I bought all 3 that guy had.
There was one guy who was $44 but that was a kit with the housing and the plate under the impeller so at least it was more than just the rubber octopus itself for the extra $$$$ he wanted....
Seems that octopus fits a lot of engines.

I was on "I boats" forum years ago, tried getting back in and couldn't remember the PW, in waiting for the email they said they sent to reset....
Tried the username I use everywhere besides here and the /6 forum, wanted to register fresh. It said "username must be unique. Pick something else. We already have a member by that name".

Isn't there some sort of recovery, like them sending something to your email? I have not been on there in months, but I am also a member

Yeah I did that and a couple of hours later I'm still waiting for what they were gonna send me. Usually most sites it's almost instant

I boats never did get back to me.

It's official now that '53, 7-1/2hp fleetwin and the '70 model 115 "starflite" are now mine. And I see an ad on market place for another fleetwin identical to it, same year. Though a lil worse for wear than Dad's.I hate ads that say "make offer" without any sort of number by seller as a guide or idea of what range they're at least hoping for... I've been having a complete power head for "my" original fleetwin on my egag watch list for a while now. But depends on what becomes of this one on market place in the next town I may put the parts that theirs is missing (mainly side covers, more decorative t functional) on from mine and just keep mine as "parts for it and dad's. I actually think I have most of 2 of them in the shed in pieces.
I Remember having Dad's fleetwin and mine on the back of the same boat together both running as "twins" and separate. And mine just didn't have nearly the power that dads did so I decided to get rings and gaskets for it and overhaul it. But when I went to reassemble it something "hit" (interference) that didn't originally, and it wouldn't spin all the way around. I had had that thing apart a few times to try and figure out why. I pulled the plugs on dads to make sure I had the piston dome facing the right way and everything, and eventually gave up on it ... But since it became apparent that dads was finally gonna be mine I started looking into it again. Which was why I've been watching that other power head on egag.

On another note I've been also looking for another lower unit for the 18hp. I give up trying to get the original one to stop taking on water.
Of this one plus the ones listed in my previous post dads 7&1/2 isn't going anywhere. But once I get the others going again they might end up being listed for sale next year. I've got a line on a complete intact lower unit on egag, for the 18hp. I have made an offer for one I see listed. That one runs too good to just dump and as many years as we have had it in our family and it hasn't been run (over 2/3 of its life) I have to think it can't have many hours on it from new. When I did last run it it had more ballz than it's 18hp rating would have me believe it would.

I do need to find a seal kit for that '63, 18hp. Or is everything gonna have to be bought as individual parts?

-
Back