Percolation? Heat soak? Don't drive during summer??

-
You dont need to buy a fuel pressure gauge most auto parts store will loan you one. Fuel pressure is the basis for any type of fuel system trouble shooting, sure there are all kinds of wife's tale's and home cooked options to follow and perform. I prefer to take a more stepped scientific approach by using real fancy tools like gauges and meters LOL
Disagree all you what I still want to know want the fuel pressure and possible the fuel flow rate when the OP's **** is hot.

AJ as far as the fuel issue I think we are on the same page just attacking it from 2 different angles - same result.
Plane and simple if there is no fuel in the carb it is no going to run.
I to do not measure fuel pressure at idle.
Hell it could be both fuel and ignition, stranger things have happened.
Thank you for giving me permission to disagree all I want...:D...
At your service....:D...
He's running an old came with the car fuel pump... Without having to rent anything buy anyting unplugged tubes or do any of that stuff he can simply throw a couple tablespoons of lawn mower gas in... that's not old wives tales that's just simple A1A car knowledge...:rolleyes:...

It IS running out of fuel. Why it takes 4 hours to restart I can’t say, but when it boils the fuel out the carb is empty. It takes a bit to get the bowls filled up.

Do a google search on those carbs. It’s not a secret. You keep saying it’s cool, but that’s just WRONG. It can’t be. It may not be 400 degrees, but it’s hot enough to boil the fuel off.

I’ve had it happen at stop lights, waiting for damn train and once, the last straw with this one was a long line of traffic last year for road construction and it quit twice on me.

It’s boiling the fuel out of it.

I mean, before I added the spacer i couldn't touch the carb after running it, not i can grab that sucker when it dies and its barely hot, same with the fuel lines near it...

I'll see about adding a shield below it though...

He's running an old came with the car fuel pump... Without having to rent anything buy anyting unplugged tubes or do any of that stuff he can simply throw a couple tablespoons of lawn mower gas in... that's not old wives tales that's just simple A1A car knowledge...:rolleyes:...
You're welcome
Thanks for the great retort.
I am just surprised you would spend your A1A knowledge car expertise on such a trivial issue.

Rusty,what makes you think he needs a coil? Ima thinking you need more sleep.
I mean OP could practically weld with the one he's got. I have never seen that behavior but coil would not be on my list of things to change, nor would an amp. I'd be looking into what could be telling the amp to fire like that, and of course I would be disconnecting the tach pronto, as others have suggested.

Since the engine starts and runs normally, Ima thinking the amp is being triggered by something else.

Well for one, they're cheap. Secondly, if that thing is charging like that when it's not supposed to, that's taking a lot of life out of it, even if it still "works". Call it a preemptive strike. I realize "something else" is probably causing it, sure, but it's gotta be taking its toll on the coil. So since they don't break the bank, my advice it throw it in the ditch.

hush up fool.

hush up fool.
Screenshot_20200903-161848.png

This is my favorite Fred Sanford clip. I used to love watchin that show with Daddy when he was here.

At the risk of thread derailment (which by the way I've never ever done or been part of...)
My favorite episode was when Grady was growing wild parsley and made a big salad and gave it to Hoppy & Smitty...
This was a pretty funny seen before that happened with Rollo LOL... It's my belief he had the right idea LOL...

Well for one, they're cheap. Secondly, if that thing is charging like that when it's not supposed to, that's taking a lot of life out of it, even if it still "works". Call it a preemptive strike. I realize "something else" is probably causing it, sure, but it's gotta be taking its toll on the coil. So since they don't break the bank, my advice it throw it in the ditch.

This could has maybe... 20 miles on it... since i started having this stupid issue. the old coil got about 400 miles last year with me driving it. But I agree, I try to replace things before breaking or when broken... Just right now I can't spent monies on the car because it went all to my exams... which sucks. The purple car is way more fun to spend money on than a couple of tests and licenses. I mean 5k could buy a bad *** stroker kit... that still would die after idling for 15-20 minutes... but at least I could say I had a stroker haha.

Last edited:
I got home late today so didn't mess with the car.. had to help out with the kiddos.

Tomorrow if I get home earlier my plan is to. Buy a little gas to out in a water bottle and test the fuel boiling out issue. I also didn't grab a ballast but I thibk in going to order the Jegs HiRev ignition kit with a new box, resistor and some wires (where ever the hell those go). Ill also take off the tach and see if that is causing the premature spazzing of the coil. Then... if all else fails... kill it with fire. :elmer:

Think the coil is getting hot and shutting it down ,95percent sure that’s what was wrong with my daughters car only 30 or 40 $ and wouldn’t be bad to have a spare

Another weird recollection which may be of use to helping solve the problem.

When I first got the car put back together, I actually did plenty of 30-45 minute drives down the back streets while trying to adjust my kickdown and throttle cable. I never stalled, got a little hot from all the stop and go but the car never died on me... it wasnt until trying to do the tideous things like go get donuts, go get slurpees, burger King and idle in the garage... thats when it decided to start stalling out...

Think the coil is getting hot and shutting it down ,95percent sure that’s what was wrong with my daughters car only 30 or 40 $ and wouldn’t be bad to have a spare

I have the brand new one, and the old one... so maybe if I figure out why the coil is prematire igniting I can help keep it slightly cooler, it only does that weird thing when the car is in the on position and not cranking over.

This could has maybe... 20 miles on it... since i started having this stupid issue. the old coil got about 400 miles last year with me driving it. But I agree, I try to replace things before breaking or when broken... Just right now I can't spent monies on the car because it went all to my exams... which sucks. The purple car is way more fun to spend money on than a couple of tests and licenses. I mean 5k could buy a bad *** stroker kit... that still would die after idling for 15-20 minutes... but at least I could say I had a stroker haha.

Lemmie look around. I thought I had an NOS Standard LX101 ignition box somewhere. If I can find it, I'll send it to you.

so you thinking after it runs for 15 minutes with a big rush of gas just floods in there and kills the car? That would be a first for me... but then after restarts drives fine for another little while till it gets too hot then a big rush of gas comes in and floods it...:realcrazy:...
i have no idea what's happening, but a stuck float could do that, so sure, why not... :lol:

If the fuel is boiling like you think look into the fuel filter I mentioned before it helps with that problem.

so anytime there's a problem it only happens once? cool :thumbsup:
I bet he puts gas in the carb and it still doesn't fire... I'm 90% sure this probably isn't any kind of fuel delivery problem..
I could be wrong, but probably not...

I bet he puts gas in the carb and it still doesn't fire... I'm 90% sure this probably isn't any kind of fuel delivery problem..
I could be wrong, but probably not...
That's easy to check..let it heat up till it dies then put a light on the plug wires no light no spark. I havent read the whole tread but my money is on the fuel delivery. I may be wrong but probably not haha

I went out and looked. I did not see the ignition box. I'll look tomorrow in the day. Kitty thinks I gave it to someone local to help them, but I don't remember doing that. She may be right though.

-
Back