Post up your cheap paint jobs!

-
That's it! I started stripping an extra decklid, gonna try the brushed/rolled Rustoleum paint! Can't hurt, hell I may end up surprised. In which case look out, I'll do the whole car!

This thread it making me horny:sign10::tongue1: lol...so many nice cars...car ****...car ****...and the paint jobs, just amazing guys, just amazing:burnout:

This thread it making me horny:sign10::tongue1: lol...so many nice cars...car ****...car ****...and the paint jobs, just amazing guys, just amazing:burnout:

Nice to see it revived again.. The cost of cash ÷ time and efforts = learning your skills & judgment. Time is expensive, to body shops. Average hourly rates,were 60 to 105 last year,when I checked locally...

Nice to see it revived again.. The cost of cash ÷ time and efforts = learning your skills & judgment. Time is expensive, to body shops. Average hourly rates,were 60 to 105 last year,when I checked locally...

I couldn't agree more... The days of me spending $5k on paint job are over... I need to roll my sleeves up and get my *** to work...this thread is inspiring! Thank you all!:cheers:

You can see my Duster on post 12 to this thread. What the pics do not show (outside of the work & time involved) are perhaps some unbiased opinions of what it looks like "close up".
At todays car show, a best in class. There were "3" cars in the Mopar class...

Two years ago, a short while after completion, a "First Ladies Choice". There were about 125 cars in attendance.

Also in 2012, a "Top 10". There were about 125 cars at this show also.

In 2013 , a "Best Old Skool", about 50 cars at that show:

And last year at a Veteran's Day show, a "Sponsor's Choice". About 100-125 cars there to pick from:

Well, the captions were supposed to go between the pics. But you get the idea. There won't be many more car shows. Cruise in's, yes; but probably not many more car shows. I am driving it more now.
So, cheap can look good. It's in the prep and (in my case) a lot of wet sanding between coats.
Get to work!
C

View attachment DSC01808.jpg

View attachment DSC01802.jpg

View attachment DSC01806.jpg

View attachment DSC01804.jpg

View attachment DSC01807.jpg

Also glad to see it revived. The experts here will decry it but I'm going with the Dupli-Color Paint shop series paint on mine. I will be thrilled to death with a 10 footer. I am spending a lot of time on prep in order to get it as nice as possible.

Plastidip. 200 bucks total. Can change any week If feel like it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 476
Cool. How well does it survive washing, especially bug removal?

Calvin, that is GREAT! You just keep rackin um up.

$299 after $100 off coupon! One-Day circa 1994.....Sunburst Silver. Shot straight over original copper, I think they just roughed it up 'cause its flaking a little on the underbody and copper is right under it. But Im still happy with it!
Image16.jpg

Im doing my Mazda with 4 lbs of bondo, a HF purple gun, a craftsman compressor and some $50/gallon Ebay paint. What could it hurt?
$%28KGrHqFHJBsFGznKheugBR1HinFfT!~~60_12.JPG

Has anybody brush painted their engine with Rustoleum or something similar? Will it hold up to the heat and fluids?

Has anybody brush painted their engine with Rustoleum or something similar? Will it hold up to the heat and fluids?

A acrylic enamel with a catalyst, holds up well here. That Rustoleum is a slow flowing oil base,I wouldn't trust it to engine block heat.

Pics of my vega. Painted it when i was 16. Put it in the shop friday night after school and had it ready for school monday morning, Went from grey primer to this..

paint was free, Local paint shop mixed a certain red the wrong color. I have a friend that works there.

S5001614.jpg

S5001618.jpg

Nice Vega! I had two V8 Vega's a 73 and 76. The 76 I had painted by Maaco, their Ambassador paint job. I had no money, and the painter did the door jambs for free, of course he also painted half my dashboard, but it looked good!..lol

.... I had no money, and the painter did the door jambs for free, of course he also painted half my dashboard, but it looked good!..lol

LOL, indeed. A buddy of mine from HS got his car painted at Earl Scheib. "I'll paint any car for $99.95." Indeed they did. He took his car in for a dark green metallic. Masking the glass, lights, mirror, door handles, and bumper, the car got "painted". The car looked like a pickle. The paint had runs in it and the first time he drove it in the rain, the cheap paint started flaking off.

I helped him clean the paint out of lock cylinders that had not been masked. IIRC, Scheib died in the 90s and the business folded in the following decade.

The funny part is that his dad ran a body shop. He showed us what was wrong with the Scheib job. He told his son. "This is why I charge what I do." Tommy worked for his dad all summer. Three weeks before school took back in, Tommy and his dad prepped and shot the 55 Bowtie in a two-tone metallic green.

Here's my MAACO special from a few years back. I did some of the prep work, which may have forced their hand to be more attentive to their prep. The paint job ran about $500.00 and was MAACO's E5 (per body tag) in a single stage urethane/clearcoat. The car was parked under a canopy and washed regularly. Paint held up well til I sold it last June. I haven't seen the car since I sold it, so there's no telling how the paint is doing under new stewardship.

Attachments

• IMG_6670s.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_5189s.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_5188s.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_5176s.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_5172s.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_5170s.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 381
A acrylic enamel with a catalyst, holds up well here. That Rustoleum is a slow flowing oil base,I wouldn't trust it to engine block heat.

I painted mine with Rustoleum Industrial Red (from a quart can, thinned, HVLP gun, over SEM etch primer).

It is holding up very well except on the intake, in the exhaust crossover area. I do not have my exhaust crossover blocked.

Please don't shoot me cuz it's a chebby.. Put this thing back together for a buddy while he was stationed in Germany. He had JD implement paint. Me and a friend reassembled it and shot paint in a 2 car garage. Looked decent from 20 feet.

I'd have to call my dumb *** brother in law about cheap paint jobs and see if he has any pics. He has always insisted on using Earl Sheib or Maaco. He Cant figure out why he can't win a trophy!! LOL. Oh...he is a FORD guy !!

I will post a follow up to my earlier posts. Have been on the road about 5 years now... I think about 16,000 miles.
My summer trip last year was to upstate NY and Canada, and then two trophies from a small car show last fall closer to home.
The paint is holding up well, but - when not driven it sits in the garage.
C

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

View attachment 1714947647

View attachment 1714947648

-
Back