Post up your cheap paint jobs!

-
my duster cost me a little over 600.00 in materials, ( all PPG-my cost ) I painted it myself in my own garage, after completing all the body work.

Attachments

• duster reference pic.s 115.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 2,022
  • duster reference pic.s 131.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,286
  • my duster 157 (Medium).jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,122
We are going with Hot Rod Flatz Sublime Green with a satin black hood. My son is going with the trans am racing theme [even tho they never used these] he saw a AAR cuda on the cover of my Hagertys mag. and decided to go with that,so it'll be lowered and suspension upgrades added, 4 wheel disks,interior is undecided at this time probly just install the stock panels/seats for now.

Here's my $250 76 Dart bought about 12 years ago. After a couple years of it sitting around I figured with a lil elbow grease and a bunch of spray bomb primer and paint (surprisingly little filler) it will buff right out!! lol

View attachment Dart2.jpg

View attachment Dart.jpg

View attachment Dart LS.jpg

View attachment 20060903 Dart LS.jpg

View attachment 20080519 026.jpg

Daily driver for the last 6 years with out too many issues.

View attachment Photo0459.jpg

It lloked ok so I tried my hand at a Shuttle! hahahahaha Just Kidding!

View attachment Redneck_Space_Shuttle.jpg

Cost me $60. The paint is implement paint from tractor supply. I sprayed it in my garage over a rattle can job that I scuffed up a little. It's just my trail toy so the only body work I did was replace rusty metal, I left the dents in it since it will just get more.

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

$1200. twenty foot car.

Attachments

• Dart003-1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Dart005.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 001 (2).jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,020
  • 005.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 988
  • 006.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,036
Did some patch work the car had the cheap yellow paint when I bought it so far that's three cans of rattle can primer

IMAG0044_zps4ae08a7b.jpg

IMAG0043_zps725f5fa3.jpg

wow... theres actually some decent looking paint here for low bucks..... I wont even say what mine cost... lol

-RPM

love the rustoleum, me and a buddy painted his 89 honda crx si with black rustoleum wet sanded buffed and cleared it and it looked amazing to be a cheapo spray job

Not counting bondo, primer or stripes; 2 gal. rustoleum, 2 qts. acetone and 1 gal. of cheap clear = $150
C

Sounds like the formula we are planning to use on the "24 Hours of LeMons" '88 Gran Fury cop car we are prepping out!

V-100 That's cool. I had an '88 Gran Fury cop car that I put many parts from into the Duster...
C

:wack:

Attachments

• Picture 327.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 939
  • Picture 326.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 942
Well here's my dilema...Want to put the tail stripe on the dart. Sticker $70.. paint ? I have a compressor but no spray gun. should I buy a spray gun and the paint to spray it, or do I rattle can it. If some one could tell my the steps I need to follow for paint it would be helpful. I'm thinking scuff the area paint light wet sand, 2nd coat? wet again? then clear wet? clear again? Any particular brands better? Will rattle hold up? Feel free to post away or pm me, please and thank you! These paint jobs look pretty amazing!

plumcrazydart...personally I'd would not paint the stripe on....I'd use a tape stripe. You don't have to worry about makin it the correct width, etc., and if you decied you don't like it a few years from now it's removeable, where as the paint is not. To install the tape stripe all you need is a rubber squeege ( usally supplied with the stripe) and a spray bottle with water, and a couple drops of liquid soap. No sanding your paint, like painting a stripe on will envolve. Jusy my opinion though....

Material here in the great white north is $$$$$$, Paint for this one was $2000.00 ish + primer,epoxy paper....

Attachments

• IMG00129-20110812-2059.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 923
Well here's my dilema...Want to put the tail stripe on the dart. Sticker $70.. paint ? I have a compressor but no spray gun. should I buy a spray gun and the paint to spray it, or do I rattle can it. If some one could tell my the steps I need to follow for paint it would be helpful. I'm thinking scuff the area paint light wet sand, 2nd coat? wet again? then clear wet? clear again? Any particular brands better? Will rattle hold up? Feel free to post away or pm me, please and thank you! These paint jobs look pretty amazing!

I wouldn't paint the stripe on either. Mine is vinyl. Got it ebay. Guy will custom cut any lettering you want , ithink it was $60 good quality. As far as spacing , I didn't want mine right on the tail so I moved it up the panel about 6".

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 913
Cost = free
I work in a bodyshop,but as we all know... nothing is for free. I'll be working every saturday to pay for the paint for the next 10 years... ha ha . Maybe I should have settled for the rattle can, eh!

Attachments

• DSCF3466.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1,117
We are going with Hot Rod Flatz Sublime Green with a satin black hood. My son is going with the trans am racing theme [even tho they never used these] he saw a AAR cuda on the cover of my Hagertys mag. and decided to go with that,so it'll be lowered and suspension upgrades added, 4 wheel disks,interior is undecided at this time probly just install the stock panels/seats for now.

I'm contemplating something flat or satin as well. Hope you'll post pics on this thread.

Here's my 1980 CJ-5 I traded for my Swinger.
2 scuff pads and 4 cans of Rust Tough satin black was all it took.
I wanted a cheap paint job so that I could go play around in the mud without worrying about scratches.

Attachments

• jeep 3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 637
  • jeep 2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 627
  • jeep.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 608
my friend Dave's `69.
rust repair, body work, and paint by me, mostly in the driveway.
Nason basecoat/clearcoat, Mazda blue.
$100 paint booth rental.
total cost in the $1000 range.

Attachments

• IMG_4105_1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 633
  • 4-20-14 Daves car 006_1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 638
  • 4-20-14 Daves car 008_1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 627
  • 4-20-14 Daves car 003_1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 636