Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
Well I'm trying to compete the metal work up so I can move on to mocking up the pedals, brakes, etc etc

The Duster firewall isn't smooth in a least bit, but that doesn't bother me.

However I did have to cut the stock AC area out as I needed this area flat for the Vintage Air evaporator to sit against the firewall.

I marked the lines and cut it out.
IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

You can also see in the above picture the gas pedal area needed to cut a little. I needed the gas pedal to sit angled more towards the floor for driver comfort. Now I just need to weld that all shut again.

Then using a cardboard template I marked the steel for cutting.
IMG_3238.jpg

After all that I welded it in. You can also see the AC bulkhead I welded in. I had to place it a small angle as the Hemi needs the room for valve cover removal.
IMG_3239.jpg

I have the wiper area cut and removed as well. The next time I need to weld in a flat panel and all the useless holes.

Riddler

Well back to work today...

My goal is to get the firwall as straight and smooth as possible. I've only got a few more holes to weld up, then a ton grinding and then fiberglass to smooth it.

Today involved welding the gas pedal mount solid. I've still have to make a plate for that area to make it look like the firewall is smooth. I then moved on towards the wiper motor area. I've cut it out and plans are to use a modern motor with a delay function. I snagged one out of a Dakota to use.

Wiper area cut out.
DSC_0028.jpg

Plate made and welded in.
DSC_0030.jpg

I also made a new top piece and made it look as factory as I can.
DSC_0031.jpg

Grinded it down smooth and it's ready for a thin application of short hair fiberglass.
DSC_0032.jpg

Different angle.
DSC_0033~0.jpg

That's all for today.

Riddler

Wow that looks great.
I really like the flat no BS look you got goin on in the engine compartment and am interested in seeing what you will do for wipers.
That panel you cut out would be perfect for retro fitting Factory A/C into a non air car too.

Thanks Tim, I was just thinking... Guess no one cares anymore. Lol.

Riddler

I know the feeling...Firewall is looking good and oddly familar, you are planning on putting the wiper inside like a few other people here did, right?

I know the feeling...Firewall is looking good and oddly familar, you are planning on putting the wiper inside like a few other people here did, right?

Yeah I've got a small Dodge Dakota one. I don't think I'll have any issues as I have the Vintage Air Gen IV magnum. Its pretty small compaired to the stock evaporator. I've got the ability to move it all the way to the passenger side which leaves me a lot if room for the wiring and other stuff.

I'm hoping to hug the firewall as close as possible with the motor...

Riddler

Yeah I've got a small Dodge Dakota one. I don't think I'll have any issues as I have the Vintage Air Gen IV magnum. Its pretty small compaired to the stock evaporator. I've got the ability to move it all the way to the passenger side which leaves me a lot if room for the wiring and other stuff.

I'm hoping to hug the firewall as close as possible with the motor...

Riddler

I have the same a/c unit, seems to me there will be PLENTY of room for hiding other stuff under the dash

Thanks- watching bad *** builds like Ross' and yours have inspired me to push for more on my build.

I haven't done the wiper mock-up yet, but since I am trying to get the firewall ready for paint I am just going to weld a bracket in that area (inside). Have you put some power to your motor to see how the wipers work yet?

:happy1:

Spent most of the day in the garage working on the car. Today I wanted to start getting the firewall mocked up with the hydroboost and clutch master. So lets start with those.

Here's the hydroboost mockup.
IMG_3318.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

I still need a few things to bolt the rod to the pedal. I'm gonna have to buy a 3/8" heim joint and then cut the stock loop off and tap the rod.

I then spent 4-5 hours mocking up the clutch master.
IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

Here's what I've got going on under the dash (not done)
IMG_3322.jpg

I then dropped in the steering column to see how it looked. Well once that was in I could tell the driver's seat was about 2-2.5" too far to the left. So I moved it over 2" and its much better now. No I have to make the bracket fit again with new mounting tabs and then get it powercoated once again. Opps!

Riddler

Looks good. I am thinking about converting to a manual Transmission and might have to copy your mock up.

I am also considering the wiper update. thanks to you guys who keep upping the ante.
What do you do for a wiper switch and speed control?

Well I haven't been under a rock, just spending more time with family and enjoying my son growing up.

I have however been buying parts and I'm planning to get a whole lot done this coming year.

Here's what I bought so far.

Milodon Oilpan, pickup, OEM Bolts. Still not decided on the windage tray and gaskets or an OEM gasket/windage tray.

Here's the Lokar Parking brake. I've got everything needed to install these so the car can be put out on my driveway without it rolling away.

I'm hoping to have some more progress soon. I guess it depends on the weather and how cold it's been.

Riddler

Oh I've been around. Just haven't been able to work on the car. Should get more working time in this year.

Riddler

don't worry...we are keeping an eye out for you.

BTW...your old A/C (morphed together with mine) helped keep me cool driving home from the the Nationals this last August.

-
Back