Pulling 522 stroker from 1970 Swinger Help please

-
Reaction score
Hello, ready to pull big block from my 1970 Swinger( broken timing chain) question, do I remove trans, bellhousing while still in the car or do I pull it out with the trans attached? Also header clearance, no way to remove headers while motor still in position, any suggestions? Pull it up a bit and then remove? Steering crossover rod under oil pan, do I need to remove it? Thanks for any info, Bernie
1FC0FC15-97FC-4DC2-9DC6-9B7EA556C1F1.jpeg
1FC0FC15-97FC-4DC2-9DC6-9B7EA556C1F1.jpeg

2EB0AD20-FCD3-4140-8B4D-02F576442A05.png

35B6BBD7-13E5-4291-B3D0-E72FCE9BE81C.png

If the timing chain is bad, you can change it in the car. Just remove fan-radiator-alternator-damper-timing chain cover.

Can you pull the radiator and install new timing chain in the car?

Or did the broken chain bend the valves and now you need a total redo ?

How did u come to this conclusion? Did u actually diagnose this? Not very often a chain will break. Although I have seen the bolt/ bolts come loose on the top gear. Kim

Check into dropping the engine/trans combo out the bottom with the K Member attached.

4 bolts the K Member comes out. Have seen pictures of people loading weight in the trunk, then with the front bumper off they pick up the front of the car with a cherry picker, or hoist.

Roll the engine trans out on a low dolly.

Do you have enough redneck equipment to lift body off rather than pulling motor up and thru? Many of us have done it that way. Being Captain Obvious a lift makes it easier but several guys on here have red neck engineered their cherry picker to pick front of body up and roll out engine from underneath. Just thinking out loud to ya, sweet car for sure.

Good question, I’m not 100% sure it’s the chain. It absolutely could be a problem with the cam drive gear. Either way I’m sure it hit the valves so it’s gotta come out. Correct?

why not pop the plugs out and pop the valve covers off?
this way you can turn the engine by hand and see what the rockers do

Can take the cap off the distributor and get on the crank with a socket on a breaker bar. Rock the crank back and forth, if the rotor turns the timing chain is still on.

Get a bore scope and look in through the spark plug holes and see if you can see some minor nics in the piston tops.

Being careful with the spark plugs out, see if you can turn the crank a full 360°. Might have to pull the distributor if you have distributor drive gear issues. Then try again.

Would be nice if you can identify the real problem before pulling fhe engine.

could still be the chain then

but depending on when it went, yeah, it may have taken a few valves out

what's the background, did you buy the car running or was it like that when you bought it?

I highly doubt you'll get the engine & trans out as a pair. That's hard to do with a smallblock & 904... Nice car, I'm getting ready to start building a 470 stroker 70 swinger myself

I highly doubt you'll get the engine & trans out as a pair. That's hard to do with a smallblock & 904... Nice car, I'm getting ready to start building a 470 stroker 70 swinger myself

No reason u cant get the plugs out, and header bolts loose , I have raised port heads and forward strut bars in my engine bay , and I can get them out .

-
Back