Rant: Horsepower/muscle car tv shows

-
It looks like Horsepower tv show had done what was designed to do.

Its entertainment.

They are not the "all knowing gods" of all things motor sports. They are
people showing what they have done and what is possible. Yes they get
things wrong and yes they build things different than you. Who here hasn't
messed something up or made a mistake? ( remember that first wife, possibly the second? )

Offer suggestions for the show. Be proactive.

Or you could be watching Rachel Ray in that time slot.

Whip

Its entertainment.

messed something up or made a mistake? ( remember that first wife, possibly the second? )

Whip

At least Rachel KNOWS what shes doing in the kitchen..my 9 year old daughter knows more about Mopars then those clowns!!

Its entertainment.

Whip

Sorry Whip but I got to respectfully disagree. TV shows like this have a big advantage over everyone that watches, they can shoot retakes. When they screwed up so bad that they had to find a cast crank they could have fixed the problem and retaken the shot. When they dyno tested the engine and it was obvious that something was wrong (and if it wasn't obvious then they should be shot with a you know what) then they should have found out the reason why. Myself and most people on this forum wouldn't slap something together, saw that something was wrong then just walk away. It's the screw ups that people are remembered for, maybe that's not right, it's just the way it is. But in difference I guess I could offer a suggestion for the TV people, "stick with Chevy 350's they're kind of like BIC disposable lighters".

terry

Horsepower TV's guys about make me sick, I remember the 69-69 Cuda they worked on...much as I like smallblocks, I sure as hell wouldn't buy a car already cut up for fenderwell headers with a 440 in it, yank that to put a fairly moderate smallblock back in .
Joe whathisname then takes what loked to be a perfectly good black Holley style regulator and fuel system off, only to replace it with a shiny chrome piece that was otherwise identical! I wish I could have their castoff parts...
I also think it's odd that the younger new guy came on about the same time they built anything serious, and he's the only one driving the fast stuff....and Chuck was just a dork, period.
I watched that new show that looks like a re-hash of Boyd Coddington's show, they spent more time talking about the personality clashes than they did about what was actually done to that near mint 67 Cuda. They make a custom dash that looked like they stole it out of a 77 Trans-Am, and the end result of the car just wasn't that great. They blacked out so much of the trim it looked like they forgot to put the grille back in! They even destroyed the Formula S only wood door trim..
I sure as hell wouldn't take a car I cared about to that place, legends in residence or not.
GearZ commands a hell of a lot more respect from me with Stacey David at the helm. That man builds some serious stuff, and his joikes are actually funny...
And for pure fun it's hard to beat Top Gear, even if they do crack on American cars a bit too much. WTF, they're English...
The Stig would wipe up the track with Horsepowers' crew, that's for sure...

Don't get me started on Pinks either.....

alan627b

Its entertainment.

Whip
When you on national TV with a
Credit Card that size you ARE god{in tv land}

Stacey David Rocks! Moving to speed he lost
some fan but took his dignity with him!
[Sgt Rock just plain Pwnz JoO]
Hell I even like copperhead

Sorry Whip but I got to respectfully disagree. TV shows like this have a big advantage over everyone that watches, they can shoot retakes. When they screwed up so bad that they had to find a cast crank they could have fixed the problem and retaken the shot. When they dyno tested the engine and it was obvious that something was wrong (and if it wasn't obvious then they should be shot with a you know what) then they should have found out the reason why. Myself and most people on this forum wouldn't slap something together, saw that something was wrong then just walk away. It's the screw ups that people are remembered for, maybe that's not right, it's just the way it is. But in difference I guess I could offer a suggestion for the TV people, "stick with Chevy 350's they're kind of like BIC disposable lighters".

terry

Terry

Not a problen if you have a different view on this. This is why I like this site. I am on this site because of a project I am working on. But after some time it is apparent the depth of knowlage that is shaired out weighs any attraction a person may have to a brand of car make.

The worst thing about HP/TV is they have too much lead in to all the shows. They need to be like the old Elvis song " A little less conversation and a little more action":rock:

Whip

BigWhip, I would prefer that the jackass would just go off the air. They are nothing more than BSing crap salesman. You can't see that? You see it as just "entertainment", huh?
You should keep in mind that a lot of people watched this show that didn't know that the info these people are passing on to them is bogus. Nobody should be using this show to put together an engine, but some people are going to take to heart what these nut bags say and believe it. That's not good, especially when they can't make 500+ hp from a 440 6pack with $8000 to spend.
There were so many things wrong with this show that it makes me wonder WTF is wrong with you for defending it.
thatiscorrectsmiley.gif

Another clue as to the strength of the 8.75" rear, the 727 equipped 68 Super Stock Darts/Barracudas ran 8.75" rears....10.50's right off the shelf!!!

Just for clarification,

The Super Stock cars with automatic transmissions got the 8 3/4" rears. Four speed cars got the Dana 60.

Otherwise, I agree with just about everything that's been said on this thread. When I saw they were going to build a 440 6 pack I was stoked. :headbang: When I saw the numbers it made I couldn't believe it. disgust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar340dave
Another clue as to the strength of the 8.75" rear,
the 727 equipped 68 Super Stock Darts/Barracudas ran 8.75" rears ....10.50's right off the shelf!!!

64 cuda:
"Just for clarification,

The Super Stock cars with automatic transmissions got the 8 3/4" rears. Four speed cars got the Dana 60.

Otherwise, I agree with just about everything that's been said on this thread. When I saw they were going to build a 440 6 pack I was stoked. When I saw the numbers it made I couldn't believe it."

That's what I said!

There is a 383 build rehash in the new Spring 09 Engine Masters magazine where a stock 383 long block gets a cam, headers, intake and carb and makes 450+ hp!!!

I didn't see the show, as I got rid of cable three years ago. From the sound of it, the cam was ground 8 degrees retarded or the dyno operator forgot to apply a load... maybe both.

On the bright side: the viewers that regard this crap as gospel will have drastically lowered expectations for Mopar iron. At least they strayed from the typical solution of tossing a [expletive deleted]ing 350 plastered with a bunch of marketing-based-dress-up-crap into the thing.

I too used to derive much joy from mocking the "tighten the boats to spec" guy.

Didnt read the whole thread but what killed me was they chopped a hole in a PERFECT original fender to put in non function louvers.

Me, I woulda bought a repro fender to do that to and save the other fenders as spares. Or old for a good $.

Thats just me.

I did like seeing hom do the welding though....to you welders out there; Did he do that right?

Until it gets ripped off the floorpan with a big hunk of floor with it!

That upper link really needs to be secured via a crossmember. The floorpan ISN'T the proper mounting base.

I kind of wondered about that too....They noted on the show that they were going to reinforce it with a plate on the inside, but seeing as the plate is just attached to sheet metal, I have to wonder how good that will be. How much strees would there be on that upper link?

I saw the douchebags do some bolt-ons on a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail and they constantly referred to it as a Softail Heritage.
They are just stupid little puppets, nothing more.
They may have some intesest in hot rodding but they do not give two sh!ts about telling people how to do things right....just a big sales pitch.

I kind of wondered about that too....They noted on the show that they were going to reinforce it with a plate on the inside, but seeing as the plate is just attached to sheet metal, I have to wonder how good that will be. How much strees would there be on that upper link?

A ton of stress runs through that link.

Think about the axle wrap that occurs on a leaf spring car, nose of the pinion trying to move up. Same forces getting transferred to the floor pan via pulling force.

I doubt that car is ever going to end up in Dana White's hands anyways. It's probably a cross promotion thing... UFC is aired on what channel???

i've found better ways to spend my sundays than sit in front of the tv. especially watching fantasy shows.

MoparDave

I watch the show knowing it is full of errors. The fact is the Mopar parts of the show has more errors than the other parts.

It would be nice to see them contact FABO and see what would be the best small block and big block build for say $3,000 per motor. A street/strip motor with parts that everyone can find.

Whip

I saw the douchebags do some bolt-ons on a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail and they constantly referred to it as a Softail Heritage.
They are just stupid little puppets, nothing more.

They also said the Knucklehead motor was the first Harley engine with an overhead cam.

Horsepower TV and "Trucks!" used to be (probably still are) shot in a relatively small shop in Madison, TN at RTM Productions. I was their FedEx Ground driver and used to deliver their parts, and sometimes Stacy David would walk me through the shop to see what they were all working on.

As far as anyone who was there before 2005 when I bought a different route, Stacy was by far the best fabricator/builder there, and a super nice guy to boot. Sometimes he'd make fun of the Horsepower TV guys for faking dyno results and doing other stupid stuff.

Remember the green 2nd generation Barracuda they did a few years back? Stacy knows I'm a Mopar guy, so he took me in to see it. He says "Can you believe this? They're taking out the big-block to put a smallblock in it! Leave that big honker in there!" Then he showed me how the front wheels didn't fit..."they might look OK, but check this out", he said, then he turned the steering wheel and the tire hit the fender. "Stupid".

Chuck, the big Indian guy....now, he had some pretty stout Chevelles and knew his way around a garage. Not a builder like Stacy, but at least I got the feeling he could put one together and tune it right...but the little guy, I think his name was Mike...he's just a local Nashille TV personality who does little local shows on travel and stuff, there was absolutely no gearhead in him at all! I had to laugh when I'd see the show, all he ever did was what they told him to do!

The parts I brought them for both shows were always shipped from the manufacturer, and they got them in exchange for showing them being installed on TV.

But Stacy's stuff on TRUCKS! were the real deal. He personally cut 'em up, rebuilt them, and everything worked perfectly when they were finished. Many of them were his own personal trucks, including the old Powerwagon; which I got to see from the day he drug it in right up until he finished it, took it out, and brutally abused it!

GMC brought a big prototype pickup down there one year and the transport driver cut one of the huge tires while unloading it. No problem, except the tires were one-off pieces made just for the truck. Stacy had to shoot all the scenes on one side of the truck first, then swap the unmatched wheel/tire to the other side to shoot the other side of the truck. Mad him mad!

But some of the Horsepower TV cars; at least back then; were just put together, then they'd take the pictures, strap it on the dyno; and just show the dyno readings from an angle where you couldn't see which car was on it. Just like the green Barracuda that wasn't even driveable, it was all for show.

I haven't watched it for a few years, it may all be different now. But back then TRUCKS! was real and Horsepower TV was...not so much.

If they are still at the same shop, I'll have to take MY green Barracuda by there when it's done, and give them a 575HP/600ft.lbs. burnout with a 440 built RIGHT!!

I liked what demonseed had to say and really, the rest of you as well. I like Stacy David on Gears...but I wonder sometimes what he is on. Have you ever noticed that he is always laughing even when there is NOTHING to laugh about? Have you ever noticed how he throws still useful parts (to someone) over his shoulder? Have you ever noticed how all the high dollar parts just seem to fall out of heaven or his asshole? Time and money? What's that?!? It just isn't real world. Have you noticed that there is always the exact tool or other specialized equipment always at hand? Have you noticed that his hands and clothes are never dirty? Yeah, you're right....it's entertainment...it makes me smile.
Pat

Thanks for the insight, butterball. I too, like Stacey and his show. I like that he shows the average schmo that this type of work might well be within their capabilities. Like he says, "just go and do it."

I would love to see a "reality show" that follows a bucks-down race team through a season. Imagine if one followed Sox, Garlits, or Pat back in the day...it would be gold now.

-
Back