Rapom's Rocket - just another Duster build thread

-
Because I had pulled the original unmolested harness with the Rally Dash I had every intention on utilizing it in my custom dash build. That was until I realized the spider web of interconnections in the electrical system caused by the government safety mandates implemented back in the '70s. Without a degree in electrical engineering I wasn't going to be able to untangle that mess. So now I needed to modify the stock '74 dash harness to work with the Rally setup plus incorporate all the wiring for the 7 added gauges each of which had multiple connections for things like dash lighting, sender leads and 12v power and grounds. In fact I counted 34 wires that had to be spliced into the stock harness not including all the other wiring mods I did at the time.

The first step was actually fitting the gauges into the bezel. I had read that the 5"ers would "slip right in" to the larger holes. NOT!!! The speedo did, with a little easing of the opening, but the tach required much more. This was done very carefully, with a drum sander attachment on my dremel at med speed. The face of the bezel rings also had to be worked so the back of the big gauge's face rings had a flat to sit against. The oil press gauge slid into the tach opening with no work required. The other three gauges were going to be mounted in the flat that the heater controls originally occupied. After carefully grinding off the front/back side ridges and lettering, three 2" holes (closest hole saw I had) were laid out and drilled on the drill press. It took quite a bit of fitting and grinding to clearance/elongate the holes so the gauges would sit at the correct angle to the drivers position. The angled gauge bases I purchased weren't angled nearly enough to get the gauges to sit right. After I figured out what angle I needed I took a piece of 2.5" exhaust pipe, which fit inside the rings perfectly, cut it at the desired angle, pressed on the rings one at a time, taped them in position and then using a metal cutting disk on my 4.5" grinder trimmed them to the new angle using the metal of the pipe as a guide. Then I cut a piece of heavy sheet aluminum for a backer to give the gauges something substantial to mount against which took the same amount of grinding and fitting to open up and elongate as before. A lot of freaking work!

Now that the gauges were fitted to the bezel step 2 was getting the pot metal frame modified to fit around the 5" gauges. I wanted this frame to not only give the plastic some structural support but to utilize the stock brake warning, high beam and turn signal lights. Once again hours of cutting, fitting, grinding and filing resulted in a skeletonized metal frame which cleared the gauge backs but retained all the indicator light housings.

At the moment I have no pictures of any of this and the dash is fully assembled. I will take detailed pics and post them when I blow it back apart to refinish the bezel. Then I will explain steps 3, 4, 5.....

Quicky update: Got my heater kit yesterday from DMT. Nice kit and good instructions. Should make the heater operate like new. Hood scoop supposed to be delivered today.
No new work done on the car as I've been repositioning a friends radiator and building a new crossbar type mount for it, in my "spare time". Like I have any of that. Also scheduled for the next 7 days straight at work so I don't see any progress on my car for the next couple of weeks.

Update - my Flaming River steering coupler, purchased from fbcuda69, arrived in the mail yesterday and it is a very nice piece. It will take a bit of slop out of the steering and eliminates the rubber seal and grease of the factory coupler, which due to the close proximity to the header tubes, can suffer heat damage and then the melted grease makes a really nice mess of things. It doesn't provide any "plunge" to the column but with the chassis stiffening I've done I don't anticipate any issues in this area.

I didn't get the chance to go support bearing hunting but it is still on my to do list.

It's been raining heavily all morning so I spent a few hours ordering some stuff on the web. Detroit Muscle Technologies got $46 for a heater refurb kit + shipping, and I ordered an AMD hood scoop. I know, I know... Your thinking "AMD doesn't make any Mopar hood scoops" and you may be right. This is bound to provoke a reaction from the peanut gallery but that's all the info I'm willing to share at the moment. Wait and see, wait and see.

this is a worth while venture. i picked up a collar bearing. 52mm outside dia. and 1" inside. was $7. cut back the column housing and install. header clearance galore.

Thanks for the additional pics on the column support bearing mod YoungGun. I'm definitely planning on doing this mod but after reviewing the pic of my lower column parts, that I posted on page 5, I'm not so sure I can. Remember I mixed the shaft and lower column parts off my stock '74 column shift/power steering unit and the upper collar/head assy off a floor shift manual. Right now it works perfectly. I'm concerned that a good amount of slop exists in the steering shaft bearing (red arrow). I cleaned and re-greased it when I refurbished the column but it was bone dry from decades of use and I'm sure has a worn race and balls. The steering shaft is supported by this bearing which rides inside the shift selector tube (red arrow). This in turn is supported by the nylon bushing (yellow arrow) which rides inside the outer column tube (yellow arrow). What I'm looking at is the flange on the end of the shift selector tube which would block the insertion of a new support bearing into the end of the outer column tube. I may have to tear the column apart again to see if the shift selector tube can be deleted or moded. Since the column is mounted back in the car I'll have to go give every thing a good wiggle and see how much play actually exists before I re-do all that work again. :wack:

Attachments

• IMG_1276 - Copy.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 862
Came home from work last night for dinner and look what was leaning against my front door. What could it be????

Attachments

• IMG_2356 - Copy.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 862
Well it looks like I'll be yanking the column back out and tearing it down. Found a ton of slop, about .25" up and down, not in the steering shaft bearing which was a good tight fit to the shift tube. All the looseness was in the fit of the white nylon bushing of the shift tube to the outer column tube. So I'm going to see if I can eliminate the shift tube/nylon bushing and the bearing/spring/retainer stuff off the steering shaft to fit a collar bearing in there to tighten things up.

Well it looks like I'll be yanking the column back out and tearing it down. Found a ton of slop, about .25" up and down, not in the steering shaft bearing which was a good tight fit to the shift tube. All the looseness was in the fit of the white nylon bushing of the shift tube to the outer column tube. So I'm going to see if I can eliminate the shift tube/nylon bushing and the bearing/spring/retainer stuff off the steering shaft to fit a collar bearing in there to tighten things up.

If you're converting over to a floor shift, you can lose all of that stuff. That's exactly what I did with mine.

You only need the shift tube if you're keeping the column shift. Otherwise, you can just toss it. Once you've gotten rid of that you just take the spring and the rest of that garbage off the end of the steering shaft. Then you can ditch the nylon spacer and just use the column bearing.

I'm sure you've already seen my threads on it, but here they are anyway. You can see that I used the exact same column jacket and lower housing that you have.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=228103

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=228107

Hey Blu. Yes, I went back and re-read your thread yesterday after looking at my column and in the very first sentence you said to ditch the shift selector tube. Don't know how many times I've looked at those threads and totally missed that tidbit of info.

Last edited:
Ordered up a collar bearing off FleaBay yesterday. Cheapest I found was 12.50 shipped. Hopefully will have it installed and the column back in this weekend. Currently shopping for 1/0 starter cable and 4 - 6 gauge wire to make some progress on the trunk mount battery mod. Need to finalize routing so I can take measurements for run lengths and get it ordered.

Ordered up a collar bearing off FleaBay yesterday. Cheapest I found was 12.50 shipped. Hopefully will have it installed and the column back in this weekend. Currently shopping for 1/0 starter cable and 4 - 6 gauge wire to make some progress on the trunk mount battery mod. Need to finalize routing so I can take measurements for run lengths and get it ordered.

I used Summit's kit on my Duster, had enough length for everything I did with the relocation, battery cut-off and solenoids. I just had to buy a couple extra 1 gauge cable ends for the cut-off and a couple of starter cables to go from the starter to the starter switch and the starter switch to the solenoid.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1231-k/overview/

After working seven days straight, spending my day off prepping the wife's garden plot/mowing our acre of grass then four more days at work, I finally have a few hours this morning to give the car some "love". I pulled the column back out, the collar bearing showed up in the mail box Sat., and I'm itchin to get started on the mod. I'll take photos and post up the result latter today.

I used Summit's kit on my Duster, had enough length for everything I did with the relocation, battery cut-off and solenoids. I just had to buy a couple extra 1 gauge cable ends for the cut-off and a couple of starter cables to go from the starter to the starter switch and the starter switch to the solenoid.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1231-k/overview/

I looked that kit over but it would duplicate several things I already have and is missing the 4-6 ga. lengths that I need. I say 4-6 ga. because I haven't settled on which I'll be using. 6 ga. is much easier to find from online suppliers than 4 ga. and I'm not entirely sure I need 4 ga. considering my electrical load. Getting the final lengths determined and ordered up are high on my priority list today.

Progress!!! The first step in fitting the collar bearing is to tear down the column. The following applies to 70ish and latter columns (don't know about earlier versions). Once you get the wheel and turn signal cams out of the way the next step is to remove the C clip that keeps the upper half of the head unit on the steering shaft. This is a great opportunity to clean, inspect and grease the upper shaft bearing and it's rubber collar, which supposedly dampens vibrations coming up through the shaft into the steering wheel. My bearing was dirty and pretty dry so I washed it in mineral spirits with a toothbrush, gently blew it dry with compressed air and then worked in some fresh grease. Red arrow points to the race where the bearing sits.

View attachment IMG_2373.jpg

View attachment IMG_2374.jpg

Last edited:
The upper half of the head unit will now slip off the end of the shaft. Just let it hang by the wiring as there is no need to disassemble it any further. Unless you're using a service manual, you'll pull your hair out trying to figure out how to remove the shaft out of the column. It won't slide out towards the steering wheel due to the bearing/spring & keeper on the engine end and it won't slide out the other way due to a notched wheel or disc that appears to be part of the shaft, like a flange on an axle. The secret? There is a ring that slides over the end of the disk that is a keeper for a cross pin. The pin attaches the disk to the shaft. It is really easy to miss how this is assembled as the ring and disk appear to be one piece. Work a small fine tipped screw driver in between the ring and disk and it will pop right off. Tap the pin out and the disk will then slide off the shaft, and the shaft will fall out the bottom of the column. The purpose of this disk is to lock the steering wheel by engaging a lever (yellow arrow) into one of the notches when the key is removed.

View attachment IMG_2376.jpg

View attachment IMG_2378.jpg

Last edited:
The following parts can be removed and discarded: bearing, spring and keeper off steering shaft and the shift tube and white nylon bushing.

Since I'm using a Flaming River power steering coupler I'm also discarding the stock coupler and the cross pin that hold the "shoes" the coupler rides on. The pin was a beeotch to remove. I pressed it out with my vice, a socket and a big dead blow hammer to beat on the vice with. That friggin pin did not want to come out.

Attachments

• IMG_2379.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 716
Then I used a dremel and sanding drum to clean out the end of the steering column where the bearing will seat. (Pic 1)

I coated the inside of the column with anti seize to aid in seating the bearing and provide some corrosion protection. (Pic 2) An old toothbrush works great to apply anti seize to just about any thing. A small plastic pouch to cover the end keeps it from getting all over everything.

This is a gratuitous shot of my P.O.L. (petroleum, oils and lubricants - a holdover from my military days) box that I keep all my specialty "goop" in. Things like anti seize, marine grade grease, high temp copper grease, cam lube, ect. are stored in here so their kept clean and easy to find when I need them. (Pic 3)

A foot long piece of brass rod, I've had my whole adult life and use constantly, was used to tap the bearing gently into the column. If you don't have a press use a brass drift like mine or a piece of wood to work the bearing into position. You'll mar the hell out of the bearing unless you use something softer than the bearing's steel. (Pic 4 & 5)

Attachments

• IMG_2371.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_2370.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 733
  • IMG_2369.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 723
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_2366.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 724
Well the best laid plans sometimes go all to hell. Unlike others who have written about this mod I ran into an issue that required several hours of filing and fitting before it was resolved. When I tried to slide the steering shaft into the bearing there was no way it was going to go. It wouldn't even start. Evidently my shaft was slightly egg shaped or the bearing wasn't round. I used the dremel with drum sanding attachment to clean up the set screw holes on the inside of the bearing and then spent several tedious hours working the end of the shaft down with a fine toothed flat file. I attempted to keep it round by rolling it back and forth on the bench with every stroke of the file. Then I would polish out the scratches with 320 grit sandpaper and give it a trial fit. Any tight spots would leave a mark which I would work out with the file and sandpaper and try again. Eventually I got it worked down to where it would slide in and out without binding. A five minute job if I only had access to a lathe. Pic of the worked shaft's end and the pile of filings.

View attachment IMG_2375.jpg

View attachment IMG_2372.jpg

Last edited:
your gonna be thankful you did the work! it really does make a world of difference. your gonna have more header clearance too! that and it just looks a hell of a lot cleaner.

A lite spritz of black paint to keep the shaft from rusting and the rest of the parts laid out for reassembly. (Pic 1)

All done! Result is zero slop between the shaft and the column. Was it worth all that work? Hell Yes! I drilled some dimples in the shaft to give the set screws something to bite into. All that's left is a little Locktite on the screws and reinstalling the column. Once the K and steering box are back in place I can drill the shaft for the Flaming River coupler. (Pic 2)

Attachments

• IMG_2388.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_2387.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 717
I can't believe I have not stumbled upon your build before.....my loss.

Nice work....and love the way you attack a obstacle.

Something is bothering the fabricator in me in the pic above of the painted shaft laying on the bench. It appears the shaft is uneven along the top side. It must be a trick of the light from the window on that side because I miked that shaft after I was finished and it is surprisingly round and straight for doing it by hand with a file. Just had to point that out, now my ego is stroked...

Morning progress from yesterday. I keep most of the sheet metal parts I remove from a project car as fodder for building brackets, patching rust, you name it. The metal is the correct gauge and you can't beat the factory paint's (if present) adhesion to the base metal as a base for refinishing. This is a rear spring bracket morphing into a disconnect switch mount.

Attachments

• IMG_2390.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_2391.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 680
  • IMG_2395.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 680

how far back do you have to cut the column? i need to do this to my duster for more header clearance.thanks Mopar65

-
Back