reworking a fully restored car

-
And this guys name is??????

Don't be shy because if you are, someone else may get burned.

And this guys name is??????

Don't be shy because if you are, someone else may get burned.
Don't worry everyone up here that's on the 2 boards this is being documented on know who this guy is , I need to carefully document everything before I call him a scammer and a thief by name again but it's out there from the last time .Fortunately here in Canada if it's the truth and you can show it's the truth it isn't slander or libalous so everything in it's time .
Started cutting the valance off but my 15 year old cheapo mini- grinder burnt up half way through .

Here's a couple more pics note the "new" pans

Attachments

• IMG_20151010_114746.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_20151010_114802.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 650
Ready to cut out the cross member and weld in the new one to keep everything together while I cut the trunk floor out .

Attachments

• IMG_20151011_131920.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 612

wait till you see the next set , I removed the bumper mounts with a flat blade screwdriver and my bare hands , no drilling required , the rear 10 inches of frame rail are now exposed and not pretty , there were 2 pieces of sheetmetal glued in under the filler as patches so far including one that was up against the rear valance that is at least an inch thick of filler/putty mix , I again stand by my original statement on Mopar-eh regarding this person and am continuing to document this as protection against his lawyers .

Heres the latest pics , the bumper mounts were removed with a screwdriver and my bare hands -no spot weld drilling required -enjoy .

Attachments

• IMG_20151017_152206.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_20151017_151949.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_20151017_151926.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_20151017_151852.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_20151017_151217.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_20151017_150402.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_20151017_150158.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 564
As a classic wood boat restorer, I see this same thing. There are companies out there that charge upwards of $80,000 to restore a boat, and then it sinks. Almost always the bottom has a thick sheet of fiberglass laid over it and they assume this fixes it. It only helps the wood underneath to rot away and then the boat sinks when the seams all come apart. You'd think it's just one bad guy who does it, but several companies are guilty of it. We see it a lot. Looks like on a car it's the same story- metal rots out under it.

That really stinks that someone would do this to you. Do you have any bank statements showing the withdraws to make these cash payments that you do have a receipt for? If you can show a pattern of these transactions ( with your pics ) you may have a case to recover some of your money he took from you. Anything is worth a try at this point, even if you can't recover everything I'm sure Canada's IRS would be very interested in looking into this.
Best of luck!!

Well it's spring here in Victoria and the cars are coming out of hiding soooo, Its time to get back to the gong show , I started cutting and ran out of zip discs but after I get a couple more tomorrow I should be ready to decide what else I need to buy parts wise . I already have the Valance , Cross member and a new Trunk floor from AMD . Heres todays pics .....

Attachments

• 20160216_153658.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 471
  • 20160216_153710.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 442
  • 20160216_153714.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 458
  • 20160216_153723.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 450
Dang Cannucky . Sorry to hear . Your not alone. Happens all the time in restoration business no matter how much you research. I lost $12000 ,might as well have flushed it down the toilet at least I would have gotten some use out of it. Had to rework the car myself. Had several conversations with the guy , saw his work , Met the family so on and so on. Best thing to do is move on but I would surly let anyone know that was thinking of using them " think twice". I hope you get things going.

I'm in Yakima, who did you go to?

Got the rest of the trunk floor cut out today but forgot the patch cable for my phone so pics will have to wait until tomorrow , suffice to say that while the frame rails get a lot better the further forward I get the floor itself has some real BS work and the inner wheel house's where they meet the trunk floor are solid blocks of kitty hair concealed by seam putty and undercoating . I already sourced some more trunk pieces from here on FABO and probably am looking at new extensions and rear shackle boxes plus some frame repair .

Holy **** Dude. You were charged for that?! You really, really should sue if it's at all possible. That's flat out fraud.

I feel for ya Chris, but guys like that get away with crap like this all the time. There is a guy around here that charged a customer 20k to replace a bunch of body panels on his 57 Chev. The customer supplied all new panels, by the time the car was finished it ended up getting scrapped. The so called professional didn't brace anything when he took it apart, welded it all back together so crooked and nothing would fit. Word spread about the work this guy does, yet he always has work to do, doesn't seem to be justice sometimes. Hope the guy that did your car gets a little karma heading his way.

Yeah this guys a trust fund baby with literally piles of Mopars stashed all over that him and his brothers collected over the years , He was a scammer when they had their 4 transmission shops and is a scammer today now that he is retired , he uses shills to lure out of towners like me and is the TTi dealer as well as the Hughes dealer for this area , maybe all of Canada for TTi I've heard so he finds suckers like me in spite of all the word spreading I've been doing the past 6 years .

PS Can't sue it was all cash over a 2 year period and in the end he shredded my invoice's instead of giving them to me , the only one I got was the last one which he actually ended up owing me money that he squared with a pair of exhaust tips then told me my other invoices were shredded from the binder they had been in during the work .

If you need the back sections of frame rail, let me know. You can have them for shipping.

Wow, that is pretty grim. Sign of a brutal restoration. Kinda like the Holmes on Homes show that showed brutal home renos.

How often did you stop by his shop to monitor the progress on the resto?

I was working a lot of hours during the biggest construction boom in my lifetime , the Shill that was supposed to be my buddy was working out there and supposed to be minding it for me , turns out he was just a scammer making a slice of the scam , still collects welfare and works cash under the table for the guy but they are smart enough to dodge the government , he doesn't work at the shop now he works on some of the guys many real estate holdings instead . I would go out in the evening or weekend once a month or so to square up on the cash but again they are very good at covering stuff up and making it look right , heck it probably would have been a lot quicker , cheaper and easier to do it right than all the time they spent doing it wrong

Well, if you did not demand any paperwork as notification he recieved cash from you then I guess some of the responsibility rests on you. I'm currently doing work for a very close friend. I buy supplies, I keep the receipt for him. He gives me a payment, he gets paperwork reflecting that. At any time he can ask where I am labor hours wise and where he is money wise. I consider him as close as a brother but business is business. Everyone should take heed: anyone can do work for you - but protect yourself... and them. GET IT IN WRITING.

I was working a lot of hours during the biggest construction boom in my lifetime , the Shill that was supposed to be my buddy was working out there and supposed to be minding it for me , turns out he was just a scammer making a slice of the scam , still collects welfare and works cash under the table for the guy but they are smart enough to dodge the government , he doesn't work at the shop now he works on some of the guys many real estate holdings instead . I would go out in the evening or weekend once a month or so to square up on the cash but again they are very good at covering stuff up and making it look right , heck it probably would have been a lot quicker , cheaper and easier to do it right than all the time they spent doing it wrong

Man that sucks. Perhaps you mentioned it already, but how did you choose this guy to do the restoration? It sucks that he did a crappy job but you gave him the opportunity to do a crappy job by not stopping by on a regular basis. Only person who cares/looks out for you is you or someone in your immediate family. All the guys I know who have had custom homes built for them know they need to stop by almost on a daily basis to make sure stuff is done right and going according to plan to best mitigate risk of things going wrong.

Yeah Moper it was going like that but because I obviously trusted the guy I believed him when he said he would have the hand written pages typed up at the end so I would have a complete record at the end .Up until the end the hand written pages were organized in a binder detailing each phase and indicating payment but then when we got to the end he handed me the final page which as I said he actually owed me a couple of hundred thats when I found the binder empty. I asked if the pages were being typed and thats when he told me they were gone .

-
Back