Ross' '71 dart swinger

-
Wow what a difference a proper carb makes! I pulled off the carter 600 in exchange for a holley 4510 650DP. got 67s up front with 75s in back and 21 inside. I am surprised to only see 16in vac at idle but its rock solid. Have it at 16deg base with the front screws 2.75 turns out. All I have to say is DAMN!!!

I took her for a spin and wow what a difference it was like a completely different car!
I cant wait to have the pavement be dry so I am not spinning the tires in 2nd at 25mph lol

Attachments

• 1010101950.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 614
Glad to hear she,s running better with the carb swap Ross!Are those my old valve covers?Oh,I just remembered I also have 8.5 mil MSD and TaYLOR wires spare for stock dizzy cap.Keep up the good work.

P.S Any updated pics on the killer shop?

Well this weekend I am pulling the 360 out of my swinger because of some knocking noise I am hearing.... A 318 is going in for a short time until I can afford a BB bellhousing and headers then the 440 is gong in! Having driven plenty of 340 and 440 cars I know there is a nice difference.

I shouldn't have put that reman crank in, ether that or I have a piston that collapsed on me.....

Glad to hear she,s running better with the carb swap Ross!Are those my old valve covers?Oh,I just remembered I also have 8.5 mil MSD and TaYLOR wires spare for stock dizzy cap.Keep up the good work.

P.S Any updated pics on the killer shop?

Yeppers they are the very same ones, I blasted them then painted them up.

I think their are some newish pics on the shop thread. Power is now hooked up!!! http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=88889&page=5

sure if it's free! I happen to have a 30 over 360 too, and for how much you need for yours I could buy a set of nice heads for mine......

Just added a little something 8)

Attachments

• 1224101537.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 423
no pics today but i got a few things done, I replaced the gasket on the drivers vent window because the old one had shrunk and caused a bad wind whistle at freeway speeds, I also replaced the vent glass because I had a passenger one in there for some reason.

The drivers door handle got replaced too since I found one in my parts pile with better chrome and I rebuilt the push button so it wouldn't stick like the one that was in there. (it was interesting driving down the road and having the door open...)

I also found my gas leak, the sender is leaking so I will pull a sender from one of my spare tanks and replace it.

I installed the rear KYB's that I had bought and forgotten about lol

I put the 4degree pinion angle shims in too

I grabbed a set of 14X5.4 ralleys with 235 60 14 tires and installed them so I now have non white wall tires and matching ralleys all the way around!!! I do need to do a touch of clearancing on the wheel lips though because in a turn they rub the sidewalls just ever so much.

And last but not least I built a custom pinion snubber that sits right below the hit plate, it actually touches the plate on acceleration unlike the stock one and amazingly enough the wheel hop is gone : )

Last week I tore apart the 360 and found out the reman crank and bearing kit I bought was causing the knock. They sold me a .10 and .30 crank with matching bearings only problem is the mains instead of being 10 weren't ground so when I put it together and went wow this sucker is really hard to turn I should had pulled it all apart again. It ate the mains and was working on taking out the rod bearings when I tore it all down. o well.
I think I am just going to rebuild the 360 for the time being and swap it back in until its feasible to do the 440.

and a pic after I rolled the 1/4s a touch 235 60 r14 on a 5.5in ralley with a '68-'70 b body 8 3/4

Also the not pretty but very functional pinion snubber

Attachments

• 0118111506.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 474
  • 0118111318.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 496
hey ross, those mirrors went out today, through the usps

very cool! I am looking forward to being able to see out of both sides of my car

Ross, those tires look pretty tight in that wheel well.......but I love the look.

o yha there was some rolling of the 1/4s involved today, they fit just barely with out but on turns and bumps they would rub just ever so slightly.

So I actually drive my swinger and I went on a little road trip to visit my girlfriend in Wenatchee. It's about 150mi away and over a mountain pass.
I think I averaged about 15mpg so not too bad.

The car did great and I didn't chain up because I actually know how to drive in the snow.

I got a lot of positive attention too which was kinda interesting

Attachments

• r45.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 415
  • r42.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 396
  • r41.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 410
  • r38.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 403
  • r5.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 389
  • r4.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 408
  • r3.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 407
  • r2.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 415
  • r1.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 403
  • r51.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 394
you drove through the snow?!!? do they not use salt out there?

thats different, there lots of salt mines around so it is used heavily. They didn't seem to use much the other day when i went to buy another car though.

I have been lazy lol and haven't put the center latch in, it's just being held on by the hood pins.

LOL! I am only running the pins too. Did not see the need for three different hood hold downs. Shave a little weight. Just don't forget to put the pins in:shock:

thats what I like about them a nice lanyard is visible from the drivers seat if they are in.

Hey Ross, the car looks AWESOME. Question for you: How many gallons of paint did you need to shoot the car? Primer/paint/clearcoat. Thanks, it would be a HUGE help!

-Y

-
Back