Saving a nearly lost car

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 1975 dodge dart 2 door shell. The car was rear ended so most of the back section is junk. Over the years a piece here and a piece have disappeared from the car as I have given a lot of parts away. The car still has a title.

Next to it, I have a 1968 dodge dart 2 door shell with a perfect body and most of its parts left that I was saving as spare parts for my other darts. There is no title on this car.

Well, someone suggested to me that I combine the two cars and make one. That is a great idea except for the fact that final product will look like a 68 because the majority of parts I have are 68.....but the core of the car will be the 75 and obviously the vin number will read LH23C5B for a 75 because that is the only title I have.

Problem is and question is: how can I combine these two cars and keep proof that's its not a re-body but in fact a legit car built from salvaged spare parts. Because the core shell will remain as the 75 (as per the vin) because the 75 is a more solid shell minus the rear panel damage anyway.

I don't intend to sell it as anything its not but actually I was planning to give it to a little cousin as a first ride and she is not picky.

But will it look weird to have a car that looks like a 68 on the outside but the vin and core is a 75?

why would it look weird? I for one see nothing wrong with a 75 looking like a 68, but I am biased towards 68 Darts so what do I know.

I can't answer your question, but I wanted to say that this sounds like a very cool idea.

I hope your not trying to move the 75 VIN to the 68 shell ! That would be a felony.

But if your taking the good parts from the 68 and adding them to 75 that's OK. But it will still have to meet the 75 emissions standard.

Attachments

• needpictures.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 338
I hope your not trying to move the 75 VIN to the 68 shell ! That would be a felony.

But if your taking the good parts from the 68 and adding them to 75 that's OK. But it will still have to meet the 75 emissions standard.

nope it will be a 75 with 68 parts on it. I know that its wrong to move vin numbers and that is exactly what I don't want people thinking. But im not sure how to document the parts swap to show a legit build.

I am not worried about emissions ....there is no emissions tests in my area but I am keeping the 75 slant six in it.

GG that picture is hilarious! Litterally laughed out loud, thanx.

Rani, it sounds like you are converting a 75 to look like a 68. Nothing wrong with that. People make Dart Sports into Demons, same idea. They just have to be registered as the original body type. Of course this is just my opinion.

I don't understand the concern here, its a 75 dart with a title , it doesn't matter what parts you put on it, the dash is still in tact with the body. this stuff is done on a daily basis

You can customize a car to look like whatever you want. You are just 'customizing' it to look like a 68. Keith

Check with you local DMV and see what they say. Here you can get a title for the 68 without much work or you can get an assigned VIN by using the parts from two cars. Laws very from state to state so do your homework in your state.

here is a really old pic of the 75 before it got rear ended and partially parted out. Its been my cousins car for the last 20 years so the title is still the older style one.

And a pic of the 68 from the farm we got it from. It was some old folk trying to clear the yard and it was originally slated for scrap. I have the bill of sale on it and the old people didn't want to mess with getting a duplicate title because they said its scrap so why.......I didn't want to argue with them and lose the car.

Attachments

• IMAG0127.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 301
  • CIMG2213.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 314
This looks like it may be your answer.

Rebuilder's Title
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]C.R.S. 42-6-108.5[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Vehicles valued principally because of the vehicle's early date of manufacture, design, historical interest, or value as a collector's item may be eligible to be issued a Rebuilder's Title when:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The motor vehicle is not roadworthy AND[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The motor vehicle is at least 25 years old AND[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The components of the motor vehicle include at least a rolling chassis AND[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]No acceptable ownership document is available AND[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The motor vehicle is physically located in Colorado[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]All steps on the[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Rebuilder's Title Checklist[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]have been successfully completed[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]REBUILDER TITLE TO REGULAR TITLE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]A vehicle previously issued a Rebuilder's Title may be eligible to be issued a regular title after it has been rebuilt and the items on the [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Rebuilder's Title to a Regular Title Checklist[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] have been completed.[/FONT]

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1221475087616

I see where you are going.....just get a title for the 68 and fix the 68 and scrap the 75. and burn the 75 title.

when you click the link....at the end of section 6 it states: "

Vehicles issued a rebuilder’s title shall not be registered and/or driven

If that means what I think it does then again CO strikes out.

when you click the link....at the end of section 6 it states: "

Vehicles issued a rebuilder’s title shall not be registered and/or driven

If that means what I think it does then again CO strikes out.

That is why I posted the second half.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]REBUILDER TITLE TO REGULAR TITLE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]A vehicle previously issued a Rebuilder's Title may be eligible to be issued a regular title after it has been rebuilt and the items on the [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Rebuilder's Title to a Regular Title Checklist[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica] have been completed.[/FONT]

I don't understand the concern here, its a 75 dart with a title , it doesn't matter what parts you put on it, the dash is still in tact with the body. this stuff is done on a daily basis

I agree, it's got a title...who cares what parts are on it....

I would at least try to get the 68 title. If they give you to hard of a time then go the 75 route.
I have had to do things like that before. I don't like to waist mopars over a lost title. Build the
project while you are getting the legals in order.

By following the trail to secure a good title, I have bought and sold a lot of cars that would have gone to the crusher. Some states it is nearly impossible to do and some is pretty easy. Reading what Colorado has posted, it looks real easy if you just follow the directions.

You've got a bill of sale with the 68 - can't you take that and a rubbing of the vin forom the car and apply for a title in your name? If that's too much hassle, swap it all over to the 75 shell, document it in pictures and let the cousin drive the wheels off the thing. The only time in the futire that it may matter to someone is if/when it is ever sold - and when that time arrives, simply state it is a 75 wearing 68 sheet metal. The E-body crowd willl think nothing of building a 72-74 cuda to wear a 71 grill, tail lights and marker lights, but is still titled as the year that it really is. A buddy of mine has what looks like a 52 MG-TD. However the body plate on the tub and his title are 53. No big deal.

Build it and title it as a 75. The idiots at the tag office will never even see the car.

the other option would have been to build the 75 as a 75. The only dilemma there is the 75 is not a complete car anymore and I don't have any 75 parts.

I don't really care if the end product looks like a 68 or a 75, I am just more interested in a legal car that can be on the streets.

the other option would have been to build the 75 as a 75. The only dilemma there is the 75 is not a complete car anymore and I don't have any 75 parts.

I don't really care if the end product looks like a 68 or a 75, I am just more interested in a legal car that can be on the streets.

Forget the beak and go with the older front clip :glasses7:

-
Back