SB vs BB who wins?

-
Besides we're making more power at 7000 vs 8000 with the small block. lol :D

I wonder how many RPM's this engine turns to make it's 1350 HP. LOL
predeng2.jpg

Ok so this is one I've been pondering for a bit. Just to preface, it's purely an academic exercise to see if I can learn something.

So, take a stroker SB of choice. Call it a 408. Could be 390, or 416. Now take a 383/400/or 413. No stroker big blocks, that's not in the spirit of the experiment.

Top these engines off with a decent set of heads. Nothing wild and exotic, but a good set of well prepped heads your typical dude might run. Appropriate and fairly equivalent supporting valvetrain, intake, exhaust, compression etc.

Which series engine would better, in terms of power and torque production, and why?

Troublemaker. Lol

I remember when de-stroking a engine was done to make power .... :D
Probably cause the pistons speeds they could run and heads available, seems that piston speeds of 6,600 fps are now do able with the right equipment so that's 9,900 rpm with a 4" stroke or a 11,716 rpm with a 3.38 both higher than where a wedge engine can run at max efficiency.

Ok so this is one I've been pondering for a bit. Just to preface, it's purely an academic exercise to see if I can learn something.

So, take a stroker SB of choice. Call it a 408. Could be 390, or 416. Now take a 383/400/or 413. No stroker big blocks, that's not in the spirit of the experiment.

Top these engines off with a decent set of heads. Nothing wild and exotic, but a good set of well prepped heads your typical dude might run. Appropriate and fairly equivalent supporting valvetrain, intake, exhaust, compression etc.

Which series engine would better, in terms of power and torque production, and why?
One thing that requires consideration is end use. A light car for street, a car for racing or a work truck for towing.
For a street car my pick goes SB. For racing pick your poison. For a work truck, BB every time. A SB 408 can be built to produce pretty much the same torque and power as a BB 400 or 413. But which is more likely to last? There is a reason that heavy duty and industrial engines are heavy. Lots of cast iron to safely disipate vibrations without cracking. When big industrial engines crack, it is usually in the heads due to heat cycling and running at 90%+ power for days.
Heat cycling in a running engine you ask. Yup. When a cylinder fires, whether diesel or natural gas, the surfaces are subjected to high heat. Then it cools again slightly during the exhaust and intake strokes. Certain areas are prone to cracking, generally between valves or a valve and the injector or spark plug.

But you don't have to spend the coin for all the stroker stuff. All comes down to heads, combination and the stronger block.
I think the stroker point was to get engines of close displacement to conpare. A 390 against the 383, or a 408 compared with a 400 or 413.

I remember when de-stroking a engine was done to make power .... :D
...per cubic inch!, not power.
A gen 2 hemi might make more power per cubic inch at 366, or 396, and that might allow a class car to run at a lighter weight (and launch better, as a result) but you are not gonna make more POWER with a 396 inch hemi, than a 572 inch version.
The old modified production cars usually ran the smallest practical engine for the weight class, cause the heads at the time could feed a 265/283 (272, 291, 301) at high rpm, much easier than a 350/365/383. The Fords ran the best heads they could find.... on a 221.

...per cubic inch!, not power.
A gen 2 hemi might make more power per cubic inch at 366, or 396, and that might allow a class car to run at a lighter weight (and launch better, as a result) but you are not gonna make more POWER with a 396 inch hemi, than a 572 inch version.
The old modified production cars usually ran the smallest practical engine for the weight class, cause the heads at the time could feed a 265/283 (272, 291, 301) at high rpm, much easier than a 350/365/383. The Fords ran the best heads they could find.... on a 221.
and yet many will prefer a 340 to make HP over a 360 ...... :D

but you are not gonna make more POWER with a 396 inch hemi, than a 572 inch version.
Depends on powerbands and efficiency of each.
But generally the 572 would have operate at a fair low powerband and efficiency for the 396 to do better.

Dan the man strikes again, what do you disagree with and why don't you explain?

and yet many will prefer a 340 to make HP over a 360 ...... :D
I've got a hypothetical for you.
Suppose a 360 in 1968, with 10 to 1 compression, good 2.02 heads, pretty good camshaft, good exhaust manifolds, 750 or therabouts thermoquad. And then, a few years later, to meet smog regs, they disco"ed the 360, and brought out a brand new 340..... with a nothing cam, a two barrel carb, log manifolds, and 7.5 to one compression.
Think there would be a lot of love for the 340?
(All of the above mods can be done to a 360, to outdo most 340s.)

Let me explain Dan , the bigger bore is capable of moving more air than a smaller bore when comparing apples to apples. thus creating more power.
4.34" bore 4" stroke vs 4.00" x 4"

i'm just having fun... :D
Lets face it, if the year was 1968, from the factory the Big Block 440 commando weight to weight was the champion. I love the small blocks, but how they rolled from assembly the small blocks were in a heap of trouble in a HP/TQ comparison.

Big Block 440 commando
Isn't it odd the smaller cube 340 and 400 are capable of producing more power with a bigger bore than a 440 or 360 in stroked form. :D
When comparing apples

Isn't it odd the smaller cube 340 and 400 are capable of producing more power with a bigger bore than a 440 or 360 in stroked form. :D
When comparing apples
bottom line is you have to grow the cubic inches or there is no conversation. This is all to me like saying a slant six with a turbo can beat a stock 340. I mean..... ok

I've got a hypothetical for you.
Suppose a 360 in 1968, with 10 to 1 compression, good 2.02 heads, pretty good camshaft, good exhaust manifolds, 750 or therabouts thermoquad. And then, a few years later, to meet smog regs, they disco"ed the 360, and brought out a brand new 340..... with a nothing cam, a two barrel carb, log manifolds, and 7.5 to one compression.
Think there would be a lot of love for the 340?
(All of the above mods can be done to a 360, to outdo most 340s.)
Most people can't envision past what the factory deemed performance engines anyways, bet if the 318 came built with high CR 340 specs there would be less debates on here. I bet the 340 have less love, but that has little effect on it's capability.

-
Back