SBE 318 basic rebuild +CAM , INTAKE, HEADS, expectations?

-
While a 360 would be ideal in my case as well, I may do a little something to this 318 I have in my 68 Dart. At least the top end can transfer over to a fresh 360 short block. I’d like to maybe do a top end setup on this 318 just to see how well it runs. No HP or ET in mind for a goal.. just for it to be fun and sound the part .. the stock 318 runs well and doesn’t seem to take any oil.. other than leaky gaskets that’ll be fixed. It won’t set the world on fire with heads, cam, intake, carb and, headers but… it ought to be a spunky lil engine with the 4spd and 3.91 gear set
Hotroding = take what you have and make it work.

Hotroding = take what you have and make it work.
That’s been the thought process so far with this car.. granted, it should make a certain level of power given the bottom end is working properly and in good shape but.. building to make at least *** power.. I don’t really care that much. If it feels and performs the same after all that work, clearly there’s a problem.. heads, cam, and intake and let it rip.. it’s easy to get lost in bench racing and HP numbers.. I wanna make it fun to drive and make a guy like me take notice when ya hear it roll up..

That’s been the thought process so far with this car.. granted, it should make a certain level of power given the bottom end is working properly and in good shape but.. building to make at least *** power.. I don’t really care that much. If it feels and performs the same after all that work, clearly there’s a problem.. heads, cam, and intake and let it rip.. it’s easy to get lost in bench racing and HP numbers.. I wanna make it fun to drive and make a guy like me take notice when ya hear it roll up..
I have the same approach.. I just got tge speedmaster heads. Hughes is out of cams, there is no eta for tge whiplash I ordered. So I am.looking into howards grinds, however there eta is also nov.
So I'm basically still looking for a cam...
I am ready to assemble the engine fully.

I have the same approach.. I just got tge speedmaster heads. Hughes is out of cams, there is no eta for tge whiplash I ordered. So I am.looking into howards grinds, however there eta is also nov.
So I'm basically still looking for a cam...
I am ready to assemble the engine fully.
I’m looking at the SM heads as well.. I was looking at that cam and the comp thumpr but.. Howard’s may be an option as well. I’d like to go to hydraulic roller. SM has a sale on the top end kit minus cam and lifters for 2200.. heads, rockers, and air gap style intake manifold. I have a 4 spd and an 8 3/4 to swap in first. That alone will pep it up over the 904 and 2.76 one legger that’s in it now..

While a 360 would be ideal in my case as well, I may do a little something to this 318 I have in my 68 Dart. At least the top end can transfer over to a fresh 360 short block. I’d like to maybe do a top end setup on this 318 just to see how well it runs. No HP or ET in mind for a goal.. just for it to be fun and sound the part .. the stock 318 runs well and doesn’t seem to take any oil.. other than leaky gaskets that’ll be fixed. It won’t set the world on fire with heads, cam, intake, carb and, headers but… it ought to be a spunky lil engine with the 4spd and 3.91 gear set
Its been said Im sure before if its stock bottom say early 70s smog 318 it will run put of steam quick at like 5000r pm. It will sound good...

I have a problem
All cam manufacturers have problems with FT cores and so I have no eta for my whiplash order.

The motor had a comp grind in it that's in good condition.

I'm not sure about the specs

20240913_085403.jpg

It’s a 68 318. While still not ideal, it’s pre smog era
Good luck. I've heard of the attributes of the early 318. I think I'd measure how far down the hole the piston is and cc the heads and do the math to figure out compression ratio especially with a 340/360 head casting and compute it. I'd want to know...if it comes out "just right" you may be onto making some power with it. :thumbsup:

I have a problem
All cam manufacturers have problems with FT cores and so I have no eta for my whiplash order.

The motor had a comp grind in it that's in good condition.

I'm not sure about the specs

View attachment 1716302746
268H 268 intake and exhaust 218 218 @50 454 lift 110 106
Iam running the 268H
Its a good cam it puts the stock cam to shame has little chop

It’s a 68 318. While still not ideal, it’s pre smog era
Every engine got what I call free power, basically the power the stock heads and cr is capable of supporting with basic hot rodding, cam 4bbl headers tune etc.. A stock 318 should be able to squeeze 275-300 hp without going too crazy with cam. Now above that heads and cr need to be addressed and think it's fair to say if going that far would a 360 or whatever engine be better?

Generally displacement mainly allows for less gear, less rpm, better idle etc.. which for especially the street are generally desirable traits. But power wise if that stuff don't matter to you a 318 is capable of more power then most would build it to it can basically run all the same parts and if running the same stroke displacement difference shrinks considerably is it worth doing that's up to the ones building them. To a lot of big block guys no small block is worth doing.

To me if you got a good running 318 in the car, adding basic performance parts is a no brainer, but not if your pulling the engine to build or do more than a basic hop up or whatever reason, your probably better off with at least a 360, if for no other reason but to be able to run less rear gear for similar performance.

Here's the problem as I see it....You're gonna do all that and "let it rip" and when it doesn't "rip" you will suddenly see all of your time/$$$ and efforts in vain. At least that's what I went through. J.Rob

I originally ordered a whiplash cam from Hughes. To use with the SBE and 360 heads.

However I opted for Speedmaster heads, and cancelled the whiplash due to lead time.
( no FT cam cores available).

That's actually good since I decided to utilize the heads flow advantage and get a custom cam regri d reusing my comp 268H that was in it.

I am finalizing the cam specs with
OREGON CAMSHAFT, who will do the job for me.

In the meantime the heads are on and it will be decent enough for me.

20240913_181913.jpg

20240913_192253.jpg

20240913_192358.jpg

-
Back