SBE 318 basic rebuild +CAM , INTAKE, HEADS, expectations?

-
Purdy clean lookin. Let's see the chamber sides.
See here

20240818_174339.jpg

20240818_174343.jpg

20240818_174346.jpg

Yea... they are fine.. they not.
As far as I understand, within this casting# is different cc chambers options?
Can you tell visually what cc we have here?
No. You're going to have to have them measured.

Yea... they are fine.. they not.
As far as I understand, within this casting# is different cc chambers options?
Can you tell visually what cc we have here?
Not different options, just the tolerance are so great that it could be anywhere in that cc range.

Have you looked for a used set of promaxx or SM heads? no reason to avoid used since even if you get new someone will have to check them out anyway...

Nevermind... only used ones you can find people want the same as new for...

Have you looked for a used set of promaxx or SM heads? no reason to avoid used since even if you get new someone will have to check them out anyway...
Yes i did i havent found any yet... and most likly shipping is killing the deal

i heard if you get on teh phone witht he SM sales guys you can get discount ..

Different size main brgs. It is possible that not all the crank journals were ground to 020 under. Unusual but possible. Measure crank to make sure.

@Sebambam What are your plans for the 440 heads that you have mentioned? It sounds like you are putting time and money into them.

Different size main brgs. It is possible that not all the crank journals were ground to 020 under. Unusual but possible. Measure crank to make sure.
just meassured with a simple caliper

Mains came back as 2.500 in
only the rear main seal one is 2.688/2.690

I just confirmed that my 360 J heads have .520lift springs in it , so I get the heads milled .030 to clean up and get some compression up and reuse them..

the damaged has been done.

440 is Sold!

the 318 bottom end is assembled with new rings and all new bearings.
( i did the piston flip/swap method, as a ol skool racer trick = i always wanted to try that lol)

Hughes whiplash cam is ordered and on BACKORDER lol

the Ebay Airgap Dual plane intake is here waiting for installation ( nice piece actually)

the Speedmaster heads are ordered and in the "build to order stage"

it should be the best approach for the SBE build i ve been looking for.

PS:
the 360 J Iron heads are at the machine shop regardless for inspection and .030 mill
they have Comp valve springs for .500 Lift Max
and i will sell them once they done .

the damaged has been done.

440 is Sold!

the 318 bottom end is assembled with new rings and all new bearings.
( i did the piston flip/swap method, as a ol skool racer trick = i always wanted to try that lol)

the Ebay Airgap Dual plane intake is here waiting for installation ( nice piece actually)

it should be the best approach for the SBE build i ve been looking for.

PS:
the 360 J Iron heads are at the machine shop regardless for inspection and .030 mill
they have Comp valve springs for .500 Lift Max
and i will sell them once they done .
Sounds good.. if you want to get it done look at some howards cams in the same specs... they are good about keeping stock

Last edited:

You got the lifters too? Don't cheap out on those, Hughes has few choices on their site.

did the piston flip/swap method, as a ol skool racer trick = i always wanted to try that lol)
I hope you have the rods facing the correct direction, because they are directional. I'm sure you did.

You got the lifters too? Don't cheap out on those, Hughes has few choices on their site.

I hope you have the rods facing the correct direction, because they are directional. I'm sure you did.
Yes I got the lifters.

Yes chamfer side to the crank weights... otherwise it wouldn't rotate since it binds when torqued

I'm not a cam expert, i'm sure someone will chime in with a suggestion for a substitute though
I'm the farthest thing from a cam expert, but cylinder pressure was a concern when I built my engine because it replaced a 400 with 100-105 PSI. That thing would start and sounded good but was pitiful otherwise. It needed over 20* of timing to even start to act right.

I replaced that with a 360 +.030, speed pro pistons, e-heads, RPM air gap, Doug's headers. The car has a 4spd w/ 3.91s.

I used a Howard's 711451-08 with the intention to preserve cylinder pressure. Ordered from Jeg's, shipped direct from Howards, arrived sooner than predicted.
Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft; 1964 - 2003 Chrysler 273, 340, 360 1800 to 5800 Howards Cams 711451-08 | Howards Cams

The fellow who recommended it ran my numbers through some software and convinced me the Whiplash is not going to help unless you just want the engine to sound good. He has a little bit of a hate-on for them (many do) but everything he explained made sense.

Alternatively, Howard's recommended this one
Hydraulic Flat Tappet Street Force 2 Camshaft; 1964 - 2003 Chrysler 273, 340, 360 1500 to 5000 Howards Cams 710031-12 | Howards Cams

Yes I got the lifters.

Yes chamfer side to the crank weights... otherwise it wouldn't rotate since it binds when torqued
You also have little squirter holes that need to face the inside, but if you just swapped left and right and had them flipped it should be in the correct direction.

Last edited:
My 318 just sounded good with a cam headers and 4 barrel other than that ran like a 318 drank gas etc. For all the trouble putting it together, rather have a 360...

While a 360 would be ideal in my case as well, I may do a little something to this 318 I have in my 68 Dart. At least the top end can transfer over to a fresh 360 short block. I’d like to maybe do a top end setup on this 318 just to see how well it runs. No HP or ET in mind for a goal.. just for it to be fun and sound the part .. the stock 318 runs well and doesn’t seem to take any oil.. other than leaky gaskets that’ll be fixed. It won’t set the world on fire with heads, cam, intake, carb and, headers but… it ought to be a spunky lil engine with the 4spd and 3.91 gear set

-
Back