SBE 318 basic rebuild +CAM , INTAKE, HEADS, expectations?

-
whiplash cams work just fine. Don't ask anyone that has put a purple shaft or any cam, cut on a 108, in at 100-102, close to the same approach.

72-73 340's can run really hard even with the lower compression.

what you think about decking it with the OEM Flat top pistons?
how much could be done ?
I don't mean cut that much off, any bit helps, you can build a decent engine with 8.8-9.2:1.

whiplash cams work just fine. Don't ask anyone that has put a purple shaft or any cam, cut on a 108, in at 100-102, close to the same approach.

72-73 340's can run really hard even with the lower compression.
In other words the cams too big to begin with so cutting it on a tight LSA and advancing it a bunch to close the intake valve sooner will make it appear smaller to make up for the lack of compression

I don't mean cut that much off, any bit helps, you can build a decent engine with 8.8-9.2:1.
I like to 13:1 or better. lol
A good cylinder head and intake combination goes a long way perking up a low compression engine with a little bit of cam.

How much difference was the cr in high and low cr 340's ?
I know on paper it was 10.5:1 vs 8.5:1, but always heard the high cr 340 was more like 9.5:1 which makes wonder if the low cr was as far off ?

I like to 13:1 or better. lol
A good cylinder head and intake combination goes a long way perking up a low compression engine with a little bit of cam.
Higher VE% will have more air in the cylinder to compress in the 1st place.

Only Francis I know about

1723942798855.png

what you think about decking it with the OEM Flat top pistons?
how much could be done ?

i am dumping the 360 heads and i consider the SM 65cc chamber heads
whit the Whiplash Cam (didnt know about this cam before )
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?partid=30170
Here's what I would do in your situation. I would run that engine as is. Don't look for the thinnest head gasket. That's a mistake too often repeated. Look for the head gasket with the smallest compressed volume. That's what you're lookin for. Have the heads milled .030" but NO more, or the intake may not fit. It'll still fit with the heads milled .030. This way, instead of taking heavy cuts on the block or heads and having to mill the intake you won't have to. Now whatever intake you choose you can use on any other small block, because you will not have milled it to match heads or block. Then, I would run a camshaft similar to this: CAMSHAFT Notice it's low lift, so you can use the cheap Comp 901 spring and it's ground on 108 lobe centers. This will pick up cylinder pressure. Also it has 225 @ .050" duration which will have a noticeable little chop. I'd stab it in right where the cam card says. An Edelbrock 650 AVS2 would be perfect.

Here's what I would do in your situation. I would run that engine as is. Don't look for the thinnest head gasket. That's a mistake too often repeated. Look for the head gasket with the smallest compressed volume. That's what you're lookin for. Have the heads milled .030" but NO more, or the intake may not fit. It'll still fit with the heads milled .030. This way, instead of taking heavy cuts on the block or heads and having to mill the intake you won't have to. Now whatever intake you choose you can use on any other small block, because you will not have milled it to match heads or block. Then, I would run a camshaft similar to this: CAMSHAFT Notice it's low lift, so you can use the cheap Comp 901 spring and it's ground on 108 lobe centers. This will pick up cylinder pressure. Also it has 225 @ .050" duration which will have a noticeable little chop. I'd stab it in right where the cam card says. An Edelbrock 650 AVS2 would be perfect.
IIRC that cam suggested CL is 104 so it's +4

thats a very nice advise, thank you

i like the tip with he EDDIE AVS carb, i never ran one but i just swapped a buddies 84 Monte carlo SS from 305 to a 350 and used a AVS2 , it was great right out of the box. only a lil tweaking was needed.

cam suggestion = nice

when i researched the cam that was in it i found this:
COMP Cams 20-212-2 COMP Cams High Energy Camshafts | Summit Racing
and there is a XE version of it
DODGE COMP Cams 20-223-3 COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts | Summit Racing
however i couldnt see a XE stamping

Good tip on the 360 Heads .. i can have them cleaned and milled .030 no problem.
the Heads where obviously set up for the cam , So i can get the Valve springs checked and see what the pressure etc it is.
Also get the valve guides etc inspected.. If that checks out good a milling makes sense!

* i just dont go down the rabbit hole of having this heads "rebuild" with valve job, springs , guides etc at that point i spend 650$

thats a very nice advise, thank you

i like the tip with he EDDIE AVS carb, i never ran one but i just swapped a buddies 84 Monte carlo SS from 305 to a 350 and used a AVS2 , it was great right out of the box. only a lil tweaking was needed.

cam suggestion = nice

when i researched the cam that was in it i found this:
COMP Cams 20-212-2 COMP Cams High Energy Camshafts | Summit Racing
and there is a XE version of it
DODGE COMP Cams 20-223-3 COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts | Summit Racing
however i couldnt see a XE stamping

Good tip on the 360 Heads .. i can have them cleaned and milled .030 no problem.
the Heads where obviously set up for the cam , So i can get the Valve springs checked and see what the pressure etc it is.
Also get the valve guides etc inspected.. If that checks out good a milling makes sense!

* i just dont go down the rabbit hole of having this heads "rebuild" with valve job, springs , guides etc at that point i spend 650$
I would also have a fresh valve job done and get the intake valves back cut with a 30 degree angle.

True, but I would spend the money on pistons first.

Well, if we subtract the cost of the heads, new pistons, bore is pretty much a wash.

-
Back