shots from the garage...

-
Probably a good thing I haven’t been racing as the house got a new A/C system. Kind of important in these parts. Pushed the car back to make some room and was greeted with a small puddle of something…. Thought it was brake fluid but alas, it’s shock oil. So I guess the Afcos will get sent in for some love too.

View attachment 1716225661

That’s a slick panel!

It’s been an interesting spring….. hearing about your friends attending races kinda sucks, but yet I really don’t miss the packing and hours of driving involved to get to the track. Got my shocks back from Afco and have the rears mounted and will have the fronts probably hung tomorrow night. I’ve made it racing every year since 1991….. I’m starting to wonder if that streak will be broken. I honestly think that if someone dropped me the right number I’d let it all go. We’ll let the summer heat pass and see what fall will bring.

IMG_7988.jpeg

Well I seem to be stuck in an interesting predicament. I know the K is bent, but I can’t seem to get the guy who built it very interested in building me a new one. I’d consider taking it off and attempting to straighten it, but that’d require a jig that I don’t have. I guess I’m going to have to look into some other set up. Can’t/won’t sell it in its current condition and definitely can’t race it.

Every year starts out the same ,always busy actually going to the track is something I have to work into the schedule...car shows the same seems like there was more time when I was younger.

Got a friend that’s built a couple of K members so when things cool a bit I’ll head west and see if we can straighten this mess out….. once that occurs I’ll be sure to hit the track and verify that it’s “good” and the whole operation will be going up for sale. It’s been a good run.

Got a friend that’s built a couple of K members so when things cool a bit I’ll head west and see if we can straighten this mess out….. once that occurs I’ll be sure to hit the track and verify that it’s “good” and the whole operation will be going up for sale. It’s been a good run.

Sorry to hear this.

what ????

Yes it has been a good run! I understand where you're at. It takes a village and resources. I just bought a newer, lower trailer to make things easier. I've been lucky with my combos panning out to where the results have offset the sacrifices made and that helps for me. Aside from that I haven't been doing it on my own stuff for too long. Many factors weigh-in on these decisions. Nothing but respect from afar with your journey.

who built the "K" frame ?
Comp Chassis in Phoenix. Mike has done the K in house, the cage and re-did the ladder bar set up. Unfortunately his work has been limited as the guy he was leasing the shop from passed….. left a couple messages and have talked to him once in the past couple months. Can’t get an answer from him….. but I see on FB where he’s been working on stuff….. kind of frustrating, but if I’d NOT allowed a K member bolt to go MIA we wouldn’t be having this conversation. Fwiw it’s a “race” piece and quite light. It’s 110 in the garage, I work in a 95 degree shop all day….. it’s REALLY hard to care about a race car at this point. Sheesh I’m old!!

Well….. the car is heading to phoenix on Friday. Got a message from Mike and it’s game on. I’ll be relieved to have everything “right” again…. but putting the wheels back on the trailer in this heat was not fun. Only required a couple cool off sessions in the pool. We’ll load her up tomorrow and head east bright and early Friday. Great time of the year to miss a day of work for sure! Plans this fall is the California Hot Rod Reunion in October. If she drives straight and strong we’ll see what the future holds.

I am hopeful that assuming the car works like you hope it will, selling it gets put on the back burner.
And for the record, you ain’t old, lol
I’m old :lol:

Pretty much!!! If we get the move done I’ll be 300+ miles one way to either of the “close” race tracks. 10+ hrs butt time. I’ll go through more travel fuel in a weekend than you will all season. Writings on the wall…..

Well after 8 long months we finally made some hits. The Mopar Musclecar Shootout was held at Famoso and despite the weather forecast we made the 5hr trek west. This event had previously been a Sacramento race, but with the closing of that facility the promoter brought it south. Attendance could have been better, but I think they’re already looking for a later date next year. I’ll be honest…. If it were not for seeing my Central Valley brethren I’d a pulled the plug on this deal. 104 degrees is a fire suit ain’t my kinda fun.
The front end shake in shutdown is still alive and well. Nothing changed changing the rotors maybe 10 passes ago, but got home and made a bench jig and measured the runout and it needs to be addressed. I’ll take the rotor off the hub, double check the mounting surfaces and see if I can get it close before using the on car lathe at work to true them up.
Second issue…. Intermittent loss of two step. On two passes it just went straight to stall speed. That’ll be a fun one to figure out! Cost me a shot at round one.

IMG_0069.jpeg

IMG_9812.jpeg

IMG_0061.jpeg

Well after 8 long months we finally made some hits. The Mopar Musclecar Shootout was held at Famoso and despite the weather forecast we made the 5hr trek west. This event had previously been a Sacramento race, but with the closing of that facility the promoter brought it south. Attendance could have been better, but I think they’re already looking for a later date next year. I’ll be honest…. If it were not for seeing my Central Valley brethren I’d a pulled the plug on this deal. 104 degrees is a fire suit ain’t my kinda fun.
The front end shake in shutdown is still alive and well. Nothing changed changing the rotors maybe 10 passes ago, but got home and made a bench jig and measured the runout and it needs to be addressed. I’ll take the rotor off the hub, double check the mounting surfaces and see if I can get it close before using the on car lathe at work to true them up.
Second issue…. Intermittent loss of two step. On two passes it just went straight to stall speed. That’ll be a fun one to figure out! Cost me a shot at round one.

View attachment 1716301755

View attachment 1716301756

View attachment 1716301757
Nice perseverance Jay, car is still badazz. Sorry I haven't commented well recently but, I'm having my own issues.

Well the same fixture I conjured up to check runout came in real handy to mount in a vice at work and machine the rotors. Got those trued up and in taking a peek at the two step deal I found the plug from the two step to the MSD box loose…. Like really loose. I think the circuit board was holding the wiring in. Got the terminals tightened up so we’ll see how that goes.
Rest of the front end parts should show up today and the garage is below 100 now so that’s a bonus. Next chore…. get aligned and hauled to Vegas for chassis recert.

IMG_9890.jpeg

Well the same fixture I conjured up to check runout came in real handy to mount in a vice at work and machine the rotors. Got those trued up and in taking a peek at the two step deal I found the plug from the two step to the MSD box loose…. Like really loose. I think the circuit board was holding the wiring in. Got the terminals tightened up so we’ll see how that goes.
Rest of the front end parts should show up today and the garage is below 100 now so that’s a bonus. Next chore…. get aligned and hauled to Vegas for chassis recert.

View attachment 1716302784
Should be able to try the two step at home. Just Dont drive it through the house garage wall.

and despite writing down all the pertinent measurements I ordered the wrong heim ends for my A-arms…. Ordered the correct ones and have the wrongs ready to ship back. Guess I’ll take the weekend off :)

and despite writing down all the pertinent measurements I ordered the wrong heim ends for my A-arms…. Ordered the correct ones and have the wrongs ready to ship back. Guess I’ll take the weekend off :)

Cooler times are headed your way.

Very cool car, Jay and it's haulin azz too. Keep your chin up, bud.

-
Back