Show your slant 6 a body!

-
Here's my 72 with 225 /6 the day it was brought home. Plan was to put in a goosed 318, 727, 8.75 that I have sitting here, but in the spring I might just get this on the road and enjoy it with the 6 while I fix it up a bit. If I find a different car to put the 8 in, maybe this 6 will be spared!

IMAG0390Dart.jpg

IMG_5980email.jpg

IMG_5982email.jpg

IMG_6015.jpg

IMG_6012.jpg

IMG_5992email.jpg

Lucy, My Daily Driver:
DSC_0354.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

The eng. compartment has since been cleaned up and I put a factory air cleaner back on...maybe I need some more pics.

Bill,I've got to tell you that's one fine looking car !!! I'd so love to be out that way to watch it run !!!Any idea on a time frame when it'll be ready ?? Might just have to convince my wife I need a vacation to come watch !! :prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

Bill,I've got to tell you that's one fine looking car !!! I'd so love to be out that way to watch it run !!!Any idea on a time frame when it'll be ready ?? Might just have to convince my wife I need a vacation to come watch !! :prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

I really appreciate the kind words! Our "to do" list is pretty long, but we keep pluggin' away at it; I think we're gonna try to get the fuel system installed this weekend, but that's just one thing; we still have to get the whole car wired, and a zillion "little things" like the bung for the 02 sensor welded into the down-pipe, and the waste-gate installed and adjusted. Then, there's the oil supply line and drain, for the turbo.. and most of the gauges need to be wired/hooked up.

LOTSA "little stuff" that is time-consuming.

So, to answer your question, I'd say maybe May.... and, hope that I am not too far off. It doesn't help that I live 35 miles from the shop where the car is... that's an additional hour-and-a-half round trip, to say nothing of the $13.00-worth of gas it burns up.

As slow as we are, you'll probably have your Dart on the strip before we get this thing done...

Thanks for your nice comments and interest. I'd love to actually meet you, sometime. I'll keep posting updates on this forum, and I hope that you will, too. Maybe we'll get together, down the road... :cheers:

You don't need luck, just bigger tires! :burnout:

How's this???? 9"wide Hoosiers... If I can't make it hook with those and the Cal-Tracs, shame on me!!!!

Attachments

• 100_3622.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 996
  • 100_3641.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 984
  • 100_3680.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 991
HELL yeah

LOVE those Moon disks!! Thanks for the pic!!!

aww thanks, man. funny, i love your car too i just reckon it's missing one thing - MOON DISCS.

nah seriously, this is my fourth VC Valiant, and i've always wanted to do this look (white walls / moon discs). i would have liked to get the style that screw onto the rim for the 'realism', but i'm unlikely to ever make it to the salt flats so i guess the 'push on' style will have to do.

aww thanks, man. funny, i love your car too i just reckon it's missing one thing - MOON DISCS.

nah seriously, this is my fourth VC Valiant, and i've always wanted to do this look (white walls / moon discs). i would have liked to get the style that screw onto the rim for the 'realism', but i'm unlikely to ever make it to the salt flats so i guess the 'push on' style will have to do.

I have thought about getting some screw-on aluminum Moon discs for our Valiant, and, it may happen yet, You don't have to race at Bonneville to sport Moon discs... LOL!

What is a "VC" Valiant? We don't have those over on this side of the pond... Just curious.

'VC' is the Australian Chrysler 1966 /1967 model.
came as a sedan, wagoon or ute, slant six or 273 V8 ('standard' was the basic no heater manual three on tree or 'regal', which was auto with heater / demist and split-bench seats)
it's pretty much the same as your '66 Valiants (signet / 'cuda etc) as far as the the hip-line from nose to tail, but different grill and lights and we never got the 2-door.
oh, and we sit on the correct side of the car, giving heaps of room to fit long-primary extractors and stuff . . .

'VC' is the Australian Chrysler 1966 /1967 model.
came as a sedan, wagoon or ute, slant six or 273 V8 ('standard' was the basic no heater manual three on tree or 'regal', which was auto with heater / demist and split-bench seats)
it's pretty much the same as your '66 Valiants (signet / 'cuda etc) as far as the the hip-line from nose to tail, but different grill and lights and we never got the 2-door.
oh, and we sit on the correct side of the car, giving heaps of room to fit long-primary extractors and stuff . . .

Thanks for the explanation! I had heard that "VC" name bandied about from other Aussies, but always wondered what it meant.

Was there a "Barracuda" body in Oz on 1964-'66?

Insofar as "we sit on the correct side of the car, giving heaps of room to fit long-primary extractors and stuff . . ."

Well, most folks are right-handed, and that arrangement puts them to having to work the 4-speed floor-shifter with their LEFT hand, not the most expeditious idea... plus, turbos don't have any use for "long extractors" and if you're running a slant six without one (turbo,) to say that you could be going faster is an understatement.

So, the "correct side of the car" is a matter of opinion, I think...:violent1:

Here's a picture of an appropriate "long extractor".... LOL!

Attachments

• js640_100_3489-2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 973
  • js640_turboside.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 982
*smirk* RHS / LHS = the ongoing battle. no, we never had a 'cuda here (*sob*). we had coupes and the later hard tops and of course our version of a charger, but the only 2-door variant of the smaller 60's was the ute.

(someones VC ute - posted as an example. NOT MINE!)
CopyofFleet002.jpg

some proper info : http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_chrysler_valiant_vc.htm

seriously though, i keep thinking about a small supercharger like the toyota SC14. whilst yes it's lower boost, wouldn't it also be easier to fit?

i dunno - i'm just focussed on fitting my twin carbies and extractors on the stock engine this year . . .

EDIT - of course, if i could get an exhaust manifold like that on this side of the pond i could change my mind!

*smirk* RHS / LHS = the ongoing battle. no, we never had a 'cuda here (*sob*). we had coupes and the later hard tops and of course our version of a charger, but the only 2-door variant of the smaller 60's was the ute.

(someones VC ute - posted as an example. NOT MINE!)
CopyofFleet002.jpg

some proper info : http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_chrysler_valiant_vc.htm

seriously though, i keep thinking about a small supercharger like the toyota SC14. whilst yes it's lower boost, wouldn't it also be easier to fit?

i dunno - i'm just focussed on fitting my twin carbies and extractors on the stock engine this year . . .

EDIT - of course, if i could get an exhaust manifold like that on this side of the pond i could change my mind!

I am not sure, but that supercharger sounds like a good idea. I've never seen one, so I just don't know. My partner had never held a header in his hand, and he built that header as a "first time" project. I never touched it except to bolt it onto the engine...
My point is, I think his reason for doing that, single-handedly, was to point out that anyone could do it,

I'm not sure ~I~ could...:angry2:

Thanks for that photo of the ute; we never got anything like that, here.

It's cool!!!:D

yeah. you got the barracuda and the Signet 2-door / convertables. we got the ute. who's the winner here?
note that the ute doors are sedan-length, not the longer ones you folks have . . .

I know one block who mated a T4 adaptor to a stock /6 exhaust manifold. it would'a worked, but he never completed the turbo install.

i personally grew up in a world where superchargers rule and turbos simply didn't exist (seen Mad Max / the Road Warrior? i'll tell you it ain't a turbo wastegate thats peeping through the bonnet of his black interceptor!!!!)

i've seen kits to jam an SC14 supercharger onto a Ford straight six or GM V6.
for a /6 far as i can see, it's all about a bracket to get the pulley lined up, and getting the right pulley ratio's to get the blower spinning to the right PSI. After that, it's just making sure the air/fuel mixture is right and is being directed smoothly into the intake manifold . . .
i know it's a small blower designed to go on a 2litre four-pot. but from what i've even 6 > 8 pounds would light up a stock /6, huh?

This is my clean, straight, no-rust, low-miles, well-equipped and heavily-hyphenated 1973 Dodge Dart Custom. (it's for sale; ad is posted here):

Front view
73LH41_F34.jpg

Rear view
73LH41_R34.jpg

Left Quarter Panel (entire body is this straight and unrusted)
73LH41_Leftquarter.jpg

Holy wah…it's a Dart!
73LH41_Rear.jpg

Front interior
73LH41_Front_Int.jpg

Rear interior
73LH41_Rear_int.jpg

Instrument panel (before add-on temp gauge removed & original gauge fixed)
73LH41_IP.jpg

Middle of dashboard
73LH41_Dashcentre.jpg

Right side dashboard
73LH41_Dashright.jpg

Door panel (they're all this nice)
73LH41_Doorpanel.jpg

Underside
73LH41_Undercar.jpg

Underhood (before upgrades)
73LH41_Underhood.jpg

Fender tag
73LH41_Fendertag.jpg

On Halloween (looking down from my roof, lit only
by distant Sodium street lights, 60-second exposure)

73LH41_Night.jpg

Here's mine, We call it the Banana Rocket or the Nuclear Banana.
225, 3 speed, one barrel.
188356_10150442519595007_822400006_17378786_908037_n.jpg

It had about a foot wide hole in the front seat when I got it, replaced them with Buckets that are coloured.......... PINK, yep.

yeah. you got the barracuda and the Signet 2-door / convertables. we got the ute. who's the winner here?
note that the ute doors are sedan-length, not the longer ones you folks have . . .

I know one block who mated a T4 adaptor to a stock /6 exhaust manifold. it would'a worked, but he never completed the turbo install.

i personally grew up in a world where superchargers rule and turbos simply didn't exist (seen Mad Max / the Road Warrior? i'll tell you it ain't a turbo wastegate thats peeping through the bonnet of his black interceptor!!!!)

i've seen kits to jam an SC14 supercharger onto a Ford straight six or GM V6.
for a /6 far as i can see, it's all about a bracket to get the pulley lined up, and getting the right pulley ratio's to get the blower spinning to the right PSI. After that, it's just making sure the air/fuel mixture is right and is being directed smoothly into the intake manifold . . .
i know it's a small blower designed to go on a 2litre four-pot. but from what i've even 6 > 8 pounds would light up a stock /6, huh?

Well, I think Ma Mopar would have been money ahead if she'd allowed the stateside dealers to sell utes, and sent some 2-door sedans and 2-door hardtops to Oz, but what do I know???

Insofar as turbos go, I was way ignorant of what a turbo could do for an engine until I started paying some attention to the Buick Grand Nationals a few yers ago. I stumbled onto this site, which has two members with two really fast slant six turbo cars, both of which piqued my interest. I had built a Vortech-supercharged '72 Valiant using a 360 Magnum, and mid 11's was about as fast as it would run, because the engine was stock except for the blower. Oh, it did have a mild cam, but I'm not sure that helped much.

The bottom line was, both of these turbocharged slant six cars were a LOT faster than my 360 Magnum Valiant. A LOT faster!!!

Made me think, "I gotta get me some of that!!!"

So, my racing partner and I decided we'd build a copycat turbo /6 engine and rake in some of this free horsepower!!!:tonqe:

Well, 2and 1/2 years later, we still are not finished with this thing, but we're makin' progress. A couple more months, and we're liable to fire this Frankensix up on a drag strip and see what we have wrought.

That's gonna be interesting.

Let's see... NO experience with turbos and NO experience with slant 6's.... equals a steep learning curve, I'm afraid.

We'll see... :prayer::prayer::prayer::prayer:

Attachments

• 100_3649.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 929
I really appreciate the kind words! Our "to do" list is pretty long, but we keep pluggin' away at it; I think we're gonna try to get the fuel system installed this weekend, but that's just one thing; we still have to get the whole car wired, and a zillion "little things" like the bung for the 02 sensor welded into the down-pipe, and the waste-gate installed and adjusted. Then, there's the oil supply line and drain, for the turbo.. and most of the gauges need to be wired/hooked up.

LOTSA "little stuff" that is time-consuming.

So, to answer your question, I'd say maybe May.... and, hope that I am not too far off. It doesn't help that I live 35 miles from the shop where the car is... that's an additional hour-and-a-half round trip, to say nothing of the $13.00-worth of gas it burns up.

As slow as we are, you'll probably have your Dart on the strip before we get this thing done...

Thanks for your nice comments and interest. I'd love to actually meet you, sometime. I'll keep posting updates on this forum, and I hope that you will, too. Maybe we'll get together, down the road... :cheers:

I often thought how kool it would be to run the Slant 6 Racing Series some day !!I'd still like to do some mini tubs and get a slick like yours to be tucked up underneath the body !!It will be very interesting to see how your 9" Slicks ( had to choose these words carefully)hook up with all your boost !!

I often thought how kool it would be to run the Slant 6 Racing Series some day !!I'd still like to do some mini tubs and get a slick like yours to be tucked up underneath the body !!It will be very interesting to see how your 9" Slicks ( had to choose these words carefully)hook up with all your boost !!

These are 9" tires on a Stocker.... 1.31-second 60-footers.

That is a 625 hp car that has a 427 big block (HEAVY!) under the hood...

The secret? It's all in the track prep. Lotsa VHT...

Our car won't be running much boost until we get the chassis dialed in, if we ever do.

We are really pushing the envelope, trying to run those 9"-wide tires without even moving the springs. But, so far, there's no interference.

The Cal-Tracs should cause the back of the car to LIFT on accelleration, not "squat." If they work the way we hope they will, that should ease the clearance problems, somewhat.

Or, we COULD install some mini-tubs...

Just what we need; another project... LOL!

I don't THEENK so!!!:disgust:

Attachments

• rooper-2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 925
-
Back